Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (1/21-1/23): No Brain Attached

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. No Strings Attached (Paramount) NEW [3,018 Theaters]
Friday $7.3M, Estimated Weekend $20M

2. The Green Hornet 3D (Sony) Week 2 [3,584 Theaters]
Friday $5.2M (-53%), Estimated Weekend $17M, Estimated Cume $62.3M

3. Dilemma (Universal) Week 2 [2,943 Theaters]
Friday $3M, (-51%), Estimated Weekend $10M, Estimated Cume $33.5M

4. The King's Speech (Weinstein Co) Week 9 [1,680 Theaters]
Friday $2M, Estimated Weekend $7M, Estimated Cume $56.5M

5. True Grit (Paramount) Week 5 [3,464 Theaters]
Friday $2M, Estimated Weekend $6.7M, Estimated Cume $137.3M

6. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 8 [2,407 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Estimated Weekend $5.7M, Estimated Cume $83M

7. Little Fockers (Universal) Week 5 [2,979 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M, Estimated Weekend $4M, Estimated Cume $140.8M

8. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 6 [2,275 Theaters]
Friday $1.2M, Estimated Weekend $4M, Estimated Cume $72.5M

9. Tron: The Legacy 3D (Disney) Week 7 [2,018 Theaters]
Friday $975K, Estimated Weekend $3.5M, Estimated Cume $163M

10. Yogi Bear 3D (Warner Bros) Week 6 [2,510 Theaters]
Friday $750K, Estimated Weekend $3.5M, Estimated Cume $88.3M

Should we be surprised utterly generic-looking tripe ends up winning the weekend? No, no we shouldn't. I like this time of year, though, because you can really tell when older moviegoers are getting out to see all the Oscar films. The top 10 is usually slightly less full of shit.
Old 01-22-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (1/21-1/23): No Brain Attached

Still better than having The Dilemma, Yogi Bear or Fockers top the charts.

The way I figure it, the box office could be a lot worse than having a Natalie Portman Sexcom being #1. The fact that Black Swan has a real chance to break $100m (granted it's a stetch at this point but if it did it'd outgross Social Network), kind of redeems it all.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tron ended up having pretty good legs. Looks like it will make back its production costs on domestic alone. And it made even more in foreign markets.
Old 01-22-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen plenty of romantic comedies where I hated both characters and none of the jokes were funny, and for me, No Strings Attached was the opposite on both counts. It's kind of annoying everyone assuming it's horrible based on Ashton Kutcher's presence or green-band trailers/TV spots. This kind of reaction should be saved for times when You Got Served and Kangaroo Jack are January #1s. Like RichC2 says, it could've been Fockers.
Old 01-22-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That may be true, but the marketing campaign was annoying and the film sold me nothing but everything I've seen before.
Old 01-22-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius
Tron ended up having pretty good legs. Looks like it will make back its production costs on domestic alone. And it made even more in foreign markets.
Rumor is that Disney may put a teaser for Tron 3 on the BD of Tron/Tron Legacy.
Old 01-22-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Sad to see that Fockers is the second highest grossing film in that list. You wonder if they will squeeze one more out of that franchise with hopes of hitting the 100 million mark again.
Old 01-22-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
That may be true, but the marketing campaign was annoying and the film sold me nothing but everything I've seen before.
Your second point I'd counter with the fact that almost everything that comes out is equally unoriginal, but the first one, well, I never saw a trailer in theaters for it and I don't watch television, so I missed the campaign.
Old 01-22-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Your second point I'd counter with the fact that almost everything that comes out is equally unoriginal, but the first one, well, I never saw a trailer in theaters for it and I don't watch television, so I missed the campaign.
I can't argue with you there, but I also detest rom-coms so my interest would never have been there in the first place.

As for the annoying marketing, as I posted in the film's thread they did a campaign on TV where Portman and Kutcher were sitting on a couch, goofing off and essentially begging America to see their new film while bland clips were played. When actors break the fourth wall to campaign for their film like this, it instantly turns me off to whatever's being promoted.
Old 01-22-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I'm happy Black Swan might make it to $100 million. Who would've thought?

2. I'm happy True Grit might eclipse Little Fockers in domestic box office. Again, who would've thought?

3. There are some romantic comedies I like, but let's not kid ourselves, women screenwriters are usually awful and always appeal to the lowest common denominator (of women). In fact, most women screenwriters do a fantastic job at pissing away whatever power women's suffrage holds. I'm sure Susan B. Anthony is rolling around in her grave when films like No Strings Attached are meant to "empower" women.

