Battlefield 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battlefield 3

March GI cover:

From Joystiq:

The title will utilize DICE's Frostbite 2 engine, which promises numerous visual enhancements, a new animation system that originated from EA Sports, and environments that are more destructible than ever before. The developer made it clear today that it had canceled other projects in order to focus on making Battlefield 3 "the best Battlefield game ever."

Battlefield 3 is expected to launch on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC this year.

Lots of info here: http://bf3blog.com/

Teaser trailer tomorrow.

As a relatively new fan of the franchise, I'm pretty excited to see what they're up to.
Old 02-04-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Battlefield 3

This is great news! I hope it pushes the CoD series to be more innovative the next time out... I doubt it, but I still hope.
Old 02-04-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Teaser Trailer (leaning more toward teaser than trailer):

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xP0Ij1_VTY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by Battlefield Blog
Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch. For the full reveal on Battlefield 3, stay tuned for links to our cover stories hitting the gaming press throughout February, starting with Game Informer right now.
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/
Old 02-04-11, 03:37 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Fall 2011 is going to be crazy with GOW3, COD:MW3 and BF3.
Old 02-04-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Fall 2011 is going to be crazy with GOW3, COD:MW3 and BF3.
Don't forget Halo:Combat Evolved remake
Old 02-05-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'll get it for the single player campaign if it's as fun as the one for Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Speaking of which, does the "canceled other projects" mean we won't be getting a Bad Company 3?
Old 02-05-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'll get it for the single player campaign if it's as fun as the one for Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Speaking of which, does the "canceled other projects" mean we won't be getting a Bad Company 3?
Hopefully, because the BC series is complete horse shit compared to the "main" series
Old 02-05-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous
Hopefully, because the BC series is complete horse shit compared to the "main" series
I actually enjoy the the BC series quite a lot.
Old 02-05-11, 01:09 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I was wondering that too. Played through BC2 again last month. That was a really fun game. And the ending clearly setup another installment.
Old 02-05-11, 01:16 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell yeah on the coop...
Old 02-05-11, 06:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

This will be a must-buy. The box art is great, too.
Old 02-05-11, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually enjoy the the BC series quite a lot.
Rocked the BC2 last night...awesome game.

Single player was just OK, but I like the variety of environments quite a bit.
Old 02-05-11, 10:18 AM

Bad Company 2 was good enough for single player, but has the best multiplayer ever created. I hope BF3 stays with 90% of it but tweaks it enough and adds a few new features to make it even better.

It saddens me everyday to see people buy COD all day long, and 1 or 2 people pick out Bad Company 2. I talk as many out of it as possible, but I fear it's never enough
Old 02-05-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Bad Company 2 was good enough for single player, but has the best multiplayer ever created. I hope BF3 stays with 90% of it but tweaks it enough and adds a few new features to make it even better.
Other than Warhawk, I agree...and they are very different games with very different levels of sophistication.

It saddens me everyday to see people buy COD all day long, and 1 or 2 people pick out Bad Company 2. I talk as many out of it as possible, but I fear it's never enough
Yep...even this thread, the first reply was "I hope it makes CoD better."

Huh?
Old 02-05-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a fan of multiplayer games but I must admit that Bad Company 2 is a heck of a lot of fun in multiplayer.
Old 02-08-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/08/ba...leading-on-pc/

Game Informer's cover story on Battlefield 3 reveals DICE's plans to support dedicated servers, and delves into some of the particulars of its multiplayer offering. Once again, you'll be able to select between four classes -- executive producer Patrick Bach calls this number "the sweet spot" -- and Bad Company 2's four-person squad mechanic will be expanded, though no specifics are given. "Squads are really easy to set up, but how can you take that further? We have some really cool things that we'll show later when it comes to dictating how you play with friends," Bach teases.

