Glee -- "the Sue Sylvester Bowl Shuffle" -- 2/6/11 Approx 10:30 start time

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glee -- "the Sue Sylvester Bowl Shuffle" -- 2/6/11 Approx 10:30 start time

aka the Super Bowl episode
Spoiler:
A local football championship game takes place and the New Directions tackle a "Thriller" and "Heads Will Roll" mash-up, performed during the halftime show. Mr. Schuester and Coach Beiste devise a plot to bring together the warring glee club and football team factions, and the Cheerios, McKinley High's cheerleading team, compete at Regionals; Sue, desperate to win, launches a dangerous plan to bring home a trophy

Original Air Date February 6,2011
the song list
Spoiler:
"Thriller"/"Heads Will Roll" (Michael Jackson and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
"Bills, Bills, Bills" Destiny's Child
"California Gurls" (performed strictly as a dance number and will open the episode)
"Need You Now" Lady Antebellum
"She's Not There" The Zombies

My DVR currently has the episode listed to run from 10:30 to 11:30 but padding will prob def be necessary for those that don't plan on watching this live.

According to Wiki, this is the most expensive episode to date and also the most expensive post super bowl episode in history at approx 5 million dollars. And also according to Wiki, the most watch post game show was a Friends 1 hour episode w 52 million viewers.
Old 02-05-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Glee -- "the Sue Sylvester Bowl Shuffle" -- 2/6/11 Approx 10:30 start time

More money doesn't necessarily mean better quality; unfortunately, I don't think Ryan Murphy understands that. I'm not expecting much from the episode, as Glee has definitely fallen off, but I'll keep watching, because every once in a while the show does show signs of what it once was (the Christmas episode being the best episode all season).

But man, I'm really intrigued about that mash-up. Could turn out to be pretty bad, but the combination definitely has potential.
Old 02-05-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glee may have issues, but it's introducing this music lover to music I wouldn't be listening to otherwise (anything current). I constantly listen to the full version of Teenage Dream or watch the video. Beautifully done. They're doing California Girls (I saw a preview of it already). They're doing Thriller, which is what I want to see.

Yes, the show is having some growing pains. Also, and some of the recent exchanges involving Ryan Murphy and his reactions to people not OK'ing the use of their music has made me aware of him as a person in a way that isn't altogether favorable. But I still watch the videos of Me Against The Music and Take A Bow (to mention a few). I even watch Empire State of Mind to laugh at Finn rapping and Kurt trying to thug out.

Then there's Charice. I wouldn't know her except her performance of "Listen" made me look into her. Then I came to find out Oprah and David Foster have pushed her. I watched some of performances, including singing on Oprah, which led to singing with Celine Dion at MSG, and at David Foster's induction. Sure these things were out there, but I wouldn't know about them if it weren't for Glee.

Growing pains and all, Glee is one of the best things going for the music business right now. That the creator appears to be a bit of a jerk is something I hope never really becomes an issue for me. Already though, I pay more attention to some things rather than just sitting back and enjoying the show. For instance, I believe he's gay, which I now take into account when I think, "You know, they're going way too far with this Kurt storyline." If the creator is gay, I can see why he'd want to use his pulpit to get some messages out. There's a flip side, though. Everyone has a tipping point, and when you reach it, you're more likely to feel he's putting his personal (PERSONAL) agenda over the well being of the show. That can lead to turnoff. While I think he may have stepped over the line, and may do so again, I think he's too smart to go too far in the wrong direction.

As for Big Money episodes... well, more money doesn't always mean better, but it also doesn't mean worse. Sometimes, if you see the money on the screen, it's worth it. Titanic was the costliest movie made when it was made, and though there was backlash, it ended up being the biggest grossing movie of all time. You saw it on the screen. Thriller was the costliest video of all time (at least for awhile). I can remember when it came out it was quoted to have cost a million dollars (in 80's money). It was basically a short film. You saw it on the screen. Are we going to see it on the screen with this episode of Glee? I'm going to trust in the people that have created things I enjoy so far and hope we will. If we don't, wean always be disappointed later.
Old 02-05-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just mean, that sometimes less is more. And Glee definitely doesn't understand that. Glee now operates under the model that that bigger necessarily means better, which it doesn't. You're right, it doesn't necessarily mean worse, but sometimes more money leads to a worse product. When you give someone more money to play with, they might become overindulgent and sacrifice story for flash.

And yeah, Titanic grossed a ton of money and has impressive visuals, but that marks the downfall of James Cameron as a good storyteller as far as I'm concerned. To me, that was using a lot of money to paint a pretty picture, but without giving any real depth or meaning to the painting.

