Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien Box Set - R1 or R2?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Alien Box Set - R1 or R2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-00, 10:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A topical question, given the Alien Box Set frenzy on the uk.media.dvd newsgroup.

I know that outside of North America you can't get the 5th disk ("The Making Of") if you buy the R1 set.

However, my query (on this v.busy forum) is this - given past performance, is the R2 version heavily censored when compared to the R1 version?

I am tempted to buy the R2 set, but don't want to purchase something that has been brutally cut by the censors.

I'm not sure if it comes under the Woolworths "3 for 2" deal, as I reckon they said it was selected titles only. I wonder if I could buy 3 copies, keep 1, and sell the other 2 on e-Bay as "Limited Edition, Special Continental Import (R2) Box Set" to some poor shmucks for $$$$?

ajaxfan
Old 05-16-00, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I know, the UK discs are not censored. They're all rated 18 at any rate. But I think that the production of the boxset itself is going to be "limited"; mine's numered 038932 at any rate, which kinda hints that it's going to be "limited" to no fewer than 100,000 copies at the absolute minimum, and probably going to be quite a lot more than that. Presumably after the boxsets all sell, you'll only be able to buy the discs individually, without the 5th disc. The discs in the boxset are actually all the standard retail versions of the discs, so if you really wanted to turn a quick profit on Ebay, you could just buy a boxset on the cheap, sell the 4 films individually and sell the 5th disc on its own. Not that I'd condone that sort of thing, of course... And I severely doubt that Woolworths are going to have a boxset with a retail price of £70 in their 3-for-2 offer

------------------
It's true that no man is an island. But if you take a bunch of dead guys and nail them together, they make a pretty good raft. redmeat.com

ICQ# 61040969 Me and my DVDs...
Old 05-17-00, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movies were all passed "Uncut" by the BBFC (for once) and are all certified 18.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 05-17-00, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info, guys.

Now (rhetorical question), should I hold fire until DVDStreet have another 15% or 20% off link (risky if it's a "limited edition"), or buy the boxset now for £60, or even buy from one of the continental etailers for under £50 but wait until next month (as it's delayed in continental Europe)??? Decisions, decisions...

BTW, I mentioned the Woolies offer tounge-in-cheek (same for e-bay), as it was mooted on the newsgroup!

ajaxfan
Old 05-17-00, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I get the impression that it's slightly less "limited" than a mother's love. Having said that, I wouldn't hold your breath for a new DVDStreet offer, they come and go, and at the moment, I think they're all going. I know I say this on every thread about DVDStreet, but the best thing you can do is spend a bit of time writing reviews of all your DVDs and notching up some loyalty points. It'll take a week or so for the points to go through onto your account, but bearing in mind that it works out as being £1 store credit per review, it's still the best deal going in the UK. So, sit down for an hour or so, get typing, and watch that boxset price go down... And if a better offer turns up in the meantime, at least you'll have a big load of points you can splurge on DVDs

------------------
It's true that no man is an island. But if you take a bunch of dead guys and nail them together, they make a pretty good raft. redmeat.com

ICQ# 61040969 Me and my DVDs...
Old 05-17-00, 06:21 PM

Apparantly www.euro.express.com have them pretty cheap at the moment due to the weak Euro, £44 was the figure I heard.
Haven't had a look myself though as I got mine while DVDStreet had their 20% deal.

[This message has been edited by Steve-W (edited May 17, 2000).]
Old 05-17-00, 06:34 PM

ooops!! Sorry

Just had a look there and its back to £60, must of been the pre-order price.
Old 05-17-00, 10:48 PM
Banned

Hmm...I'm still not sure about the 'uncut' status of R2 movies generally. Many studios cut a movie before it is presented to the BBFC to pre-empt a snipping session. But from my memory of the first two movies, the R1 and R2 should be exactly the same. Owning all 4 on R1 leaves me no real choice but to keep checking ebay for a 5th R1 disc.
Old 05-19-00, 02:18 AM

Of course, the rather desperate alternative would be to ask someone who already has it to make you a DIVX copy of it...
Old 05-19-00, 05:31 PM

Ok, I'm an idiot!!

It wasn't euro.express, it is www.dvdzone2.com who are currently selling it for 69.99 Euros which is approx £42.

Sounds like a bargain.
Old 05-19-00, 06:49 PM
Cool New Member

I've noticed a sort of "strange" thing concerning the Alien Box Set - every B&M shop I've been into selling it has it priced at £60 (£59.99 to be exact), which is a tenner off the MRP. This includes Woolworths, Dixons, Virgin, HMV, WHSmith, and OurPrice.

On the internet, it is also available for the same price (£60) at DVDStreet, BlackStar, DVDWorld and DVDPlus, whilst EncoreDirect have it as £58.

However, it doesn't seem to be available at all at Play247, DVDNet or EuroDVDExpress.

So where is the advantage of buying over the web? Answer - there is none, as you'd get the set quicker if you walked to a shop (how quaint) and bought it in there. To be even quainter, you could pay by something called "cash".

Any ideas why the last 3 e-tailers don't stock it, people?

ajaxfan
Old 05-20-00, 10:12 PM

www.dvdzone2.com still have them at pre-order price at about £47.
Aparently they are not released yet in mainland Europe hence the pre-order still stands.
Old 05-20-00, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or you could just wait until Monday and buy it through DVDStreet on their latest 15% off deal... (see other thread on this...)
Old 05-21-00, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

Mark Bennett - thanks for the info.
The thing that puts me off buying from dvdzone2 is that the boxset is the French version. This means (AFAIK) that the writing on the box/cases is in French, although the movies themselves are not (I think).
My French language skills aren't all that good, so "je preferez le versione Anglais".

TheyCallHimJim - I heard about the forthcoming DVDStreet offer on the usenet I mentioned above. I reckon I *will* get the boxset from Streets (for £51, I hope).

I should have ordered the damnable boxset when DVStreet/Egg were doing their 20% off thing recently, and thus avoided all the probs. Apart from ordering 1 DVD, I got the new Quincy Jones greatest hits double CD - now I get strange looks from other people on the bus/tube whilst getting funky listening to QJ on my Sony Discman.

ajaxfan
Old 05-22-00, 08:52 PM
Banned

WHSmith in London Bridge has it for £68.99!!
Old 05-22-00, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

BearUK - that is unbelievable! Talk about rip offs! WHS on the Kingsway (Central London) last week had it for £59.99, the same price as Kingston (SW London).

Maybe the store manager's pick a price at random, and see what mugs come in and buy them - their London Bridge branch has probably sold copies at that ridiculous price already (a whopping £1 off MRP!!).

ajaxfan