Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arnold Schwarzenegger is considering starring in With Wings as Eagles

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Arnold Schwarzenegger Looking at Three Scripts
Source: Krone.at, TheArnoldFans.com

January 17, 2011

Arnold Schwarzenegger is looking to return to the movie business and told Krone.at (via TheArnoldFans.com) that he is looking at three possible scripts. Here's a translation of the quote:

"Currently I'm reading three scripts. One topic/script, which I considered a long time ago before governor, is delighting me particularly. In it I would play an older [German] soldier, who gets the order at the ending of the war to kill a bunch of kids. But he doesn't do it and get them to safety at the risk of his life and it has all kind of adventure. This script is based on a true story!"
TheArnoldFans says the movie that Schwarzenegger is describing is With Wings as Eagles, which was written by Randall Wallace (Braveheart, We Were Soldiers).

The story is based on the true life story of a German officer who doesn't agree with his Nazi party and instead helps the American POWs escape.

There is no confirmation on what the other two scripts are.
Old 01-17-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger is considering starring in With Wings as Eagles

please just let them be straight up ass-kicking action flicks before he kicks the bucket.
Old 01-17-11, 01:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Either way, glad to see he's not wasting time getting back to making movies.
Old 01-17-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The good hearted Nazi movies haven't done well at the box office, maybe he should start with something else.
Old 01-17-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Movie should end with Arnold getting Hitler stuck on a V2 rocket. He goes "Hasta la vista, Hitler" & then fires it into the oncoming German air force. Sure historically inaccurate but would kick ass to see.
Old 01-17-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Movie should end with Arnold getting Hitler stuck on a V2 rocket. He goes "Hasta la vista, Hitler" & then fires it into the oncoming German air force. Sure historically inaccurate but would kick ass to see.
Would not the appropriate line instead be...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E089FnwgUc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E089FnwgUc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-17-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's too old for action films and he's a terrible actor...I couldn't imagine him in a drama or anything that didn't involve action set pieces.

He needs to retire gracefully so we can all recall fondly our favorite AS films, not leave a tainted legacy trying to recapture his past magic.
Old 01-17-11, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
He's too old for action films and he's a terrible actor...I couldn't imagine him in a drama or anything that didn't involve action set pieces.

He needs to retire gracefully so we can all recall fondly our favorite AS films, not leave a tainted legacy trying to recapture his past magic.
I believe one of his next roles is in The Expendables 2. Sly wants a lot more Arnold and Willis.
Old 01-17-11, 05:24 PM

Hasn't this script been kicking around since 1996? Or earlier?

I'd be up for it if they shot the whole thing in German.
Old 01-17-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
he's a terrible actor...
I actually don't think he's a terrible actor. Crazy, I know, but if you look at something like "Predator" (the early scenes before the action picks up) he's very charismatic and the acting is very believable. I don't think he's really capable of handling a role with any substance but when he's put in a role that is written to his strengths and limitations he's actually capable of doing a fair bit more than cheesy one-liners and delivering hammy performances that are played that way merely to compete with over-the-top action setpieces. Granted, that's 90% of his performances, and by all accounts it was something he encouraged as opposed to being typecast in these roles against his wishes.

The same thing happened to Stallone. Granted, Stallone is easily twice the actor Schwarzenegger is but nevertheless he found himself in generic action roles that essentially erased good acting (or great acting in the case of the original acting) from the minds of the public. You can't help but laugh a little inside when you see Stallone compared to Brando and Deniro in old trailers on the "Rocky" box set but if you can actually kinda ignore what came after and look at that performance itself it really wasn't the craziest prediction to make even if it was wrong.
Old 01-17-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

whatever he does he needs to hit the gym asap
Old 01-17-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

True Lies 2. Fucking NOW!
Old 01-17-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
True Lies 2. Fucking NOW!
I didn't know Tom Arnold was on the board
Old 01-18-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Stern Show Tom Arnold mentioned that he and Schwarzenegger were looking into a buddy flick similar to True Lies.
Old 01-18-11, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I actually don't think he's a terrible actor. Crazy, I know, but if you look at something like "Predator" (the early scenes before the action picks up) he's very charismatic and the acting is very believable. I don't think he's really capable of handling a role with any substance but when he's put in a role that is written to his strengths and limitations he's actually capable of doing a fair bit more than cheesy one-liners and delivering hammy performances that are played that way merely to compete with over-the-top action setpieces. Granted, that's 90% of his performances, and by all accounts it was something he encouraged as opposed to being typecast in these roles against his wishes.

The same thing happened to Stallone. Granted, Stallone is easily twice the actor Schwarzenegger is but nevertheless he found himself in generic action roles that essentially erased good acting (or great acting in the case of the original acting) from the minds of the public. You can't help but laugh a little inside when you see Stallone compared to Brando and Deniro in old trailers on the "Rocky" box set but if you can actually kinda ignore what came after and look at that performance itself it really wasn't the craziest prediction to make even if it was wrong.
Excellent analysis! +1
Old 01-18-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always loved Arnie's films and I'm happy to hear he's looking to start working again. As for complaints he needs to hit the gym... of course he does. But if anyone can get their ass back into shape for a film, it's Arnold.