Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eh? Is R1=R3 (quality,extras, etc)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Eh? Is R1=R3 (quality,extras, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-00, 01:12 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried Region 3 (ASIA) compared to Region 1?

Cos I've got few R3 in Hong Kong/Msia and when I compared it (not side by side, as my region 1 disc is in Sydney) it looks almost identical except only for the fine print where it says made in Taiwan and distributed in Msia/Hk/Spore...

Even the extras and menu layout is the same. I was wondering.. since both formats are NTSC, could they be the exact copies? as it would make better sense to just copy it and not waste more money on developing another one since both share the same format.

pls note, the R3 here i am referring to is not those Hong Kong version, where the cover has the chinese name for english movies and i think even the menu page is in chinese, i've got one of it and I don't quite like it, don't even remember where i left it.
Old 05-01-00, 06:41 PM

Not all R3s are the same as R1. For example, the R3 'Eyes Wide Shut' does not have the additional post production figures added. I have heard that the R3 EWS is the best one to get, but I don't know the difference between it and the R2 version.
Old 05-01-00, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EWS in region 1 has the digitally added figures during some of the "naughty bits", the UK release has some crazy Indian chanting (or something like that) snipped from the soundtrack during another naughty bit, and presumably the R3 release has neither of these "enhancements" (but I don't know that last bit for certain.)

------------------
(insert amusing signature here)
ICQ# 61040969 Me and my DVDs...