Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Strange double-sided DVD manufacturing glitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange double-sided DVD manufacturing glitch

Roughly 2 weeks ago, I decided to take advantage of the Superman: The Complete Animated Series sale at Amazon for $20.99.

The set arrived today, and I just found something else to hate about double-sided DVD's. (For those who don't know, this set combines the three single-season sets. Each of these includes a 1-sided DVD and a 2-sided DVD.) The case is a typical Scanavo-style thick plastic keepcase. The spokes on each of the three flipper trays snapped in transit (or somewhere), leaving them free to slide around inside the case. Whereas single-sided DVD's would have their data portions facing down, two of the double-sided disk's TOPS became noticeably scratched in the process.

But here's the weird part. Season 3's second DVD, on the non-scratched side, shows a faint, backwards "etching" in the reflective coating. I can see

THE
FORSYTHE SAGA

at one side and the Warner Brothers logo, DVD Video logo, and BBC logo at the other side. I haven't checked yet to see if it plays...but will certainly be hitting Amazon for a replacement. Has anyone seen a manufacturing issue like this?

Last edited by thetao; 01-24-11 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-24-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Strange double-sided DVD manufacturing glitch

Does it really matter if anybody else has? Just wondering...
Old 01-24-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts

^ way to stop the conversation, bro!
Old 01-25-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why don't you see if it works before sending it back.
Old 01-25-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Why don't you see if it works before starting a thread about it?
Fixed.
Old 01-25-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I see some of the boards self appointed mods are out in force in this thread. Seems lots of people dont seem to grasp the concept of a forum, and how they are for discussing topics.

To the OP, I dont think I have seen what you are speaking of. Are you saying that you see ghost images from a completely unrelated disc on your disc?
Old 01-25-11, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
I see some of the boards self appointed mods are out in force in this thread. Seems lots of people dont seem to grasp the concept of a forum, and how they are for discussing topics.

To the OP, I dont think I have seen what you are speaking of. Are you saying that you see ghost images from a completely unrelated disc on your disc?
Yes. Well, it's more of an imprint/etching than a image...there's no color and it's just barely an outline at most places. I am leaning towards it being a problem exclusive to manufacturing double-sided DVD's but am still not sure.

I was beginning to question if everyone on this site with over 1200 posts to their name must automatically be a jerk, so thanks for proving me wrong.

I posted, not because it doesn't (seem to) play, but because the glitch was odd enough that it called out to make a record of it somewhere. At some point, someone else will come along with the same question, or maybe someone from the DVD manufacturing industry industry will read this and take note.

To most of the other posters, I suggest you have talks with your mothers this weekend about courtesy. I consider some of the posts here to also be crap, but just move on. It won't kill you to keep your big mouths shut.
Old 01-25-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Yes. Well, it's more of an imprint/etching than a image...there's no color and it's just barely an outline at most places. I am leaning towards it being a problem exclusive to manufacturing double-sided DVD's but am still not sure.

I was beginning to question if everyone on this site with over 1200 posts to their name must automatically be a jerk, so thanks for proving me wrong.

I posted, not because it doesn't (seem to) play, but because the glitch was odd enough that it called out to make a record of it somewhere. At some point, someone else will come along with the same question, or maybe someone from the DVD manufacturing industry industry will read this and take note.

To most of the other posters, I suggest you have talks with your mothers this weekend about courtesy. I consider some of the posts here to also be crap, but just move on. It won't kill you to keep your big mouths shut.
Hey Tao,

It is an interesting glitch. Although with that said, if your intent was to "make a record of it somewhere" I maybe suggest making a header that could be searched easier. I would have either posed it as an Animated Superman Collection question (that even has it's own thread) so people could compare it to their sets or posed it as a "ghost label image printed on double-sided DVD" question.

In the end though, it is a trivial complaint if there is no reader error. While I've not had that happen on a DVD, I have had that happen on CDs.

And considering your rather snide digs in your response, apparently having 65 posts also might qualify one as being a jerk.
Old 01-25-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao

Maybe it is some sort of leftover from the previous disc that was being made in that factory? Could be anything I guess. Overspray or something.

As to the crappy response that you got from your post, I have found that it is unfortunately pretty standard on any forum that keeps track of post counts. The members that have higher post counts seem to forget that they were once the new guy and can come off as raving assholes at times because they seem to feel entitled. Since they have been around so long, they seem to think of themselves as moderators or owners of the board when they arent.
Old 01-25-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Wow, a lot of overreaction in the DVD Talk forum today.
Lighten up, guys. And check your horoscopes.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-25-11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, this overreaction and lack of true help when asking for it have made me pretty much stop posting anything at all. I used to post regularly but then the mods blocked my ability to post attachments (for whatever reason) and then this overreaction and ... well... enough said.
Old 01-27-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
That statement should be on EVERY thread.