Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Being Human -- New SyFy Series -- "There Goes the Neighborhood Part 1" -- 1/17/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Being Human -- New SyFy Series -- "There Goes the Neighborhood Part 1" -- 1/17/11

Old 01-17-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-09

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Part 1 of 2. After a bloody night out, a vampire and a werewolf decide to become roommates to look out for each other, and they find a townhouse that's haunted by the ghost of their landlord's fiancée in the opener of the series following three supernatural beings who try to live like humans.

13 episode 1st season

Promo with interviews:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-sxTtOO1HYQ" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p5NERIgyxBo" frameborder="0"></iframe>

This is a remake of a British TV series. I have not seen the original, so I will judge this series on it's own merits.
Old 01-17-11, 01:57 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Being Human -- New SyFy Series -- "There Goes the Neighborhood Part 1" -- 1/17/1

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is a remake of a British TV series. I have not seen the original, so I will judge this series on it's own merits.
I'm going to set the DVR, but I don't know when I'll get time to watch it. Thanks for the reminder DJariya -- as usual.
Old 01-17-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Being Human -- New SyFy Series -- "There Goes the Neighborhood Part 1" -- 1/17/1

^^ Yeah I will probably get to this later in the week. It's a really crowded night and I still have some stuff from Sunday to go through.
Old 01-17-11, 02:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I like the British series, so I'll give this one a shot.
Old 01-17-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original UK series creator liked the pilot for what it is worth. The promos show promise so I'll check it out. Even if you don't like the US copy, I strongly suggest everyone watch the UK version.

One of the best shows on TV.
Old 01-17-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watch the UK original last summer and I liked it. I'm going to give this a show a chance. I like Sam Witwer, Sam Huntington and Marc Pellegrino from past shows/movies they have done. The producers said there are going to be differences from the original. A lot of people on other sites are already complaining about this and they haven't watched show. There have been some bad American remakes of UK shows but I think show might be ok since American audiences tend to love a lot of supernatural or horror type shows.
Old 01-17-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know this was being remade. I'll have to check it out.

I saw the first series of the original, and I liked it even though it was hamstrung by the british 6 episode series length. It was basically 3 episodes focusing on each roommate and their backstory, one "regular" episode, a penultimate episode setting up the finale and then the finale. It the end it was almost like an extended mini-series than an episodic TV show.
Old 01-18-11, 02:48 PM
Banned by request

I thought the pilot sucked. I'm having a hard time even liking the actor who plays the vampire. And his name is Aiden, the same name as the actor who plays the vampire from the British series. Ha....ha. The storyline seems almost like a complete remake from the story perspective, save for the werewolf who's sister is caught up in it all. I guess I made the mistake of seeing the British series first. Unless this picks up quick, I'm bailing.

And judging from the responses on here, I'm not holding much hope this one will last long. Doesn't seem like too many people even bothered on seeing it. Or maybe 2-3 million all DVR'd it.
Old 01-18-11, 03:28 PM

trespoochies, you did NOT make a mistake by watching the original UK Being Human first, since it is a great series! The US version seemed like a bland carbon-copy of the UK version. I'm glad Season 3 of the original starts in the UK on BBC Three this Sunday.
Old 01-18-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I thought the pilot sucked. I'm having a hard time even liking the actor who plays the vampire. And his name is Aiden, the same name as the actor who plays the vampire from the British series. Ha....ha. The storyline seems almost like a complete remake from the story perspective, save for the werewolf who's sister is caught up in it all. I guess I made the mistake of seeing the British series first. Unless this picks up quick, I'm bailing.
Agreed on all points. Aside from the new Merrick (Cop Vampire) the rest of the actors are a downgrade from the original. The girl playing the ghost is just plain annoying. Everyone is whiny, sad and mopey. The humor and charm of the original is wholly absent. The leads have zero chemistry and those missing elements are the things that make the original work.
Old 01-18-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Never saw the original but agree that this pilot sucked.
Old 01-18-11, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by diditagain
trespoochies, you did NOT make a mistake by watching the original UK Being Human first, since it is a great series! The US version seemed like a bland carbon-copy of the UK version. I'm glad Season 3 of the original starts in the UK on BBC Three this Sunday.
I meant from the perspective the remake had a lot to live up to. And you just made my day - I didn't know just when series 3 was starting. This is great news. Now I just hope the US remake gets at least a little better.
Old 01-18-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll give it a shot, though I watched the pilot of the original and felt no need to continue.
Old 01-18-11, 07:09 PM
Banned by request

The original has a slow start, but by the third episode, it really hits its stride. Its a much more developed show with better actors. If you like the premise, then stick with the original.
Old 01-19-11, 12:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I like it
Old 01-19-11, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The show has potential, though I am not sure the pilot showed too much of it. The British series is a little overhyped, though the tone for the American pilot seemed a bit glossy.
Old 01-19-11, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I like it
Me too. Having low expectations helped, I'm sure.
Old 01-19-11, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't like the pilot at all but really dig the British version. I thought the British version was canceled but I guess it is still going. I'll give it a few more episodes before i drop it. The biggest problem I think is they tried to stay to close to the original instead of just running with the idea. I suspect this will change. Also I can not say I like any of the actors right off the bat but still it is only the first episode.
Old 01-19-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Love the original. Hated this one.
I'll stick with the British series.
Old 01-19-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved it.

Never saw the original series, so maybe that made a difference. I liked the music and the way it was shot. The story kept me interested, and the cast was strong, too.

So far, the vampire seems to be the most interesting character. The interactions they had with the ghost were kind of awkward, but hopefully they'll develop her character in future eps.
Old 01-19-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

C'mon guys, the U.S. version wasn't THAT bad.

Yes, I've seen the original series and loved it. Watched this and liked it a lot, but yeah it's not as solid. The special effects were on par. The script/acting a bit shaky. So what? I think as far as UK adaptations, it was a solid effort and will continue giving it a fair chance....
Old 01-19-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original is excellent. This one not so much. The way it's shot makes it look like a cheap soap opera.
Old 01-19-11, 09:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
Love the original. Hated this one.
I'll stick with the British series.
can't say I hated it, but I definately was not impressed. The British series had a much better cast.
Old 01-20-11, 07:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

never saw the brit version, but I totally enjoyed this one. I'm in. The guy playing the werewolf makes the show, IMO.
Old 01-20-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed it... Maybe its not quite time to compare one episode (and a pilot at that) to a whole series yet. It had its rough parts, but for the most part though it was decent enough to stick with it for a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.