Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody have to deal with friends/family that need explaining during every movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anybody have to deal with friends/family that need explaining during every movie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering this.
I have 2 very good friends that always need an explanation to what's going on in a movie. For example they either don't understand what's happening, why characters do something or can't remember which character is which.

We (me and other friends) pretty much laugh about it, but it sometimes makes want to put my face in my palm if you catch my drift.

The funny thing is, they're both highly intelligent with very good jobs in companies.

SO, anybody else deal with these kind of friends/family during movies?

Me and a friend are thinking of sitting down and watching Memento with them, just for a laugh
Old 12-24-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Anybody have to deal with friends/family that need explaining during every movie?

My gf, depending on how stoned she is.

My dad's gf, however, is quite possibly the dumbest woman I've ever known. She practically needed a field guide to get through Godfather I & II. She thought the "S&P" index stood for Salt & Pepper. Oh man, I could go on for days...

Luckily, none of the friends I watch moves with are that stupid.
Old 12-24-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Anybody have to deal with friends/family that need explaining during every movie?

Had to do this with The Town over Christmas this year. There was an entire argument over the second heist sequence and exactly how many people were in what cars. Argument didn't end until the scene was long over.

Needless to say, yes.
Old 12-24-10, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. All of them women.
Old 12-24-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, but I am often surprised, given that my friends know I review movies as a hobby, how many of them will try and talk to me during a movie. I always shush them.
Old 12-24-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

As I considered this question, I realized that I typically only view such films (ones that require deep thought or an explanation) on my own. When I go with friends/family, it's much more likely to be something "lighter" if that makes sense.
Old 12-24-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The Matrix.

Now that was one movie that I had to explain to several family members lol
Old 12-24-10, 11:00 PM

i hardly watch films in large groups or with anyone else to avoid this. but yes, i run into this very often. i had to do this with 'After Hours' when i watched it with some friends and their girlfriends.
Old 12-25-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I went to see The Little Fockers and everybody in the audience was asking out to anyone in their vicinity, "Why does this suck so much !?"
Old 12-25-10, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

My dad doesn't even understand Harry Potter. He thought the scene in Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 where the locket creates the illusion of Harry and Hermione making out was simply Ron Weasley having a sex dream.

To be fair, I think he was sleeping through half the movie anyway. God, he's great.
Old 12-25-10, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a few friends like this...always repeating exactly what was just shown on screen or asking me questions to make sure they're following the story correctly. it sucks. like others have mentioned, i tend to only watch lighter fare when i'm around friends. if i try to watch anything remotely artsy in a group then i'll be answering questions all night long.
Old 12-25-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

only after the movie is over will I answer any questions unless it is something they missed and need to know to get the rest of the plot. Otherwise, I tell them to wait and it will be explained.

they will ask me questions during a movie we see on opening day (that I obviously haven't seen). Its sooo annoying.
Old 12-25-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually explain what is happening on the screen to the entire movie theater audience. Kind of a running commentary.

Sometimes people don't appreciate it and I'm asked to leave by the ushers.
Old 12-25-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

yup, all the time.
Old 12-25-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

On a related note:
I have one friend who tries to do his MST3K schtick (usually after having a few drinks), No matter the subject matter or quality of the movie.
If it's a decent movie he gets shushed down by everyone else.
Old 12-25-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Watching Inception with the family last night was a nightmare. Basically every 15 minutes i had to explain what happened and tell them what to expect next.
Old 12-25-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
Watching Inception with the family last night was a nightmare. Basically every 15 minutes i had to explain what happened and tell them what to expect next.
same here. Once the first dream sequences were over (on the train) my mom yelled out 'alright, i'm fuckin confused'. My only answer is 'they'll explain it eventually'. They both actually got it once the movie ended
Old 12-25-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
They both actually got it once the movie ended
they just say that. if my mom gets too confused, she just acts like the movie was great and wont say another word about it. I think she just wants to avoid an earful from me.
Old 12-26-10, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black
The funny thing is, they're both highly intelligent...
Yeah probably not

I have friends and family members like that and I stopped watching movies with them a long time ago. It drove me nuts and life's too short man.
Old 12-27-10, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

If I had friends and family who needed explanations during a movie, I would never go to the movies with them. At home, I watch movies alone.
Old 12-27-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

If it's a movie I've seen, my response to questions from family members is "Do you know how I know the answer? Because I've seen the movie."

It's gotten to the point where I only have to answers questions after the movie is over.
Old 12-27-10, 08:58 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

My wife rarely needs films explained to her.

Last night, however...

She walked into the living room during the second exchange in Jackie Brown. She hadn't seen it in at least five years, while I've watched it quite a bit. She kept asking which part of the plan different people knew about and on and on. I offered to go back to the scene when they talk out their plan in precise detail but no, I'm to explain it instead. I haven't had to put a flick on pause that much in a long time.
Old 12-27-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man my friends wife had a hard time wrapping her head around the idea of what was happening at the
beginning of the latest Rambo flick. She couldn't undertand why the soilders were terrifing the prisoners.
Old 12-27-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Best I remember was when someone came over when I was watching "Risky Business"- about halfway through the movie, he said "She's a hooker, huh?"
Old 12-27-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I rarely see a movie with anyone other than my wife. Periodically we'll take my cousin, but she's intelligent enough to follow everything we've taken her to see so far. It used to be that we'd see movies with our friends fairly frequently, but now we're averaging 1 such gathering every year and a half, and more often than not those tend to be midnight showings of older movies we've all already seen and love (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dick Tracy, etc.).

In the rare instance we would see a movie with our group, the level of sarcasm is so pronounced that I think anyone with questions just shuts the hell up to avoid being ridiculed by the rest of us. Sometimes I felt bad about that, but then I got over it. Once the movie is over is the time for any questions or criticisms, and I've been known to ask them myself. Usually it's over either a plot hole or something I perceive to have been a plot hole.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.