Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Men of a Certain Age -- Season Premiere -- "If I Could, I Surely Would" -- 12/6/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Men of a Certain Age -- Season Premiere -- "If I Could, I Surely Would" -- 12/6/10

Old 12-06-10, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-12-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Season 2 opens with Joe eager to sharpen his golf skills. Yet he might get teed off about practicing at dawn and then discovering his new home is in his erstwhile bookie's neighborhood. Meanwhile, Owen ascends as manager of the family auto dealership, but he comes to regret hiring Terry as a salesman.

10 episode 2nd season.

I didn't watch season 1, but heard alot of great things about this show. I'm going to give this a try. Plus, the season is so short anyways at 10 episodes.
Old 12-06-10, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Men of a Certain Age -- Season Premiere -- "If I Could, I Surely Would" -- 12/6/1

http://www.tnt.tv/dramavision/index....f=sharethisUrl

5 minute video recap of season 1. It actually helped. Looking forward to checking this out now.
Old 12-06-10, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Men of a Certain Age -- Season Premiere -- "If I Could, I Surely Would" -- 12/6/1

Only 10 episodes?! Fuck. I really like this show. TNT is always so damn stingy.
Old 12-06-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to have this show back. DJariya, if you like tonight's episode, you should definitely check out the 6 episodes from Season One. It was one of my favorite new shows last year and given the subject matter, unexpectedly must-see.
Old 12-06-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see this back for a 2nd season!
Old 12-06-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Looking forward to it. It's one of those shows that doesn't have the buzz factor, so for me they always sat on the DVR for a while before I got to them, but once I did, man, great show.
Old 12-06-10, 11:05 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

TNT did the same with SouthLand's upcoming season (10 episodes). Anyway, looking forward to this.
Old 12-06-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kstublen
Glad to have this show back. DJariya, if you like tonight's episode, you should definitely check out the 6 episodes from Season One. It was one of my favorite new shows last year and given the subject matter, unexpectedly must-see.
I think season 1 was also 10 episodes, but yeah if I have time I will try to re-visit it at some point.
Old 12-06-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think season 1 was also 10 episodes, but yeah if I have time I will try to re-visit it at some point.
Yes, you're right. Season One was 10 episodes; I was thinking of The Walking Dead with its 6-episode first season.
Old 12-07-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good start to the new season. I liked Owen putting his foot down at work and realizing that he cant be the boss and be everyones friend.
Old 12-07-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that was a solid premiere.

I like that Giovanni (I forget his name, the bookie) is back for Season Two. Sucks Joe let him down like that. I understand why Joe isn't inclined to hang out with him (because of the gambling and whatnot) but the guy seems nice and he should at least give him a chance. Blowing him off without a second thought was sort of a low blow. But it was nice to see Joe getting back out there with some women and not letting his fears and insecurities get the best of him.

Owen's obviously struggling as boss, but I think he'll figure it out. It's tough when you go from being someone's peer to being their boss. Getting them to respect you must be difficult. Although I did think he made a mistake in letting Marcus just do whatever he wanted and I was sort of hoping Marcus wouldn't come back and they'd have to struggle for a little bit to regain some of their momentum. The guy is just such a jerk and I didn't like to see Owen crawling back to him. But, he is a good salesmen, so I guess the smart business move would be to get him back.

I liked really liked how Terry was being responsible in the episode. Him showing up to work on the bike had me dying. He really does seem like he'd be a natural at sales, but I can see where the haggling over price would bother him. It was great seeing his childlike enthusiasm as he ran up to the manager's office. Still, not sure what they're going for with that angle; are they going to have him stay on and learn the ropes or are they going to have him realize it's not for him. Eithe rway, I'm sure it'll be interesting to see.
Old 12-07-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its funny that Terry has a problem decieving and manipulating people to make a sale but as Joe pointed out he has no problem at all doing that to women.

I think Joe did the right think with the Bookie. Hes a bad influence and he really doesnt need someone like that in his life.
Old 12-07-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I think Joe did the right think with the Bookie. Hes a bad influence and he really doesnt need someone like that in his life.
Do you really think it is over? I have the feeling it is gonna get ugly.
Old 12-08-10, 08:41 AM

Yeah, great premiere the other night. Hopefully this second season pulls in decent numbers for TNT.
Old 12-08-10, 11:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

It seems like last season was forever ago. Loved it, as I did the entire first season.
Old 12-08-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Great episode. Glad to see this back on TNT.

It looks like the ratings went down a bit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blo...-men-age-57196

The return of TNT's Men of a Certain Age on Monday has been earning strong reviews from critics. Too bad the praise isn't translating into bigger numbers -- 2.4 million showed up, with only a 0.6 ratings in the adult demo. That's aways below last season's overall average of 3.2 million viewers. It's also falling off considerably from its Closer lead-in, which had 5.8 million viewers and a 1.0 rating.
Old 12-08-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Match
Likewise.

Good episode all around (was nice to see Joe shove aside his inhibitions for once...although no idea how a real-world Joe would score these hot 40-somethings), and as usual, the banter at Norm's was hilarious. Highlight so far: A terse Joe asking Terry, "No, really, how do you look at yourself in the mirror?" This show gets relationships right. Love it. (And even as a 37-year old, I can relate to much of the show's drama.)
Old 12-08-10, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Excellent start go the new season. They seemed to have jumped over some stuff, like what happened to Joe's new house?, but still excellent. And is it me or is the bookie really really creepy and seems to be going to a dark place with that story line?
Old 12-15-10, 01:22 PM

For those that didn't see my prior posts for season 1, I work for a marketing company that handled that season(and is now working on the 2nd) of this series and as a result I became a fan(already a long standing fan of Bakula and Romano).

Since the OP said he didn't see the first season, here is a great write-up of the penultimate episode over on AV Club:

Men of A Certain Age: Back in the Sh#t" : http://www.avclub.com/articles/men-o...he-****,38499/

Last season I always empathized with Owen because his relationship with his Dad was so stilted, and i really want to see how that plays out this season, especially with him at the new dealership.

And for more info on the series Check out the show's site:http://www.tnt.tv/series/menofacertainage/
Old 12-15-10, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Match

It looks like the ratings went down a bit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blo...-men-age-57196
The only shows on TNT I watch are this and Southland -- anyone know if TNT did a decent job of promoting the second season? If it weren't for this thread, I would have forgotten it was back on.
Old 12-15-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

If anyone is wondering, there is a thread for episode 2

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/583...2-13-10-a.html
Old 12-15-10, 01:42 PM

Do we want to consider having the thread for this show be for the season or individual episodes? The season 2 thread didn't receive any replies after the episode aired (perhaps it was lost among the masses).
Old 12-15-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Do we want to consider having the thread for this show be for the season or individual episodes? The season 2 thread didn't receive any replies after the episode aired (perhaps it was lost among the masses).
Yeah I will do a season thread next week. I guess this isn't the type of show that is popular enough here to get episode threads.
Old 12-17-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad this show is back!