Furthermore, due to BF3 using a new version of DICE's game engine, Frostbite 2.0, mod tools won't necessarily reflect earlier Battlefield mod functionality. "We will not deliver mod tools in the way that we delivered them for Battlefield 2," Bach says. "Creating mod tools today -- dumbing them down -- takes a lot of energy and what we are discussing more every day is, 'Where do we put our focus?' Right now our focus is to create the best possible multiplayer, single-player, and co-op game -- the core game of Battlefield 3. We're still discussing how we handle modifications of any kind," he adds.

And though the third Battlefield title will arrive on launch day in Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 flavors, the game's primary development platform is the PC. "We won't make it for console and port it to PC -- that's not how we do things," Bach says. "We're focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles." Frankly, we wanna fiddle with it wherever it is.
Old 02-10-11, 04:18 PM

Between this and Crysis 2 and the numerous other PC exclusives or games that are just better on PC because of mods, I really want to pick up a gaming PC. Anyone have recommendations on built to order gaming machines. I'm looking for crazy power - like 10GB+ DDR3 RAM, best video card, processor, etc. around or less than $2k. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-11, 07:35 AM
gamer for life

In the latest Game Informer, an interview with DICE....They talk about pacing a single player game, and ideas they had. He says that you would not want a guitar solo for 5 hours, you need to have variety. I got the vibe that would mean the single player is 5 hours long. For some.... that is important. I personally found BC2's mp to be the best ever on the 360....so I am getting still this...
Old 02-18-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I liked BC2's single-player campaign just fine, but I liked the first one's much better.
Old 02-18-11, 11:51 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by foxdvd
.so I am getting still this...

I am an idiot....
Old 02-18-11, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Loved Battlefield 2 along with it's various expansions and Battlefield 2142 on PC.

Hopefully this title is the true successor to those games like they claim.
Old 02-22-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Are there any screen shots of this or game footage?
Old 02-22-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Found a blog with some interesting points about Battlefield 3 particlarly this article

