Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the PSP GO worth it for 99.99$

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-27-10, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the option of buying the PSP GO for 99$ on some after holidays sale and i was wondering if it was worth it.

I never owned a PSP nor did i ever really want one. But for 100 i think i might bite. Hell even if only to play the two God of War games. I know the GO got a lot of shit because of it's price and they fact that people with existing UMD librairies were screwed because it couldn't play UMDs.

But since price is not an issue anymore is it still worth it? I know there's probably a PSP2 on it's way but that will easily be +300$

I have a PS3 an iPod Touch and a DS Lite (which i pretty much don't touch anymore since i got my iPod)

Thanks!
Old 12-27-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is the PSP GO worth it for 99.99$

I really like mine, but it just depends what titles you're looking to play. I've got both God of War games, and a few other titles. It's really nice for PS1 games as well. Also, the save anywhere feature is perfect for me.

That said, slightly smaller screen and there are quite a few PSP games that are UMD only, so it's up to you.
Old 12-27-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
I have the option of buying the PSP GO for 99$ on some after holidays sale and i was wondering if it was worth it.

I never owned a PSP nor did i ever really want one. But for 100 i think i might bite. Hell even if only to play the two God of War games. I know the GO got a lot of shit because of it's price and they fact that people with existing UMD librairies were screwed because it couldn't play UMDs.

But since price is not an issue anymore is it still worth it? I know there's probably a PSP2 on it's way but that will easily be +300$

I have a PS3 an iPod Touch and a DS Lite (which i pretty much don't touch anymore since i got my iPod)

Thanks!
No, not worth it IMO. The variety of digital downloads is less than UMD-based games.... with the price being the same (and often times MORE) than the UMD version when they are available. Couple that with a wide variety of used UMD games available, the Go isn't so hot for gaming.

I've owned a Go and still own a PSP-2000.... I preferred the Go but Sony's complete bungling of it made it less useful than the 2000. So much wasted potential.
Old 12-27-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

The only exception is if you already have Playstation Plus subscription. There's enough "free" downloadable content between PSOne Classics and minis to make the PSP Go worth it for those games.
Old 12-27-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The only exception is if you already have Playstation Plus subscription. There's enough "free" downloadable content between PSOne Classics and minis to make the PSP Go worth it for those games.
Yeah, but those games can be downloaded to a non-Go PSP just as easily.
Old 12-27-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, but those games can be downloaded to a non-Go PSP just as easily.
Absolutely true, but the PSP Go is more portable and has more on-board memory. I wouldn't buy a Go at this point as it just seems inferior to the PSP-2000 or 3000. Still one has to admit the PSP is kinda hard to bring with in your pocket, so for the free games you get with purchase and the ones through PS+, it might have some value as an on-the-go movie viewer/ game machine.
Old 12-27-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a touch then no. A lot of close to pap quality games coming out for apple and they are all less than $10. 99 cents if you get them on sale
Old 12-27-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSN is pretty awesome with all the PS1 games for $5-10, along with good deals on full PSP games almost every week. I have an 8 gig card packed full of stuff with about 4 gig of purchases that I can't fit on. Depending on the rarity of the game, a particular title may actually be cheaper on PSN. Also, I hate juggling UMDs, even worse than cartridges.

I have an iPod Touch but the depth of something like Persona 3 Portable or MGS: Peacewalker can't be matched by anything on the iDevices. And both those games were on sale for $20 a few weeks back.

Anyway, yeah iDevices are perfect for toilet gaming or a few minutes here and there, but as soon as you go past 20-30 minutes, the PSP makes the perfect portable addition for the long commute, trip, etc.

Btw, I've been trying to play Crimson Gem Saga on my iPod. It was a nice price at $5 but it has a lot of slow down and crashes like crazy. Kind of wish I'd just bought the PSP version.