Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors that need a career resurrection/make-over? Bonus Thread: Winona Ryder's Rack!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors that need a career resurrection/make-over? Bonus Thread: Winona Ryder's Rack!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 11:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

There are so many fine actors that have done great stuff and then for odd reasons (maybe just a paycheck) take roles that seem so beneath them (at least from what they've done before).

2 actors that I like that I think need to start picking better roles or just take small roles in great films are:

1. Bruce Willis. Yes, Red was back on track, but his stuff prior Surrogates, etc... seemed to have put one of my favorite actors in a rut.

2. Jennifer Aniston. she is very likable and i really liked her in The Good Girl. i think she needs to take more dramatic roles or smaller roles like that to get her out of this rom-com mentality. i think she can do better and would really like to see her expand much more and see what can happen.

Who do you think could use a good career make-over?
Old 12-28-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Actors that need a career resurrection/make-over? Bonus Thread: Winona Ryder's Rack!

Aniston was never great, and she's only got a film career because people feel sorry for her.

Robert DeNiro certainly could use one, but I think he's mostly given up on trying anymore. I'd love to see Kurt Russell dive into some more leading roles.
Old 12-28-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
re: Actors that need a career resurrection/make-over? Bonus Thread: Winona Ryder's Rack!

Winona Ryder.

Adam Sandler: he should reverse the Leslie Nielsen career transition and turn to straight drama, doing the roles that a younger Gene Hackman or Dustin Hoffman would have done. Can you imagine a remake of KRAMER VS. KRAMER with Sandler? And Winona Ryder in the Streep role. Can't miss! At least it would be funnier than the original.
Old 12-28-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

KillerCannibal got it right, Kurt Russell. That guy kicked all sorts of ass and then just stopped making movies. Come back Kurt, the world needs you.
Old 12-28-10, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easily Robert De Niro. Hes my favorite actor ever, but why he stars in material thats beneath him is beyond me. He needs to take lessons form Jeff Bridges and Robert Duvall who are still giving great performances
Old 12-28-10, 12:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I miss Gene Hackman.
Old 12-28-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I miss Gene Hackman.
at least go out on a better movie than Welcome to Mooseport
Old 12-28-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I miss Gene Hackman.

With the type of movies he was appearing in, I'm glad he retired....same goes for Sean Connery.

I wish DeNiro would retire as well.
Old 12-28-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Winona Ryder.
First person I thought of when I saw the thread.
Old 12-28-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

although its not a true career resurection, she does have a fairly large role in Black Swan
Old 12-28-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dog that played Air Bud
Old 12-28-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
First person I thought of when I saw the thread.
Old 12-28-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nicolas Cage.
John Travolta (yet again)
Old 12-28-10, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Nicolas Cage.
John Travolta (yet again)
Cage is a good one.

I would also like Vince Vaughn to get back to drama like A Cool, Dry Place or Clay Pigeons or the unbelievable Return to Paradise and The Prime Gig. Or the small bits like Into the Wild I thought he was fantastic in those and hate most of his comedic dribble.
Old 12-28-10, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
although its not a true career resurection, she does have a fairly large role in Black Swan
Not to mention the nice little role in Star Trek.
Old 12-28-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
Little is right, most people I know had no clue that was her.
Old 12-28-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I want Sandler to get back to doing some dramas. I like his comedies and all, but he's really a tremendous dramatic actor. Let's get more Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and Funny People and less Chuck And Larry and Grown Ups.
Old 12-28-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-28-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Michael Keaton - I've always liked him, he's got loads of personality on-screen, and he's got range. But he's done mainly small roles and voice acting for the past several years. I'd love to see him team up with Tim Burton again for something that could showcase him.

Tom Hanks - other than voice work, the only good role he's had in recent years was in Charlie Wilson's War. Before that, you have to go back to 2002 for something better (Catch Me If You Can and Road to Perdition) Looks like he's got some interesting acting roles coming up--hopefully he'll be back to form.
Old 12-28-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care if her career gets resurrected. I just wanted to post more pics of her. My all-time hottest actress ever . . .

Old 12-28-10, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are so many fine actors that have done great stuff and then for odd reasons (maybe just a paycheck) take roles that seem so beneath them (at least from what they've done before).

2 actors that I like that I think need to start picking better roles or just take small roles in great films are:

1. Bruce Willis. Yes, Red was back on track, but his stuff prior Surrogates, etc... seemed to have put one of my favorite actors in a rut.

2. Jennifer Aniston. she is very likable and i really liked her in The Good Girl. i think she needs to take more dramatic roles or smaller roles like that to get her out of this rom-com mentality. i think she can do better and would really like to see her expand much more and see what can happen.

Who do you think could use a good career make-over?
Willis career resurrection hopefully comes in the form of The Expendables 2....cuz Sly has plans for Willis' character...oh please oh please get Arnold pumped up w/ his own team of badasses w/ the Rock on that team. AHHHHHH! I have a huge ass load for The Expendables 2. Fuck i want that movie right now...

oh..uhm...on topic again:
Anistion has a film career for the simple mainstream. It's a shit career but stable....that's her own fault. Hell...I've yet to be interested in her acting..cuz it's all the same.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Aniston was never great, and she's only got a film career because people feel sorry for her.

Robert DeNiro certainly could use one, but I think he's mostly given up on trying anymore. I'd love to see Kurt Russell dive into some more leading roles.
Hopefully Scorsese does that film that he's planned for a while. I'd love to see De Niro w/ Marty again....there's nothing but gold w/ those 2 combined....

Originally Posted by sauce07
KillerCannibal got it right, Kurt Russell. That guy kicked all sorts of ass and then just stopped making movies. Come back Kurt, the world needs you.
Ah..yes...Death Proof...still pissed about him saying No to the Expendables...man...his charisma in that action film alone would have made it so much more fun...love hearing the guy tell a joke.

Ryder was worthless in that role. At least in Black Swan she had a good one...and...her voice was perfect for it.
Old 12-28-10, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Michael Keaton - I've always liked him, he's got loads of personality on-screen, and he's got range. But he's done mainly small roles and voice acting for the past several years. I'd love to see him team up with Tim Burton again for something that could showcase him.
check out The Merry Gentleman.
Old 12-28-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Wesley Snipes
Old 12-28-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-28-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Last edited by Cellar Door; 12-28-10 at 05:19 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.