Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about satellite reciever to VCR hook up..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about satellite reciever to VCR hook up..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-00, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I have:

Sony 27" direct view TV with two S-Video inputs.

Yamaha RX-V595a receiver with S-Video in and out for VCR. It also has S-Video in for DVD player that is currently in use. It also has an auxilliary S-Video on the front which is currently in use by switch box for my game systems.

Sony DVD player (connected via S-Video to my receiver as mentioned above).

JVC HRS-3600U S-VHS VCR with S-Video in and out.

Dish Network satellite receiver with S-Video out.

Is it possible to hook the satellite receiver and VCR in such a way that I can record and view tapes using S-Video as well watch TV and listen to the audio with S-video and composite audio connections?

Right now I have S-video going in and out between the VCR and my receiver. I have composite audio and video going from my satellite receiver to my Yamaha receiver. And coaxial cable coming in from the satellite dish to my VCR and from my VCR into the coaxial connection in my TV.

To be honest it all seems very confusing. If any one is able to shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited September 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited September 08, 2000).]
Old 09-08-00, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
It may be helpful to explain this a little further. I find that a simple "wiring diagram" helps show connections. Something like the following:

Satellite S-video> VCR>VCR S-video>TV
Satellite Audio> Receiver

I'll rephrase your question and let me know if I have it right. So what you want to do is be able to watch say a DVD while recording off of your Satellite.

If so your TV probably has several settings for picture source switching. My Sony has something like TV/VCR/Aux for selections when I hit the TV/Video button. Simply run your DVD player to the S-video Aux and watch the picture on Aux or the equivalent. Your Satellite can go into the VCR and record the program even when there is no TV in the system.

Sorry if I am answering a question your not asking, maybe a rephrasing or wiring diagram will help....
Old 09-08-00, 07:37 PM

jpcamb,
That is pretty much what I am trying to achieve.

Satellite S-Video > VHS S-Video > TV S-Video
Satellite audio > receiver
VHS audio > receiver

I want to be able to do the following.

1) Watch a program on satellite using S-Video and listen to it either through my receiver or through the TV speakers.

2) Record a program from the satellite using S-Video on my S-VHS VCR and composite audio.

3)Watch the above recorded program using S-Video and either composite audio from my receiver or audio from my TV speakers.

What confuses me is the relevence of S-Video from the satellite since I have to use a coaxial cable in order to get the satellite signal feed into my VCR and TV. If I have the coax connected will I still get the picture through the S-Video cable?

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-09-00, 03:58 PM

/\

------------------

Old 09-11-00, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
I don't think you actually need the coax to do what you are trying to do. On my setup I have the cable TV coax connected to the VCR and the VCR connected to the TV also via coax.

With the direct Cable connection to the VCR I can use the VCR/TV switching on the VCR to tape a program while I watch a second program using my TV tuner from the Coax in from the VCR.

My DVD player is connected via the S-video so it is on a separate port and I need to specifically change to the Aux input to watch it.

Have you tried to remove the Coax from the VCR to TV and using the S-video in only? I think your setup should work without the coax cable.

The only problem might be in wanting to use the TV speakers instead of the HT ones. One way to do this would be to use the RCA cable signal out form the VCR to the TV inputs directly. I'm not completely familiar with component Audio cables, but my understanding is that it is a single high quality wire basically carrying the Red and white (typically left and right) channel signal on one wire, this should leave the red and white outputs from the VCR free to go in to the TV.

So in simplified (i hope ) terms make the following connections:

Satellite > Satellite Box: coax

Satellite Box > VCR: S-video (No coax!) and Component Audio OR RCA (your choice as available, preferably Component Audio)

VCR> TV: S-video (No coax!) AND RCA (for listening to TV speakers only)

VCR> Receiver: Component Audio

I believe if you have coax connections going from the VCR to the TV it will be default selected as the input. You definitely do not need the coax if you can make the connections as you and I have listed.

If your VCR can not accept Component Audio In then you can't record the audio that way at all and your stuck listening to the audio signal from Standard RCA cables no matter what you put in between the VCR/receiver and TV as far as media you wish to record is concerened.

I hope this is of some sort of help. Good luck! Let me know if I can clarify anything I wrote that did not make sense.
Jeff