Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Film composer John Barry has died

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was one of the greats, that's for sure.

From Den of Geek:

The legendary composer John Barry has died, at the age of 77.

Published on Jan 31, 2011

Some horrible, horrible news to start the week off. The legendary composer, Mr John Barry, has died. He was 77 years old. We caught the news from a Tweet off his fellow 007 composer, David Arnold, who wrote, "It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that John Barry passed away this morning."

He added, "I am profoundly saddened by the news but profoundly thankful for everything he did for music and for me personally."

Personally, I was still in my teens when I picked up a copy of John Barry's Dances With Wolves score, and after playing it non-stop for many, many days straight, it sent me off to find more of his work. And what a rich selection there was to choose from. The Lion In Winter. Out Of Africa. Midnight Cowboy. Born Free. And, of course, his iconic work on the James Bond series.

Barry worked on the music of Bond films from Dr. No right through to 1987's The Living Daylights, and always claimed, too, that he was at the very least a co-author of the main 007 theme tune. (Monty Norman continues to get sole credit.)

He picked up five Oscars throughout his career, and was nominated for a further two more (one of which was for his underappreciated score to Chaplin). And across a movie scoring career that ran from 1960 to 2001's Enigma, Barry marked his place in cinema history as one of the finest movie score composers we've ever seen.

Rest in peace, Mr Barry. Your influence and music will live on for a long, long time...
Old 01-31-11, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Film composer John Barry has died

RIP. I really liked his score for Dances with Wolves.

Old 01-31-11, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I was just watching Dances With Wolves on TV tonight. Awesome life, John!
Old 01-31-11, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, this fucking sucks; he was my favorite composer and he elevated every film with some musical pieces of grandeur. Case in point, a piece from Howard the Duck:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsDytTiMmOQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I always enjoyed the way he was able to make love theme versions of Bond films and his work on the last two 80's Bonds, A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights, show how even when he wasn't the main creator of the title track, he was able to take it to a higher level.
Old 01-31-11, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-PxzKxJjBg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/paPFl5WMZqs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-11, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was unmatched.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5OCxwZI7YA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-31-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="550" height="437"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M22R_do5Yfo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M22R_do5Yfo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="550" height="437"></embed></object>
Old 01-31-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, huge loss for the world of both music and film. As a kid, I collected film soundtracks and Barry's scores were some of my favorites. From all the various Bond contributions, Disney's "The Black Hole", and countless others, he had a unique way of making the music a character of the film itself, but never to the point that it was overdone. RIP.
Old 01-31-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is very sad news indeed.

The Deep, The Black Hole, and Somewhere in Time were my favorites

R.I.P. Mr. Barry
Old 01-31-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-31-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always had a major soft spot for his score to "King Kong" (1976). In fact, I'm listening to it right now. Hw was definitely one of the best the game had to offer.

Old 01-31-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/paPFl5WMZqs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
I've always wanted that soundtrack even though it came from a shitty movie. I found a brand new copy in a used record store last month for $5 and snatched it up. Now, I'm glad I did.
Old 01-31-11, 01:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Very sad news indeed. He will be missed. :RIP:
Old 01-31-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I always wished he had done another Bond score so the last one wasn't the Living Daylights. He was as much a part of making Bond what it was as anyone. You could always tell when Barry wasn't on board as composer [cough]For Your Eyes Only[/cough].
Old 01-31-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

He and Basil Polidouris were two that could take a mediocre movie and use their scores to make it seem like a great epic. RIP
Old 01-31-11, 06:24 PM
Banned

Something about watching Sean Connery and a John Barry score in a Bond movie.
Together they were a great mix. Apart it just didn't feel right.
Old 01-31-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

RIP. Thanks for the music.
Old 01-31-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

He created some scores that made the movies better than they really were. (King Kong and Moonraker are good examples.)

And I always thought it was fairly obvious the James Bond Theme was by John Barry rather than Monty Norman. (The rest of Dr. No's calypso soundtrack sounds completely different. And why do you suppose Norman never returned to score any more Bond films whereas Barry was asked to compose 11?)
Old 02-01-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
And I always thought it was fairly obvious the James Bond Theme was by John Barry rather than Monty Norman. (The rest of Dr. No's calypso soundtrack sounds completely different. And why do you suppose Norman never returned to score any more Bond films whereas Barry was asked to compose 11?)
There was a huge lawsuit about that and John Barry pretty much stated that he did create the JB theme but due to other stuff, he can't claim it legally.
Old 02-01-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

The special features on on of the dvds adresses this. If I remember right, long before James Bond came into the picture, Monty Norman had a guitar riff he didn't know what to do with. "Dum da da da dum da da , da dum da da da dum da da" . Barry used it to create the Bond Theme.
Old 02-01-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

This is terrible news. Even though I knew it'd never happen, I always held fast to the hope that he'd score at least one more Bond film. At least he left us with a legacy of great scores.
Old 02-01-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's not forget Beat Girl:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MTMwLSkheTU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

and Star Crash:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pzfuNSpP0RA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ever heard anything from Lolita The Musical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5B86Wnr9Ew

Not sure why mine won't embed . . .
Old 02-01-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Not sure why mine won't embed . . .
Because you're using the URL and not the embed code:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y5B86Wnr9Ew" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.