Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What is up with FYE's sales??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, long story short....I enjoy travelling to various FYE's because I ALWAYS find at least one DVD that none of the other FYE's have. Whether it's something OOP, or just flat out rare.

So I come across "Wait Until Dark" (1967), marked 19.99, with a red sticker saying 4.99 on it. Ok , cool, it's on sale. Tons of movies are on sale at FYE, no suprise. I walk up to purchase it, it rings up at 19.99 and the cashier refuses to honor the 4.99. What the hell?? Whether someone screwed up or not, isn't the customer always right here??

Another example, another FYE. I see Hellraiser: Hellworld marked 39.99 (INSANE price for something that can bought for $7 on amazon new), but a $14.99 sticker on it. I say what the hell, I'll get it. SAME problem happens, and they won't honor the price. Who the hell is pricing these things??? All the other hellraiser's were $4.99, $9.99, all with stickers. The hell if I'm paying $40 for some crap movie.

has anyone else ever had this problem with FYE? It's really pissing me off, and it makes me feel AWKWARD because I get the impression the cashiers think that I put the sticker on my self. utterly ridiculous
Old 12-18-10, 06:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What is up with FYE's sales??

So you think paying $39.99 for Hellraiser: Hellworld is insane, but you are willing to pay more than double plus tax and think it is a great deal?
Old 12-18-10, 06:15 PM
Banned

no?? I would've purchased it for $14.99, not $39.99. My point was it was on sale, yet FYE didnt want to honor the sale
Old 12-18-10, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the store is accusing you of switching price stickers, they are legally obligated to sell it to you at the marked price. I worked at a discount store back in the day when most merchandise carried an actual price sticker, and remember scrambling to pull merchandise from shelves that had been mis-ticketed, so we wouldn't have to take the loss.

I had an incident like this recently at a grocery store where their sales circular clearly stated that a certain product, "12 oz, all varieties" was on sale for $1, but nobody short of the manager wanted to believe that their computer system and the missing sales tag on the shelf wasn't the end of the story. I pressed my case and actually got the product for free: their store policy when the the computer system is wrong.

If you really want this stuff and the FYE stores are nearby, I suggest going back and finding the manager. I don't know exactly what law is in effect here, but they can't pull that crap. I chalk up your experience to poorly-trained employees.
Old 12-19-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Kinda off topic, but do you remember if Wait Until Dark came in a regular plastic DVD case or a carboard snapper case?

It's $4.99 $5.99 on Amazon, btw - was just wondering in WB ever reissued it in a keepcase.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-19-10 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-19-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Tower Records did this a lot- at least 3 times I tried to buy DVDs that had lower-than-usual sale price tags on them, but was told that it was a mistake and they couldn't "legally" sell them for less than wholesale cost. No wonder they went out of business. (And yes, I ended up working for their main office later- still can't forgive them for that.)
Old 12-19-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Sounds like they just have a zombie employee problem - not being precise about their sales/barcoding/etc.

If I were you, I wouldn't return.
Old 12-19-10, 03:50 PM

FYE has ALWAYS honored wrong prices marked ojn items in my experiences.
Old 12-19-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Unless the store is accusing you of switching price stickers, they are legally obligated to sell it to you at the marked price. I worked at a discount store back in the day when most merchandise carried an actual price sticker, and remember scrambling to pull merchandise from shelves that had been mis-ticketed, so we wouldn't have to take the loss.

I had an incident like this recently at a grocery store where their sales circular clearly stated that a certain product, "12 oz, all varieties" was on sale for $1, but nobody short of the manager wanted to believe that their computer system and the missing sales tag on the shelf wasn't the end of the story. I pressed my case and actually got the product for free: their store policy when the the computer system is wrong.

If you really want this stuff and the FYE stores are nearby, I suggest going back and finding the manager. I don't know exactly what law is in effect here, but they can't pull that crap. I chalk up your experience to poorly-trained employees.
Care to share a link because I have worked in the retail industry for 25+ years and we have never been required to honor anything. Also who exactly would enforce such a thing?

They can get in trouble for misprices if an item does not scan correctly (at least in KY) and that is after warnings. But never been required to honor a misprice.
Old 12-19-10, 08:29 PM
Banned

They're not required by law to sell anything to anyone.

I managed a Musicland in NYC from 1986-1988, and ran a Target music/movies/books/electronics department for 6 months in 2009, and the post is patently incorrect.
Old 12-20-10, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_b
Kinda off topic, but do you remember if Wait Until Dark came in a regular plastic DVD case or a carboard snapper case?

It's $4.99 $5.99 on Amazon, btw - was just wondering in WB ever reissued it in a keepcase.

it was a snap-case, but i HAVE noticed that barnes and noble has been selling copies of "Wait Until Dark" in regular keep cases. WB did reissue it, and I'd bet the one being sold on amazon is in a regular case, sans a security sticker
Old 12-20-10, 04:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ Thanks!
Old 12-20-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

FYE's sale prices were always run by their POS and adjusted on the boxes with stickers. I always found, the bigger and busier the store, the more likely you will find items with outdated sale stickers.

Just the other day, I came across a CD with a sale sticker for $7.99. When I went to scan it at their listening station the full retail price came up, so I knew it was outdated. Thankfully my local store never refused to honor an old price sticker.

It's a rather flawed system because someone who is dishonest can easily switch price stickers and start a huge fuzz over the company honoring that price.
Old 12-20-10, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
They're not required by law to sell anything to anyone.

I managed a Musicland in NYC from 1986-1988, and ran a Target music/movies/books/electronics department for 6 months in 2009, and the post is patently incorrect.
They are in Cali (I am not getting into semantics over "sell" - fact is, they are required to honor the price by law):

California B&P Code, 12024.2.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of a commodity, to do any of the following:

(1) Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that commodity.

