Old 11-30-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Anniversary" -- 11/30/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jim and Stephanie plan a romantic evening away from the kids to celebrate their 18th wedding anniversary, but instead find themselves teaming up and using their superpowers to deal with a serial arsonist who is exhibiting some special powers of his own. Meanwhile, Daphne and JJ are left home alone and join forces to win some big money in a poker game with some fellow students.

Episode 9 of 22

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrPEd57j_e0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrPEd57j_e0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Airing at 9pm tonight. This is an experiment to see if the ratings improve from it's 8pm airings.
Old 11-30-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Anniversary" -- 11/30/10

I never got the love heaped upon Autumn Reeser when she was in Human Target. But here she's absolutely loveable. It's a shame the show can be so inconsistent.
Old 11-30-10, 03:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

odd choice considering this is a family show, the switch from 8 to 9
Old 12-01-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they should of had the sister sit in on the poker game and just clean everyone out with her mind reading skills, even if that would have been a predicable outcome..

Being pretty much everything that Chaka kid does just sort of bugs me.. Maybe the fault is with the writers on the show but his character just seems smug and clueless rather then a super brain with good intentions that happen to go wrong sometimes.

I still like most of the cast and I don't hate the show but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't expect a rapid wrap up but IMO they could have just scrambled the viewing order of the last 8 eps and I'm not sure it would have mattered.

It's the same awkward "What's going on?" every ep, from every character.. Even the bad guys seems to fuddle around and not accomplish anything.
Old 12-01-10, 09:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
I still like most of the cast and I don't hate the show but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't expect a rapid wrap up but IMO they could have just scrambled the viewing order of the last 8 eps and I'm not sure it would have mattered.

the problem is that this show will likely ALWAYS be this way. I mean, the only thing they can do is have them become a team of costumed superheros, then it becomes something more like Heroes, which I don't think they want to do.

I think the premise makes for a much better movie (ie: the Incredibles), rather than an ongoing television series, because they will just be treading water week after week, while the viewer grows frustrated waiting for a big superhero payoff that will just never come.
Old 12-01-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is odd that, generally, Chaka's "solution" to a problem is to commit another crime.
Old 12-04-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the better eps so far this season. I really enjoyed the flame dude. It seems the only way for them to go with this show is continuing to introduce new villains each week...really the only thing that makes this show somewhat interesting.
Old 12-07-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved this episode, easily the best of the series. Everything worked for me: the action, plot, humor, FX. They even put Chaka's powers to a believable use. I hope the human torch guy isn't actually dead - he was a good villain.
Old 12-07-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish they would throw a little more money into the special effects in this series. When Torch is flying right at the wife and you see from his POV was it just me or did it look like a cardboard cut out of her picture and they just laid it down flat when the Torch approached her? I mean, the horrible CGI is one thing but cardboard cut outs of the characters now? For Pete's sake...this is like 80's TV bad.
Old 12-08-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I wish they would throw a little more money into the special effects in this series. When Torch is flying right at the wife and you see from his POV was it just me or did it look like a cardboard cut out of her picture and they just laid it down flat when the Torch approached her? I mean, the horrible CGI is one thing but cardboard cut outs of the characters now? For Pete's sake...this is like 80's TV bad.
I think the special effects have been one of the strong points of the show from the beginning, and the human torch scenes were especially well done. To each his own, I guess.
Old 12-08-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just how did the human torch reconstitute his clothes each time though?
Old 12-08-10, 10:22 AM
ATX

i missed the prev couple of episodes.

is that guy able to take other peoples powers or can he just do all these things like telkenesis, teleport, and take memories?
Old 12-08-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Will" / "Joshua" / whomever has his own powers; He doesn't take them from other people. I don't remember seeing teleportation. And he erased memories, which is different from taking them.
Old 12-08-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I think the special effects have been one of the strong points of the show from the beginning, and the human torch scenes were especially well done. To each his own, I guess.
The cardboard cut out look was what did me in, but the CGI dad when he jumps has always looked awful. Worse than the CGI Hulk from the first Hulk movie!