In any event, I'm just thankful they aren't going with yet another tribute episode.
Old 02-05-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

FYI, this episode is supposed to run 66 minutes. And yes if your not a football fan, I would recommend padding at least 1 hour.

Here's the cast promo photo FOX released for this episode:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2011-02-04
Old 02-05-11, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

66 Minutes with or without commercials?
Old 02-05-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
66 Minutes with or without commercials?
With commercials of course.
Old 02-05-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing the bulk of the budget was to secure rights to "Thriller".
Old 02-05-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'm guessing the bulk of the budget was to secure rights to "Thriller".
that and theres a "stunt"
Spoiler:
during the California Gurls number where the cheerios have fire sparklers shooting out of their bras
Old 02-05-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow, quite a bit of agreement going on. To add further fuel to the fire, according to a recent EW this episode is centered around Kurt and the football bully plot.

Yea!
Old 02-05-11, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Not a good show to try and get new viewers.
Old 02-05-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd rather watch this 11 times in a row:
Old 02-05-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Been waiting for this one for what seems like forever.
Old 02-05-11, 09:34 PM
Banned

I can't imagine anyone interested in the Super Bowl sticking around for this show. Fox must be hoping people just end up passing out drunk and leaving the TV on.

Also, it's hilarious that, "Series regular Chris Colfer and recurring star Darren Criss were not included in the original draft of the script, but were added by series creator Ryan Murphy in a late revision." I wonder why those two in particular would've been left out of a Super Bowl episode...?
Old 02-05-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Great, an episode about bullying. That hasn't been done nearly enough on TV the last few months.
Old 02-05-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I think FOX would have been better off launching The Chicago Code after the Super Bowl. It's a male-oriented action Cop serial that probably better appeals to the demographic watching the game.

Glee was already renewed for a 3rd season and has it's hardcore fanbase already. Does FOX think this episode was gain 10M more fans come Tuesday night?
Old 02-05-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think FOX would have been better off launching The Chicago Code after the Super Bowl. It's a male-oriented action Cop serial that probably better appeals to the demographic watching the game.

Glee was already renewed for a 3rd season and has it's hardcore fanbase already. Does FOX think this episode was gain 10M more fans come Tuesday night?
My thoughts exactly. I can't figure out the logic of putting Glee in this spot.
Old 02-05-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow, quite a bit of agreement going on. To add further fuel to the fire, according to a recent EW this episode is centered around Kurt and the football bully plot.

Yea!
Ugh.
Old 02-05-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, good call DJariya. I'd have much rather seen The Chicago Code tomorrow instead, as it could really benefit from the spot, whereas Glee can't get much more popular than it already is. Not to mention, are the people watching the Super Bowl (the majority of them, at least) the ones who are going to want to tune into Glee?
Old 02-06-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can throw all the normal football demo logic out the window when it comes to the Superbowl. Everyone watches it. Glee is kind of an odd choice though. It's not an exposure move, because if anything Glee is overexposed. And it's not a pure ratings grab, because Glee isn't a ratings powerhouse. Maybe they are just betting on SB + Glee's buzz = huge ratings, or maybe that's what they are selling to advertisers.

As for the show being the most expensive to date, given the show's recent MO is to just remake old videos perhaps they went all out on the Thriller remake?
Old 02-06-11, 04:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wmansir
And it's not a pure ratings grab, because Glee isn't a ratings powerhouse.
Huh...? Isn't it the highest rated show on Fox, apart from American Idol?
Old 02-06-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory02
My thoughts exactly. I can't figure out the logic of putting Glee in this spot.
Because the show has been off the air for months, it's one of the most popular on the network, and the ratings are going to blow the doors off?

Yeah, can't figure that out at all.
Old 02-06-11, 11:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

so anyone think a 3.5 hour DVR padding is reasonable? (i only have 1.5 and then jump to 3.5)
Old 02-06-11, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Draven
Because the show has been off the air for months, it's one of the most popular on the network, and the ratings are going to blow the doors off?

Yeah, can't figure that out at all.
Being off the show for months and putting it on after Superbowl? It'll be back Tuesday with a new episode, and I doubt many of the tweens who watch Glee will be watching the Superbowl... This is just a weird decision by Fox. They should have tried to launch a new show or at least an existing one that could have grown (Raising Hope, Chicago Code)
Old 02-06-11, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Huh...? Isn't it the highest rated show on Fox, apart from American Idol?
It is. Its one of the highest rated shows on Television (scripted).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.