Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 or X-Box version of game?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3 or X-Box version of game?

have a PS3 and a X-Box and bought 5 games this weekend. 3 kinect games and fallout new vegas and force unleashed.

thinking of exchanging new vegas for something else

candidates are
call of duty black ops
call of duty modern combat
red dead redemption

and any difference in the PS3 and x-box versions? my PS3 is used mostly for blu ray and netflix and just bought an x-box 360 with kinect. haven't been into consoles for some years now
Old 11-28-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PS3 or X-Box version of game?

Potentially ugly discussion, and hopefully not trolling.

Differences vary from game to game with the 360 generally running PC ports and Unreal engine games better (Fallout, for instance). As a rule, if there is a difference, usually the 360 version of a game will have better framerate, and generally, the 360 will have a bigger (but not necessarily better) online community.

Bottom line:
- If you have both consoles, continue to buy multiplatform games on 360 if you've been happy thus far.
- If you were going to buy one console, the PS3 is a better all-around machine IMO

That said, the games you list have virtually no differences, so play where you can find a game. The CoD community here on DVD Talk is pretty robust and good natured (guaranteed game every Thursday night). The post says MW2, but they have fully moved on to Black Ops: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...night-ps3.html
Old 11-28-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I prefer the 360 controller so I'd go that route. In terms of game quality, they're all about on par -- though the PS3 has free multiplayer (no Gold Live required) and 3D support for Black Ops.
Old 11-28-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

If I'm reading correctly, your xbox is brand new, yes? If you're going to play online at all, the community is bigger on xbox, but you have to pay a yearly fee to pay online on xbox live. You can play online on PSN for free, and as chess said, there is a very dedicated PS3 CoD contingent right here on this board.

I think the general consensus is that all the games you've listed run a little better graphically on the Xbox, but you probably wouldn't even notice the difference unless you were running them side by side.

RDR does have some exclusive PS3 content, a gang outfit and a gang hideout which are not in the Xbox version
Old 11-28-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I defintely get the 360 version of Red Dead Redemption. Check out this site for the reason.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/05/...on-ps3-vs-360/
Old 11-28-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 360 version also supports 3D in Black Ops, so I gather from a podcast I was listening to. No idea which implementation is better.
Old 11-28-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thx

360 versions it is. I thought the ps3 would have slightly better graphics. And I do like the larger controller better.
Old 11-28-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 360 has an option to load the game to the HD which really helps with load times. I think the PS3 only has this feature for some games.
Old 11-28-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Go with whatever makes you more happy/comfortable. And check with friends who play on a regular basis.
Originally Posted by chess
Bottom line:
- If you have both consoles, continue to buy multiplatform games on 360 if you've been happy thus far.
- If you were going to buy one console, the PS3 is a better all-around machine IMO

That said, the games you list have virtually no differences, so play where you can find a game. The CoD community here on DVD Talk is pretty robust and good natured (guaranteed game every Thursday night). The post says MW2, but they have fully moved on to Black Ops: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...night-ps3.html
Like he said the PS3 COD guys on the sight are very dedicated. We used to play MW2 every thursday and some other nights but like chess said we have all purchased Black Ops for Thursday nights and you can find at least one or more of us who is willing to run online in a group on most other nights.

And I'll repeat what others have said:
PS3 - free online multiplayer - DVDTalk group
360 - Larger online community (even though on any given night there are 400,000+ players online for the PS3 in Black Ops - dunno what the numbers are for 360) Xbox Live - though you have to pay for it is a really easy online interface
Check out my sig for the links to our weekly PS3 game nights.
Old 11-28-10, 09:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This is something I approach on a game-by-game basis. All things being equal I typically go for the 360 version (largely because I like the triggers on the controller better).
Old 11-28-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

I typically buy the 360 version on multi-platform games but it is mainly due to controller preference than anything else. Even if there is extra content on the PS3, I still go with the 360 because I dislike their controller so much even though the controls or graphics are usually the same. The Wii versions on many multi-platform games tend to completely replace normal control schemes and change them to complement their use of motion controls, which usually doesn't work out for the better in my opinion.
Old 11-28-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It just depends in the game really. A couple of games that come to mind are Bayonetta. It was a pretty bad port on ps3 with horrible load times. Sony ended up fixing it by allowing an install since the maker wouldn't do so. Ps3 version of Darksiders had quite a bit more screen tearing if I recall also. Ps3 tends to get more exclusive content on disc for the games though. It's really up to you. I personally love my ps3 and won't be getting a 360 anytime soon.