(2) Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity, notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the posted price is in effect.

(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or by both, if the violation is willful or grossly negligent, or when the overcharge is more than one dollar ($1).

(c) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) when the overcharge is one dollar ($1) or less.

(d) As used in subdivisions (b) and (c), "overcharge" means the amount by which the charge for a commodity exceeds a price that is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted to that consumer for that commodity at the time of sale.

(e) Except as provided in subdivision (f), for purposes of this section, when more than one price for the same commodity is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted, the person offering the commodity for sale shall charge the lowest of those prices.

(f) Pricing may be subject to a condition of sale, such as membership in a retailer-sponsored club, the purchase of a minimum quantity, or the purchase of multiples of the same item, provided that the condition is conspicuously posted in the same location as the price
Old 12-20-10, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
It's a rather flawed system because someone who is dishonest can easily switch price stickers and start a huge fuzz over the company honoring that price.

what's really screwed up, IMO, is that wherehouse.com is owned and operated by Transworld Ent just like FYE. So whether I purchase from either the company is still making $$.
My point is, even IF say hellraiser was mistakenly marked for $14.99, and they don't want to honor it, I can just go to wherehouse.com and purchase it for $7.99.....so in theory there losing more money by NOT honoring it?

see what I mean? I don't need people to jump on me and say, 'just order it online'....I enjoy the experience of browsing
Old 12-20-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix
what's really screwed up, IMO, is that wherehouse.com is owned and operated by Transworld Ent just like FYE. So whether I purchase from either the company is still making $$.
My point is, even IF say hellraiser was mistakenly marked for $14.99, and they don't want to honor it, I can just go to wherehouse.com and purchase it for $7.99.....so in theory there losing more money by NOT honoring it?

see what I mean? I don't need people to jump on me and say, 'just order it online'....I enjoy the experience of browsing
There's nothing wrong with just browsing, sometimes you luck into something cool that you never would've found otherwise, but no matter how enjoyable the experience is, I wouldn't ever buy something in a store that I know I can get for half price online.
Old 12-20-10, 06:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix
no?? I would've purchased it for $14.99, not $39.99. My point was it was on sale, yet FYE didnt want to honor the sale
You said in your post that you can get it on Amazon for $7 new, why shop at FYE when on sale it is twice as much. FYE, Suncoast and other mall dvd shops are going out of business because most smart shoppers don't bother with them anymore because the prices online are so much better.
Old 12-20-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by van der graaf
They are in Cali (I am not getting into semantics over "sell" - fact is, they are required to honor the price by law):
Seriously, do they really enforce a dumb ass law like that. Seriously put someone in jail if for a pricing error. What a fucked up state.
Old 12-22-10, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Care to share a link because I have worked in the retail industry for 25+ years and we have never been required to honor anything. Also who exactly would enforce such a thing?

They can get in trouble for misprices if an item does not scan correctly (at least in KY) and that is after warnings. But never been required to honor a misprice.
A link to what? I never stated that I was a lawyer or ever managed a store, and was recounting my experience in retail. [Edit]I should have prepended that highlighted line with "It is my understanding that in the state of Pennsylvania..." Better?[/Edit]

As you've made me curious, I did run some web searches and also called the office of my local representative. Pennsylvania uses a law called the "Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law" which includes 21 potential offenses. One is

(ix) Advertising goods or services with intent not to sell them as advertised;

and the final "catch all" clause is

(xxi) Engaging in any other fraudulent or deceptive conduct which creates a likelihood of confusion or of misunderstanding.

Could either of these be used to sue a retailer who regularly refuses to honor the sale prices marked on merchandise? Has this ever happened within Pennsylvania? I have no idea, as again, I am not a lawyer. But read articles like this one: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08317/927111-68.stm and come to your own conclusions.

To the original poster: I stand by the intent of my post. The next time this happens, talk to the manager. If you get no satisfaction, contact the consumer protection division of your state's Attorney General's office.

Last edited by thetao; 12-23-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-23-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The law varies from state to state. In certain states retailers are forced by law to sell an item at the marked or listed price if a customer brings it to checkout. Most national chains that have operations in multiple states go with a uniform policy of selling the item at the marked price even if that particular state does not require it. Smaller regional chains obviously do not have the same concerns...
Old 12-27-10, 07:33 PM
Suspended

My experience with decades of retail experience in Pa.(1972-2006)with much of it in management is that there is NO requirement for the store to sell merchandise incorrectly priced at the lower price. Intent for fraud(bait &switch) is different but near impossible to prove. Store can chalk individual situations up to mistake.Also,there is no law stating that a store must take back anything,unless they have a posted return policy.FYI,I had a similar situation with prices not showing up at register at FYE just a few weeks ago:the stuff is still there. I hopefully made everyone's day,including the manager and customer's waiting in line,a little crappier. 'Tis the season.
Old 12-29-10, 02:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

although fye has some great sales sometimes, the people that work there are pretty unprofessional and unorganized. A few years ago, when Rob Zombies Halloween remake was coming out I was there and noticed it on the shelves days before it's release date. I picked it up and went to pay for it and the snotty bitch behind the counter said "You cant buy this now, it was put on the shelves accidentally". I said ok then no prob. 2 days later my brother wanted to pick something up there so I took a ride with him and whattya know, Halloween was back on the shelves. So again, I pick it up and go to pay for it. Before I can get to the counter, same girl walks up to me, without saying a word and grabs it from my hand lol! That got me mad so I yell out"whats that shit"!! Loud enough for the other shoppers to hear. As shes walking away she says (w/out even looking at me) "i told u the other day it hasnt been released yet" (but yet it's still on the shevles). Anyway, after I made a scene I left and that was that.