I unfortunately have to see No Strings Attached because of the fiance (ugh), but outside of Natalie Portman and Kevin Kline, there is NOTHING appealing to the film. In fact, almost the entire cast gets on my nerves.

Ashton Kutcher
Cary Elwes
Mindy Kaling
Greta Gerwig
Chris "Ludacris" Bridges
Olivia Thirlby
Lake Bell

Not only is that an annoying cast, that's a pretty shitty cast! Ludacris may get an exemption for the classic 2 Fast 2 Furious, but seriously.

For those who are going to defend Greta Gerwig, up yours you mumblecore fucks. The best role she's ever "acted" in was when her face got blown off in The House of the Devil.
Old 01-22-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Ashton Kutcher
Cary Elwes
Mindy Kaling
Greta Gerwig
Chris "Ludacris" Bridges
Olivia Thirlby
Lake Bell

Not only is that an annoying cast, that's a pretty shitty cast! Ludacris may get an exemption for the classic 2 Fast 2 Furious, but seriously.

For those who are going to defend Greta Gerwig, up yours you mumblecore fucks. The best role she's ever "acted" in was when her face got blown off in The House of the Devil.
You're giving exemption points for someone in a hilariously awful (and one of the most unintentionally homoerotic) action flick (Luda in the horrendous 2F2F) and giving people shit over Greta Gerwig? That's fucking funny. And probably gives Lake Bell, Cary Elwes and Ashton Kutcher an exemption too - they've all been in plenty of equally crappy movies.

I'm not defending NSA or anybody in it, but really? 2F2F as a defense. Wow.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-22-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

greta gerwig was great in GREENBERG

oiliva thirlby is fucking flawless

between those 2 and natalie portman - i'll eventually see NSA (rental) but i doubt i'll enjoy it based on the reviews i've been reading and along with my general disliking of ashton kutcher
Old 01-22-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not going to pretend like NSA looks good but i am glad to see Ivan Reitman have a hit, it has been too long.

With over a month to go before the oscars, i can almost guarantee that Bkack Swan will pass $100 mil and True Grit will pass Fockers.
Old 01-22-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
I'm not going to pretend like NSA looks good but i am glad to see Ivan Reitman have a hit, it has been too long.
It's a little early to call it a "hit", isn't it?
Old 01-22-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It's a little early to call it a "hit", isn't it?
$20 mil opening weekend in January and it's #1. It might not be raking in cash but I think the people behind it have to be happy, especially with a $25 mil production budget.
Old 01-22-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would love if Black Swan can pass Yogi Bear (which unless theres a huge callapse, it wont)
Old 01-22-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I would love if Black Swan can pass Yogi Bear (which unless theres a huge callapse, it wont)
It's possible. The awards bump could help it eke past.
Old 01-22-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
"Yogi Bear" is the anti-Christ. Very weak opening. Then out of no where, started making money. The 80 plus million it makes should have gone to "Tangled".
Old 01-22-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought Baghead was great, and that she was great in it. And she's funny in this. Meh. I also don't find Kaling or Ludacris particularly annoying, Thirlby's part is small, Elwes's is non-existent (seriously), and it's one of Kutcher's least smarmy performances to date.
There are some romantic comedies I like, but let's not kid ourselves, women screenwriters are usually awful and always appeal to the lowest common denominator (of women). In fact, most women screenwriters do a fantastic job at pissing away whatever power women's suffrage holds. I'm sure Susan B. Anthony is rolling around in her grave when films like No Strings Attached are meant to "empower" women.
I'm always on the lookout for cool movies by women writers or directors, but I admit, there's a lot of shit out there (Diablo Cody, please die in a fire).
Old 01-22-11, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I thought Baghead was great, and that she was great in it. And she's funny in this. Meh. I also don't find Kaling or Ludacris particularly annoying, Thirlby's part is small, Elwes's is non-existent (seriously), and it's one of Kutcher's least smarmy performances to date. I'm always on the lookout for cool movies by women writers or directors, but I admit, there's a lot of shit out there (Diablo Cody, please die in a fire).
I saw both Baghead and Hannah Takes the Stairs theatrically and I wanted to hang myself during both of them. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed some mumblecore films (usually those not done by Joe Swanberg), but those two I feel are low men on the totem pole compared to the rest. Those are also two films that I'm never getting my time and/or money back on.

The only current females currently working behind the camera and putting out quality, that I can think of, are Sofia Coppola and Kathryn Bigelow.