Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is bottomline on RPTV and daylight?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is bottomline on RPTV and daylight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-00, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seriously considering a RPTV for my main viewing in my family room. Problem is I have the typical big glass doors on what would be the side wall of the room. The sun never shines directly into the room, but during the day, it does get pretty bright. I don't want to cover the glass doors. Am I going to have problem? It's never been an issue with my small (27 inch) direct view tv.
Old 09-08-00, 05:59 PM

Yes it will be problem. Even with a protective screen. But don't get me wrong I do love my Hitachi Ultravsion 61 inch RPTV. Its like being at the movies only better...
Friends that see it also say the same thing.
Old 09-08-00, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a 61" Hitachi Ultravision too, love it. But it does suck a little bit during the day. I have some curtains and blinds, but my personal preference is to have it really dark...at night I don't like any other lights on.

But it's still watchable during the day. Although if you don't have any curtains blocking the natural light you'll have more of a problem than I do. BTW I'd feel the same way about a direct-view set...
Old 09-10-00, 11:41 AM

I custom designed panels and hangers on all the windows (including sliding glass doors) near the HTS. When the light-blocking panels are not in place, the hangers are nearly invisible, but when I put them up, the room is very dark.

I darken the room whenever I start watching a DVD before the sun goes down, which is now around 730pm, and in a couple of months I won't have to use the panels at all (till the spring).
Old 09-10-00, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Darkened rooms only is my suggestion....and have the TV facing away from any windows during the daylight hours!!! Curtains only keep out so much light!!!
Old 09-11-00, 12:38 PM

Thanks, first hand experience is really helpful. This weekend I visited a few stores and noticed that some of the units had a glossy screen while others had a matt screen. The Matt screen seemed to handle lighted rooms much better. Is the glossy one a protective screen? It seemed like? Are they generally removeable? Any downside, beside the obvious, to not using.