Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-10, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec

http://www.amazon.fr/aventures-extra.../dp/B003Z420XI

I saw this movie in Macau last weekend and really enjoyed it. Any chance the recent French Blu-Ray release has English subtitles?
Old 12-13-10, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

No - just French subs.
Old 12-13-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This will most likely get a UK, Australian, and eventual USA release - it is Luc Besson and every single one of his films have been released on English-subbed Blu-rays somewhere. I just hope that doesn't stop now with this movie!
Old 12-15-10, 06:38 PM
rsk

It was also released in Hong Kong last month, so they might be the first to put out an English subbed BD/DVD release.
Old 12-15-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, the HK release only has a Mandarin track. The original French Track is missing.

It's English subtitled but I want to hear it in it's original language!
Old 12-15-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't remind me of the retarded HK blu-ray! I still can't believe they dubbed it - Asia never does crap like that!
Old 01-17-11, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Don't remind me of the retarded HK blu-ray! I still can't believe they dubbed it - Asia never does crap like that!
There are two version of this movie for cinema release. Under the original French name, you have English subtitles. As Adele: Rise of the Mummy, you have an English-dubbed version. I don't know off hand what has happened on the way to DVD release, but this may help.
Old 01-17-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a Thai DVD with French audio and English subtitles too...I'm gonna wait for a blu-ray version though.
Old 01-18-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hong Kong DVD arrived in Macau this weekend (Region 3). It's from Edko Video LTD. It boasts a French EX and ES track as well as an English track. It comes with English and Chinese subtitles. I stood in the store debating if I should pick it up or wait for a Blu-Ray release. I put it down for now.

http://sensasian.com/product.php/en/V22346-D

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-18-11 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-18-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The Hong Kong DVD arrived in Macau this weekend (Region 3). It's from Edko Video LTD. It boasts a French EX and ES track as well as an English track. It comes with English and Chinese subtitles. I stood in the store debating if I should pick it up or wait for a Blu-Ray release. I put it down for now.

http://sensasian.com/product.php/en/V22346-D
There's a good chance that an English-subtitled blu-ray is coming. And I have a feeling that the Hong Kong or Thai DVDs have awful English subtitles, which is another reason that helps me hold off from buying either DVD.
Old 01-18-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All it will take to get a US Blu-ray release of this film with subtitles is patience... plus a couple of Luc Besson fans doing that work for the benefit of us all. It will happen.
Old 01-18-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
All it will take to get a US Blu-ray release of this film with subtitles is patience... plus a couple of Luc Besson fans doing that work for the benefit of us all. It will happen.
I'm assuming it's gonna come out on UK blu-ray first (as all of his other movies have been released on UK blu-ray).
Old 01-19-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright. I'm holding off for now with my fingers crossed.
Old 02-05-11, 02:35 PM

There's a good chance that an English-subtitled blu-ray is coming. And I have a feeling that the Hong Kong or Thai DVDs have awful English subtitles, which is another reason that helps me hold off from buying either DVD.
I just received this dvd in the mail from DDDhouse.com and I popped it in just to see the video quality etc. The subtitling seems good and grammatically correct and although it has an English (optional) dubbed audio track (sounds british to me) I've heard worse. It does have the original french track as well, so that's how I'll view the film once I have the time. The only extras on the disc are two trailers and some stills. The video quality seems good. If I like the standard version after viewing I might invest in the blu-ray down the road. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Film just opened here in Montreal. I'm seeing it next Tuesday.
Old 03-03-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched the HK DVD the other day. Whimsically entertaining enough. The storytelling needed to be worked on some more to better balance out the characters...aka make sure you keeping watching through the end credits as there is a maybe two-minute scene buried in the middle of the end credits. A flawed effort...didn't care for the acting at times...it felt superficial. Too much narration to open the film. Post-climax scene(s) was overlong. But there were portions that were rather amusing too. A contradictory, nothing really new but still maybe clever and unique. Maybe worth a look as light entertainment for what it does well...an average effort. From a business perspective, I might have snipped the brief bit of nudity and made it a little less violent in order to better appeal to family audiences who seem an ideal target for this type of movie.
Old 03-04-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The family audiences in France may be made of tougher stuff.
Old 03-04-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The French like titties in their family films.
The Americans like guns and explosions in their family films.
Old 04-29-12, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I just watched The Lady (pretty good, despite all the bad reviews) and realized that my Besson collection is not complete because I'm missing Adele.
Now, as far as I understand the English dub is only available on the HK dvd, am I correct? I speak French, so I don't really need the dub, but it's nice to have it if I ever want to watch it with my friends who can't stand subtitles (very few, but my rommate is one of them, unfortunately)

I was doing a search on amazon.com and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Adventures-Adele-Blanc-Sec-France/dp/B004MFT1PO
It says "Region 1" in the description, but the whole deal looks a bit shady, so I think it's safe to assume that it's just a deregioned HK dvd.

I have a multi-region blu-ray player, so please tell me which edition should I get in terms of quality/extras. It would be nice to have an English dub too.

EDIT:
Also, was the movie ever edited down to make it more family friendly in some countries? Are there any running time differences between the releases?
Old 04-30-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
I'm sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I just watched The Lady (pretty good, despite all the bad reviews) and realized that my Besson collection is not complete because I'm missing Adele.
Now, as far as I understand the English dub is only available on the HK dvd, am I correct? I speak French, so I don't really need the dub, but it's nice to have it if I ever want to watch it with my friends who can't stand subtitles (very few, but my rommate is one of them, unfortunately)

I was doing a search on amazon.com and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Adventures-Adele-Blanc-Sec-France/dp/B004MFT1PO
It says "Region 1" in the description, but the whole deal looks a bit shady, so I think it's safe to assume that it's just a deregioned HK dvd.

I have a multi-region blu-ray player, so please tell me which edition should I get in terms of quality/extras. It would be nice to have an English dub too.

EDIT:
Also, was the movie ever edited down to make it more family friendly in some countries? Are there any running time differences between the releases?
Canadian Region A blu-ray: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Extraordina...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

UK Region B blu-ray: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Extraord...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

There is no dubbed version.

There's nothing un-family friendly about this movie anyway, unless someone has something against seeing tits (in a non-sexual way) in a brief bath scene.
Old 05-03-12, 07:52 AM

Canadian Region A blu-ray: http://www.amazon.ca/The-Extraordina...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

UK Region B blu-ray: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Extraord...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

There is no dubbed version.

There's nothing un-family friendly about this movie anyway, unless someone has something against seeing tits (in a non-sexual way) in a brief bath scene.
Thanks, I might look into picking up the Canadian blu release.

Obviously there is a dubbed version, as previously mentioned in the thread.

I don't have a problem with any content that this film presents. I was just asking if any of the releases were cut down because of minor violence/nudity in the film. It happens.
Old 05-03-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the German Blu-ray. It's region locked and not English friendly, French Audio and a dubbed German Track and German subtitles.