Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Irredeemable & Incorruptible

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Irredeemable & Incorruptible

I really haven't read much in the past decade or so aside from Marvel Zombies but wow is anyone else following these series?
Old 01-25-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Irredeemable & Incorruptible

One of the few modern comics I have been keeping up with, Irredeemable has that great storytelling which recalls something done by Alan Moore in the 1980s.
Old 01-25-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I just ordered the second Irredeemable from Amazon. It was a toss up between that and the first Incorruptible.
Old 01-26-11, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arriving today: Irredeemable vol. 5 and Incorruptible Vols. 2 & 3.

I'm loving them both.
Old 01-27-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I collected Irredeemable for a year and couldn't get into it. I really wanted to like it because I generally like Waid's writing and picked up each issue...waiting for it to click. I picked up the first couple of issues of Incorruptible as well. But after the Irredeemable Special, I dropped both titles. Not my cup of tea, I guess.

Looking forward to the return of Ruse tho!
Old 04-06-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Irreedemable 1 was in my Gold Box for $3.60! For that price, I'll give it a try. Irredeemable 2 and Incorruptible 1 are like 6.62 each. All three Amazon is calling "bargain price," whatever that means. Is it like the cheapies at the front of bricks-and-mortar stores? I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 04-06-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Irreedemable 1 was in my Gold Box for $3.60! For that price, I'll give it a try. Irredeemable 2 and Incorruptible 1 are like 6.62 each. All three Amazon is calling "bargain price," whatever that means. Is it like the cheapies at the front of bricks-and-mortar stores? I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Typically it means they are remaindered overstock, with some sort of dash made by a marker on the UPC or bottom edge. Otherwise they are identical to a full price copy.
Old 04-07-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can live with that for $3.60
Old 04-10-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished Irredeemable 1 and really liked it. Will pick up vol 2.

No complaints about the "bargain" volume. It had an amazon UPC sticker over the regular UPC and the cover showed some minor wear.
Old 04-20-11, 08:07 AM

So, I'm reading the trades of both. I hear that both can be read independently, but is my reading enhanced if I alternate chapters between the two, or if I read the trades in order of publication (something like Irredeemable 1 & 2; Incorruptible 1; Irredeemable 3; Incorruptible 2, etc.)?
Old 04-25-11, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Just wanted to point out that the Definitve Irredeemable is in the Previews catalog this month. Oversized Slipcased hardcover containing the first 12 issues. A little pricey at $75 but is at 45% off at DCBS.
Old 04-25-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like clockwork (OK, not really), Irredeemable 2 showed up in my quick picks so I picked it up ($6+, so more "expensive" than vol. 1).

I don't know, I didn't like it as much as the first one. Partly because I felt like I was struggling to remember who the characters were, even though I read the first just a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was the "so-and-so looks like so-and-so, but is really so-and-so" angle.

I might pick up vol 3 at some point, but this and other later volumes aren't bargain-priced, at least on Amazon, so they're pushing $11+. I know I shouldn't complain about prices like that, but these are fairly slim volumes (four issues each, I think) and thus relatively more expensive than some other stuff I could buy.
Old 04-25-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking of getting the Definitive edition (since I'm a sucker for hardcovers) until I saw the price and issue count. But the single issues are 3.99 or so as well, right?
Old 04-30-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't love the series enough to spring for the HC, especially since I've paid around $10 for the first eight issues.

Maybe my problem with the second volume is that I really liked the concept of the first volume, but the second made me question the sustainability. I'll try #3 at some point.
Old 04-11-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interview with Waid at the link

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/mark...nd-120203.html

Mark Waid Ends IRREDEEMABLE, INCORRUPTIBLE

Fans of Mark Waid's Irredeemable and Incorruptible are learning today that the old adage is true: All good things must come to an end.

After three years of telling the critically acclaimed story of a superhero gone bad — and his former nemesis turned good — Waid is ending both series in May.

The final story arcs for the two series will take place in Irredeemable #34-#37 and Incorruptible #27-#30.

Incorruptible is a spin-off from Irredeemable, the Eisner and Harvey Award-nominated series that started in 2009. The two series, which have been lauded for their complex exploration of the path to villainy and redemption, just finished their first crossover in January 2012.

Writing the two series was a journey that started with Waid's decision to serve as the editor-in-chief at Boom! Studios back in 2007. The new position gave him the freedom to invent a new superhero universe, populating it with characters whose story could evolve and change and grow.
Old 05-15-12, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i read both these titles and like them a lot. my only complaint would be that after a couple months the next volume will come out and when i start reading it i wont remember who some of the characters were. i am not sure if that means there are too many or they arent memorable enough aside from the main stars but overall it is a clever and fun series to me.

someone earlier asked at what point do you start reading incorruptible. i am wondering that as well because i just buy them on release day and read them that way but if i wanted to loan the collection to someone i dont remember where the second one begins in the timeline. i think at the moment there are like 8 irredeemable to 6 incorruptible so perhaps after the first 2?

one advantage that hardcover may have over my softcovers is that since they are pretty short (sometimes 4 issues -- which isnt so bad with amazons prices), they often contain an issue of a different comic at the end for padding. i guess this is smart marketing but i havent actually read one that i liked enough to go buy yet...

ps: i think i heard somewhere that there will be a third 'i' title coming out at some point. he is really fleshing out this 'verse!
Old 05-15-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that third title is Insufferable, which is online at:
http://www.thrillbent.com/

Could be wrong, though. So if I like Irredeemable, I'll like Incorruptible too? I really dislike the naming convention here, it's a little confusing.

I bought about 20 or so issues with the 99c comixology sale a few weeks back, but I really regret not buying more.
Old 05-15-12, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think that third title is Insufferable, which is online at:
http://www.thrillbent.com/

Could be wrong, though. So if I like Irredeemable, I'll like Incorruptible too? I really dislike the naming convention here, it's a little confusing.

I bought about 20 or so issues with the 99c comixology sale a few weeks back, but I really regret not buying more.
yeah youd prolly like incorruptible. if you dont know the premise its kinda the flipside of irreedemable -- a supervillain who turns good in order to stop the superhero who has turned bad. he also has a pretty original superpower.
Old 05-15-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, is that the guy in the third story of the Irreedemable annual (they Howard Chaykin one)? Because I read that with no idea who that guy was, and I thought maybe I just wasn't far enough into the series yet.
Old 05-15-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've read the first few trades of one but I'm not sure which. I think it was Irredeemable.
Old 05-15-12, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've read the first few trades of one but I'm not sure which. I think it was Irredeemable.
seriously, boom should consider doing what idw does with transformers and dynamite does with the boys for example -- when the big hardcovers come out just grab everything thats connected in the same verse by the same creator and put it in one collected book but in chronological order. then you can just go by the numbers on the spine. the boys even includes any side mini-series.
Old 10-23-12, 12:32 PM

So I finished reading all the trades over the weekend of both series. Not sure I liked it, but at any rate, I have a question.
Spoiler:
When Max Damage and the Plutonian fight, Max says something to Tony that makes him fly away and leave Coalville alone. Were we supposed to not know what was said or did they hint at it later? I really don't get what happened there. What did I miss?