Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

17 minutes of lost 2001 footage found in Kansas salt mine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From /Film;

They point us to a reports from Forgotten Silver and Blastr about an event in Toronto where Douglas Trumbull and David Larson, who were working on the now canceled documentary 2001: Beyond the Infinite: The Making of a Masterpiece, mentioned the footage had been found in perfect condition. Though they weren’t sure what the plans for the footage are, they did show images of never before seen scenes that will be in an upcoming photo book. It was unclear if these images were from the found footage or not.

According the 2001 IMDB page, when the film premiered in 1968, it ran 160 minutes. Kubrick then went in and trimmed a good 19 minutes or so. It’s assumed this would be the footage that was found in Kansas. Here’s what the IMDB says was cut:
  • Some shots from the “Dawn of Man” sequence and a new scene was inserted where an ape pauses with the bone it is about to use as a tool. The new scene was a low-angle shot of the monolith, done in order to portray and clarify the connection between the man-ape using the tool and the monolith.
  • Some shots of Frank Poole jogging in the centrifuge.
  • An entire sequence of several shots in which Dave Bowman searches for the replacement antenna part in storage.
  • A scene where HAL severs radio communication between the “Discovery” and Poole’s pod before killing him. This scene explains a line that stayed in the film in which Bowman addresses HAL on the subject.
  • Some shots of Poole’s space walk before he is killed.
Old 12-16-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts
re: 17 minutes of lost 2001 footage found in Kansas salt mine

Guess someone took the notion of "salting that footage away" seriously.
Old 12-16-10, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 17 minutes of lost 2001 footage found in Kansas salt mine

Also being discussed in HD Talk....

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/583...ming-soon.html