Reload this Page >

Will Ferrell to guest star on The Office

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-26-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Will Ferrell has committed to a four-episode arc on NBC's comedy The Office. He will play a branch manager who comes from the home office and is just as inappropriate as Steve Carell's Michael Scott character. NBC is still figuring out exactly when the episodes will air, but Ferrell has committed to one episode beyond Carell’s finale, to help create a bridge.

Ferrell called the producers, offering his services because he's a fan and wanted to commemorate Carell’s swan song by taking part in The Office star's seventh and final season on the show. Ferrell and Carell are close friends who co-starred in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. The stint brings Ferrell back to NBC, where he launched his career on Saturday Night Live. Additionally, he has done arcs on such series as NBC's 30 Rock and HBO's Eastbound & Down, which he also produces.

“We found Steve Carell when he was nothing but a movie star and we turned him into a television star,” said The Office exec producer Paul Lieberstein (who doubles as the annoying Dunder Mifflin HR executive Toby Flenderson, Michael Scott’s arch-nemesis. “We are proud to continue The Office’s tradition of discovering famous talent, and we hope that once America gets a good look at Will, they’ll see what we see, tremendous raw sexuality.”
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/will...om-the-office/
Old 01-26-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will Ferrell to guest star on The Office

I'm not sure what to make of this... the wording of that article and the quote from Toby really drops the hints that Ferrell could be the replacement. This could either be amazing or will kill the show quickly.
Old 01-26-11, 09:28 PM
Banned

What happened to that promise they made (several seasons ago at this point) that they would never bring in big celebrities as cast members because it would take away from the "reality" of the show?

I guess that went out the window with Kathy Bates, anyway, but jesus...
Old 01-27-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not sure Ferrell will work in this setting. Michael is quite the character, but he can be understated. Not sure if Ferrell can do that. But I'll watch, no doubt.
Old 01-27-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferrell is pretty polarizing so I'm sure a lot of people will not like this news. I like most of the stuff he's done (Semi-Pro excluded) so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-27-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy with it, I feel he doesn't have to be over the top like he sometimes can be.

He could just be awkward like Michael, like the scene in Old School when he is in a wedding counseling session with his wife, and then he decides to talk about the waitresses underwear, since "we are in the safety zone".
Old 01-27-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andy434343
He could just be awkward like Michael
That's what I'm worried about. Replacing one Michael with another Michael who is just more Michael.

I like Ferrell but I'm with Missouri on this one -- they're gonna have to show me.
Old 01-27-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Look who's getting closer

Old 01-27-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
Look who's getting closer
How does a huge movie star like Will Ferrell scream shark jumping for a TV show? Even if you don't like him, you can't possibly think it's a bad move for a show.
Old 01-27-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

This is great news IMO.
Old 01-27-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny how both Carell and Ferrel play the same types of roles in movies. Adults that act like Children and all their movies are pretty much the same.
Now we have Farrell as part of this cast?
They should have quit while they were ahead.
Old 01-27-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
How does a huge movie star like Will Ferrell scream shark jumping for a TV show? Even if you don't like him, you can't possibly think it's a bad move for a show.
I love Will Ferrell but Steve Carrell leaving and the show stunt casting a new boss for a few episodes spells the beginning of the end. Do you think
The Office still has its best years ahead?
Old 01-27-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

What show has had its best season after its 7th season?

I don't think this specifically signifies much, but Carrell leaving, in general, certainly does.
Old 01-27-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Office's best years were from 2001 until 2003.

I'll tune in tonight for the stunt casting and then for at least the first one or two of these with an option to pick up the back two.
Old 01-27-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general, I like Will Ferrell, at least in a context where his comedic person is suited - sketch comedy or film characterizations that depend on being really over the top. But in the context of The Office, this has fail written all over it. Hypothetically, I do believe that Ferrell has the ability to underplay his part appropriately to maintain some level of believability. But I don't believe that is what will end up happening.

On the other hand, the show has been losing it's consistency of tone for a few seasons now, so I doubt that a "wild and crazy" Will Ferrell will be all that much of a jolt to most viewers of the show.
Old 01-27-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This season of The Office has been very well done. Reminds me of the earlier seasons, in fact. I'm sure a lot of people criticizing the show haven't been watching this season.

I'm not sure why people are worrying about Ferrell. Yes, most of his roles are over-the-top, but he's proven he can play characters who aren't completely ridiculous and absurd in Elf and Stranger Than Fiction. Parts of his performance in The Good Guys was actually very restrained as well and quite different from the types of roles he usually plays. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we seem him playing a rather subdued character who is just very awkward and uncomfortable.

Not to mention, other associates of Carell (David Koechner and Jack Black) have appeared on The Office, so it isn't like Will Ferrell's appearance is unprecedented or totally surprising.
Old 01-29-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that everyone already is convinced that this will be the death of the show. Why are any of you still watching?
Old 01-29-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Here's an even better question:

How often do you see people online saying that the current season of any TV show is as good or better than past seasons?

That's what I thought.
Old 01-29-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
What happened to that promise they made (several seasons ago at this point) that they would never bring in big celebrities as cast members because it would take away from the "reality" of the show?

I guess that went out the window with Kathy Bates, anyway, but jesus...
Yeah, NBC is gonna turn away Will Ferrell. They couldn't even stop themselves from ruining the surprise appearance of that British guy.
Old 01-29-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Bonanza
Old 01-29-11, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Yeah, NBC is gonna turn away Will Ferrell. They couldn't even stop themselves from ruining the surprise appearance of that British guy.
That British guy?

Wow.
Old 01-29-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Meh.. I like Ferrell at times but he is really a mixed bag now days it seems. I will say that I thought The Other Guys was his best movie in a long time though. I might watch these episodes eventually just to see what they're like but don't have high expectations.

I really don't understand why NBC feels the need to keep this show going after it's 7th season to be honest. They've got enough other comedies built up that have decent fan bases so it wouldn't really hurt them too badly to lose this one especially given that the show is losing it's star. It seems pretty likely that this show is just going to sink like a rock after he's gone as I'm sure he's a big part of why viewers tune in week after week.
Old 01-29-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
That British guy?
Naming him would be spoiling, right?
Old 01-29-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I really don't understand why NBC feels the need to keep this show going after it's 7th season to be honest. They've got enough other comedies built up that have decent fan bases so it wouldn't really hurt them too badly to lose this one especially given that the show is losing it's star.
What ratings numbers are you looking at?
Old 01-29-11, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86

I really don't understand why NBC feels the need to keep this show going after it's 7th season to be honest. They've got enough other comedies built up that have decent fan bases so it wouldn't really hurt them too badly to lose this one especially given that the show is losing it's star. It seems pretty likely that this show is just going to sink like a rock after he's gone as I'm sure he's a big part of why viewers tune in week after week.
Wait, what? Have you actually SEEN NBCs Thursday night ratings? The Office regularly (as in, always) has double the ratings of any of their other comedies. It is one of the only shows actually doing well for that Network. If they have any way to keep it on they'd be stupid not to try.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.