Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I have an idea for a challenge.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I have an idea for a challenge.

I participated in the Criterion Challenge but since I only own two Criterion DVDs (Walkabout/Chasing Amy) and have no access to any other Criterion DVDs my participation was limited. We were allowed to watch non-Criterion editions of movies that had been released by Criterion. I watched 14 movies I hadn't seen in awhile..

Dr. No (1962) / From Russia With Love (1963) / Goldfinger (1964) / Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977) / Casablanca (1942) / Walkabout (1971) / A Hard Day's Night (1964) / Help! (1965) / Annie Hall (1977) / Crimes And Misdemeanors (1989) / Monterey Pop (1968) / King Kong (1933) / Monty Python’s Life Of Brian (1979) / The Big Chill (1983)

But I never really felt I was part of the challenge.

For those of us without Criterions or access to them, I propose a "Something Weird/Image DVD Challenge" to run as an alternate with the Criterion Challenge.

There are over 150 Something Weird/Image DVDs, most double or triple features. So there's plenty of movies to last a year or two. After that there ought to be enough of Shout Factory's Roger Corman's Cult Classic to last awhile.

Anyway, since trailers are a big part of the SW experience we could keep two lists - How many movies we watch & how many trailers we watch.

This could run in a different month if nobody wants to have two at the same time, there might be a few people interested in both.

Anybody like this idea?
Old 11-24-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: I have an idea for a challenge.

I think that Something Weird/IMage fits too much into the B-Movie Challenge
Old 11-24-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I think that Something Weird/IMage fits too much into the B-Movie Challenge
I seriously love me some SWV, but I agree with this.
Old 11-24-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

There's actually a thread for discussing challenges; I'm sure Trevor will jump in and link to it since he's the one who started it. (I don't remember offhand what it's called and I'm lazy).

I was intimidated by the Criterion Challenge last year and elected not to participate but got into it this year. I, too, only own two Criterion edition DVDs (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Two-Disc Special Edition and The Rock). Between non-Criterion editions I own, the public library and Netflix Watch Instantly, though, I was able to fully participate.

I think in a lot of ways, that Criterion is the most interesting of all the challenges. There's no dispute about eligibility; either a movie has had a Criterion release or it hasn't. The collection is quite diverse, so there's plenty of room for individual taste. And the likelihood that there aren't many Criterion titles in the average person's library adds a bit of a scavenger hunt to it. I rather enjoyed being on the lookout the whole month for different ways of finding eligible content. It's not something that I really have to do with the other challenges.
Old 11-24-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KaBluie.. do you have a public library? Check it out if you haven't already. Ours has about 75% of the Criterions out there.
Old 11-24-10, 10:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Good idea, but I agree as others have said that this would fit perfectly in the B Movie Challenge.

Or the Make Your Own Challenge. Or both.

Also, as MinLShaw mentioned, there are alternate ways to get "into" the Criterion Challenge. You don't need to own a single Criterion disc and could still own dozens of titles that qualify. All the past Criterion LD releases that have never been on DVD (as Criterions) also qualify. There are almost 1000 films that qualify, from all possible genres, and they are available in diverse formats/methods.

Challenge Compendium thread linked in my sig fwiw. I'd link it now but my mouse batteries died and it'd be a pain to link it, and I'm lazier than all of you combined.
Old 11-25-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
KaBluie.. do you have a public library? Check it out if you haven't already. Ours has about 75% of the Criterions out there.
Yes we have a Library. They used to have a small selection of videos. Nothing anyone would really want to see.

The video stores around here rarely get anything interesting, unless you want to rent 100 copies of whatever the latest blockbuster is. I usually don't even want to see it once.

I went through all the different links and these were the only films I had - The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen / The Adventures Of Robin Hood / Annie Hall / The Big Chill / Blade Runner / Carrie / Casablanca / Chasing Amy / Chungking Express / Close Encounters Of The Third Kind / Crash / Crimes And Misdemeanors / Darling / Dr. No / Dr. Strangelove / Easy Rider / From Russia With Love / Ghostbusters / Goldfinger / The Graduate / The Great Escape / Halloween / A Hard Day's Night / Head / Help! / Invasion Of The Body Snatchers / It's A Wonderful Life / King Kong / Monty Python And The Holy Grail / Monty Python’s Life Of Brian / The Princess Bride / The Producers / Pulp Fiction / Ride With The Devil / RoboCop / Shampoo / Silverado / Straw Dogs / Switchblade Sisters / This Is Spinal Tap / Walkabout / The Wizard Of Oz