Top 10 things we wish to see in Battlefield 3
On January 22nd, 2011 in Editorial
1: Commander feature
One of the wonderful ways in which BF2 and BF2142 stood out was the Commander feature: a player would be the commander of his team, with full overview of the map, he could issue orders to squads, had the ability to call in artillery strikes, UAV drones and drop supplies.
With up to 64 players spread out on huge maps, a commander in BF3 would be welcome, perhaps even a must. This feature added a new dimension to the gameplay in BF2 and 2142, and the team with a good commander and leadership had a clear advantage.
2: 64 player support, bigger maps
Battlefield was made popular because of its vast maps and lots of players, it was what truly set the game apart from all other shooters. On top of that are all the vehicles and the rock-paper-scissor gameplay, but we see no way of having 64 players on map sizes like those in the last two Battlefield games (Bad Company 1 & 2).
And 64 players is an absolute must. Anything less would greatly disappoint fans of the series. Consoles will likely see 32 players, however, MAG on the PS3 proved that 256 was possible, but then again, MAG didn’t feature as many vehicles and the level of destruction Battlefield has.
3: More factions
Somehow, a modern Battlefield game doesn’t feel at home without a representative of the Middle East, which was the case with BF2 and Bad Company 1, which both had the MEC: Middle Eastern Coalition.
Since MEC was featured in Bad Company 1, it appears to be fairly straightforward to just port the class into BF3 with the other two classes, US and Russia, as the MEC voice overs and player models are already available. Obviously, it would be interesting with more factions, like China, but those may be added later in an expansion, as with BF2 Special Forces, which added six new classes.
4: Unlocks that are harder to get
Bad Company 2 was well received by fans and critics, but after a few months, the player numbers started to decline, and actually, they’ve been in decline ever since (see this article at Bad Company 2 Blog for more details). A reason behind the dropping player numbers is that most of the weapons and gadgets can be unlocked after a few dozen hours of playing, meaning that players have little incentive to keep playing regularly (other than to work on their stats and awards).
Battlefield 2 demanded more play time and more skill in order to get the unlocks, in order to rank up, and in order to get some of the awards. This was a great incentive to have player keep playing months, even years after the game was released.
5: Bigger squads with respawn only on squad-leader
With 64 players, and possibly more classes, it makes sense to increase the squad size to at least a size where each class can be represented, e.g. six classes = six-man squads.
On top of that, we think it would be appropriate if squad members can only respawn on their squad leader, which would minimize squad hopping, an issue in Bad Company 2, and it was an issue in Battlefield 2 as well, before DICE removed the option. Squad hopping is, in essence, when a player dies, he switches to a squad that’s closer to the action and spawns on that squad, which can give a team an unfair advantage. But more importantly, it diminishes team-play within squads, as players are constantly hopping from squad to squad.
6: Night combat
We know the Frostbite engine can support this, from night maps in Bad Company 2, so there’s no technical reason as to why BF3 won’t include it. Add even if it does, we hope it’s night-combat specific, e.g. players get night vision goggles and other gear (like in BF2 Special Forces, which featured night combat).
Another wish, and perhaps an unrealistic one, is to have each map with a day/night cycle.
7: Faction specific weapons
In Bad Company 2, all players, regarding what team they were on, started with the same weapons, even though US soldiers would never have issued a rifle based on the AK-47 (AEK-971 in Bad Company 2). Previously, each team had its own weapons, the MEC had AK-47-based rifles, the Chinese factions had their own Chinese-designed weapons, and the US had their well known weapons, led by the M16 and its varieties.
In terms of unlocks, it makes sense to streamline it and have everyone start out the same way, but it’s not that realistic and if everyone has the same weapons, it takes some of the flair of playing a certain faction. It takes away some of their uniqueness.
8: Real world ranks
More doesn’t always mean better. Not since BF2 has Battlefield had real world ranks, instead, the ranks were based on fictional ones, and lots of them. The ranks in BF2 were spread further apart, and it took more dedication from players to achieve the higher ranks. There were 20 ranks in Battlefield 2, compared to 50 in Bad Company 2.
The unlock structure in BF3 needs to reflect the previous games, where it took considerably longer to get unlocks and longer to level up as well. There are still thousands of avid players playing BF2 today, working towards the next rank and so on. There was also more prestige in achieving the higher ranks — it’s not uncommon to see someone with a top rank in Bad Company 2, but it still is in Battlefield 2.
As with anything in life, the harder ranks are to active, the more prestige there is in them, the more value they have. Even if its only for showing off.
9: More classes
Our opinion on this matter is well known (read Why Battlefield 3 needs more than 4 classes). The current 4 classes are simply too botched together, instead, we need distinctive classes with their own identities, where players can immerse themselves into a role. Instead of the current I-can-do-it-all, Rambo-style classes in Bad Company 2, which hinder true team-based gameplay Battlefield is known for.
10: Proper widescreen support and field of view
Bad Company 2 was primarily developed with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in mind, and it was later ported to the PC, which means that the field of view was narrow, as it was designed for screens where the player would sit a dozen feet from a TV when playing on consoles. On PC however, it’s barely 2 feet, and most players had problems adjusting to the FOV.
While there is a way of increasing the FOV on the PC (and not an official way through in-game settings), the Field of View never feels natural, and things seem out of proportion because some of the guns take up a lot more of the screen than they’re supposed to — as you can see on the image to the right, the field of view is increased at the bottom image, but the gun remains the same size, and there’s an overall “morphed” look to the view. A proper field of view and widescreen support is a must for the PC crowd.
I agree with most of the points in here.
Old 02-22-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

whoops double post

Last edited by cruzness; 02-22-11 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cruzness
Found a blog with some interesting points about Battlefield 3 particlarly this article

I agree with most of the points in here.
Really???

I'm not sure I agree with any of those...very PC and nerd centric.

Which ones?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.