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I typically buy the 360 version on multi-platform games but it is mainly due to controller preference than anything else. Even if there is extra content on the PS3, I still go with the 360 because I dislike their controller so much even though the controls or graphics are usually the same. The Wii versions on many multi-platform games tend to completely replace normal control schemes and change them to complement their use of motion controls, which usually doesn't work out for the better in my opinion.
Plus the wii versions because they can't handle the graphics tend to be completely different games. See Ghostbusters.

And agreed, this thread may get ugly. There are still tons of people who admonish the other system for absolutely no reason. Both systems have their pluses and minuses, I just prefer ps3 myself honestly because I'm a big movie buff and it is my blu-ray player, and the best one on the market. But that of course has nothing to do with games lol. I always tell anyone with an HDTV to get a ps3 because you get just about the same games for the most part and you will get a very nice blu-ray player out of the box.

Last edited by glassdragon; 11-28-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Nothing new to add here, I would say generally go with whichever controller you find more comfortable.
Old 11-29-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get Black Ops for PS3. Looks like shit. Frame rates are horrible.
Old 11-29-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
Originally Posted by glassdragon
And agreed, this thread may get ugly. There are still tons of people who admonish the other system for absolutely no reason.
There you go.
Old 11-29-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Hopefully this isn't true, as I just ordered the PS3 version and it is shipping to me now.
Old 11-29-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Hopefully this isn't true, as I just ordered the PS3 version and it is shipping to me now.
Sorry, it's very true.

The general rule is that if you can find out which platform a game was developed for get that one rather than the platform it was ported to. Black Ops would be a case of a game developed on the 360 and ported to the PS3, therefore it runs better on the 360. Also, almost any game using the Unreal engine will run better on the 360. There are a few games developed on the PS3 and ported to the 360, but they are few and far inbetween, as it's easier to initially develop for the 360 then port to the PS3 than the other way around. Games that are top-tier PS3 exclusive do tend to look/perform better than multi-platform games.
Old 11-29-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I usually go for the 360 port (even if graphics is slightly inferior, a la Split/Second) because of the following:

-Multiplayer on XBL (all my friends are on there)
-Prefer 360 stock pad over DS3
-Achievements (I know it is silly that I care more about ach vs trophies, but this is not really a big factor compared to the first 2)
Old 11-29-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
There you go.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=275135

It's not console bashing when I own both consoles. The PS3 version is gimped. Those are facts.
Old 11-29-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
There you go.

Why does everyone assume console bashing when there's actually something truthfully negative?
Old 11-29-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goldblum
I own the PS3 version and I've played the 360 version at a family member's house and I could tell very little difference. These things are extremely exaggerated by the gaming community. The television set I play on is a 46-inch LCD HD set, and his was on a 42-inch LED HD set. I don't know if television size makes a difference, maybe if your television is in the 50-60 inch range you might notice some difference, but they looked nearly identical to me.

You'll be fine.
Old 11-29-10, 11:45 AM

To those PS3 users that prefer the Xbox 360 controller (I'm one of them ), you can now get this game controller from POWER A. The reviews on YouTube have been pretty solid and it's available at Best Buy and Amazon.
Old 11-29-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

I wish I would have bought Fallout New Vegas for the 360 instead...
Old 11-29-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I wish I would have bought Fallout New Vegas for the 360 instead...
It's ok. It's not like it will brick your system.
Old 11-29-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Going to have to test with some demos to see for myself

One thing I noticed is that Netflix looks better on the ps3 than the xbox.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.