Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - First Season- $26.99 Amazon TV Deal of the Week 12/26-1/2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - First Season- $26.99 Amazon TV Deal of the Week 12/26-1/2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 03:07 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - The Complete First Season- $26.99 (list price $59.97)

Amazon.com
The "sword and sandals" genre isn't exactly known for its subtlety and restraint, but even by those standards, Spartacus: Blood and Sand is deliriously, delightfully over the top. Viewers familiar with the 1960 film starring Kirk Douglas and directed by Stanley Kubrick, the best-known version of the Spartacus tale, will recognize the basic outline of the story: a Thracian warrior with a beautiful, loving wife is betrayed by his Roman "allies" and forced into slavery, whereupon he distinguishes himself as a gladiator nonpareil and, after enduring countless indignities, leads his brethren and others in a rebellion against their oppressors. But there's a lot more Caligula than Kubrick in the 13 first-season episodes (each a bit less than an hour long) of this Starz television series, which stars Andy Whitfield in the title role and also features Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) as the wicked wife of Spartacus's owner. The fight scenes are highly stylized (the entire production seems to have taken a cue from the surreal, painterly look of 300) but extraordinarily brutal, featuring multiple dismemberments and decapitations amidst seas of slow-motion, CGI-generated blood; a gladiatorial battle in episode 5 pitting Spartacus and his rival-turned-ally Crixus (Manu Bennett) against a monster named Theokoles is definitely not for the squeamish, but that's only one of many such scenes. There's also ample sex and nudity, as the couplings involving various studly gladiators and lustful Roman noblewomen are like salacious combat between Chippendales dancers and Victoria's Secret models. Meanwhile, the personal relationships are the stuff of soap operas, with the Romans in particular depicted as relentlessly decadent, duplicitous, and power-hungry.
If this all sounds outrageously entertaining, it is, though perhaps not for everyone. And although the future of the show (which was executive produced by Spider-Man director Sam Raimi) is in doubt due to Whitfield's ongoing battle with cancer, we'll always have this season to revel in. Bonus material in the four-disc set includes audio commentary on a variety of episodes and a batch of featurettes, most prominently a 15-minute "making of" documentary. --Sam Graham

Product Description
Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator. The classic tale of the Republic’s most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and visceral new series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More than a gladiator. He must become a legend.
Old 12-26-10, 01:13 PM

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand - First Season- $26.99 Amazon TV Deal of the Week 12/26

Just picked this up at Target for $14.99. Better than even Black Friday, woohoo.
Old 12-26-10, 06:26 PM

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand - First Season- $26.99 Amazon TV Deal of the Week 12/26

Originally Posted by JorgeC
Just picked this up at Target for $14.99. Better than even Black Friday, woohoo.
Thanks, just picked it up at Target! I had it in my cart on BF and decided to pass, glad I did!
Old 12-27-10, 09:00 PM
Suspended

has anyone seen this show? would you recommend it?
Old 12-28-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely would say get the series. One of the few shows that got better and better with each new episode.

LOL and copious amounts of nudity/sex NEVER fails to help either.
Old 12-28-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Target is killing it this week. Granted, I work there, so I get an extra 15% off, but every day I go in, I walk out with a new disc/season. True Blood, Always Sunny S5, Expendables Blu and now I'm gonna get Spartacus.... and I really don't need it with my backlog
Old 12-28-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just a heads up for those with Netflix the complete season will be available for streaming on January 1st.
Old 12-28-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidTransit
has anyone seen this show? would you recommend it?
This is def one of those shows where its def wise not to judge a show by its pilot (as its not that great, early on they were very keen on doing the 300 slow motion type battle scenes and blatantly fake cgi blood and gore)
Old 12-28-10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
This is def one of those shows where its def wise not to judge a show by its pilot (as its not that great, early on they were very keen on doing the 300 slow motion type battle scenes and blatantly fake cgi blood and gore)
I thought about buying this a number of times. But from what I heard they do not plan on making a 2nd season or even putting a end to it unless they did end it?
Old 12-28-10, 08:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
I thought about buying this a number of times. But from what I heard they do not plan on making a 2nd season or even putting a end to it unless they did end it?
not entirely true

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...el-series.html
Old 12-28-10, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Does Lucy show anything (I was at the Ducks game, when she did )? Looking at it, I'm glad he is doing good. I was taken back when I hear (at the time) they where not going to end this show. Its on Showtime?
Old 12-29-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drq2
Does Lucy show anything (I was at the Ducks game, when she did )? Looking at it, I'm glad he is doing good. I was taken back when I hear (at the time) they where not going to end this show. Its on Showtime?
She (and many other hot others) show quite a bit. There is copious amounts of nudity and violence in this, but I must warn that the nudity is equal to both sexes. This is a great series (after the first couple of episodes), but you better be ready for anything!

It's on Starz. I believe the prequel starts next month.
Old 12-29-10, 07:43 PM

I tried checking the inventory on Target.com, but couldn't find the title listed. Just went down to the local Target store and was able to snag the last copy @ $14.99. Great find! thanks....
Old 12-29-10, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rented this from Netflix in Blu-ray and thought it was excellent. as previously mentioned the CGI in the first episode or so was really bad, but as far as story lines go it was quite good. Spoiler alert. Read ahead if you dare.

After the last episode I don't see how they could have a second season, at least not without a lot of new actors.