Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black bars all the way around movie...is this correct?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 09:20 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twice recently we have watched dvds that had black bars all the way around the image.

One movie was To Kill a Mockingbird and the other was Hell in the Pacific.

I don't really understand why a movie would be what appears to be normal widescreen (1.85 to 1) would have black bars all the way around it. My bluray player automatically decides how to display the movie.

When we watched Mockingbird I thought it was strange but it was a rental and so I blew it off. Hell in the Pacific is doing the same thing and when I tried it on my computer it still did it, thus eliminating my blu ray player as the problem.

Is this a normal display of these movies or is something wrong with the way these discs were manufactured?

If this is the way the movie is intended to be viewed I don't really see the point. It just makes the movie small on my 49" widescreen tv. Very annoying!

Linda

P.S. I would post an image but I can't figure out how,except to link to flickr which I can't do because I don't have enough posts yet.
Old 11-14-10, 09:36 AM

Re: Black bars all the way around movie...is this correct?

Sounds like they're non-anamorphic.
Old 11-14-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, they're non-anamorphic. What you're experiencing is letter-boxing.
Old 11-14-10, 09:56 AM

Most widescreen TV sets have a variety of display options. You can experiment with your set and find one that cuts off the top and bottom of the image. That will give you an image that fills the screen (at a lower resolution).
Old 11-14-10, 10:09 AM

What they said. When you rent or buy a widescreen movie on DVD, always look for the terms "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen TVs" on the packaging. I believe the production of non-anamorphic discs was mostly abandoned a few years ago, though, so you should be safe with anything from the last 3-4 years.
Old 11-14-10, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
What they said. When you rent or buy a widescreen movie on DVD, always look for the terms "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen TVs" on the packaging. I believe the production of non-anamorphic discs was mostly abandoned a few years ago, though, so you should be safe with anything from the last 3-4 years.
Many re-releases, especially second tier catalogue titles, just use the existing transfer. That's especially true if you buy a multipack in which they just slap together 3 or 4 movies for $10.
Old 11-14-10, 02:02 PM
Cool New Member

Ok...I understand now. I just recently replaced my dvd player with a blu ray player. When I used the old player I had the ability to use a setting on my tv that made a non anamorphic dvd fill the screen. My new player has to use a different hook up on my tv so that I can use the HDMI cable and now I don't have the ability to change the way the dvd is displayed on my tv. I will double check everything to see if I am overlooking a way to make it fill or expand to fill the tv fully.

Thanks,

Linda
Old 11-14-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by shore_pk
Ok...I understand now. I just recently replaced my dvd player with a blu ray player. When I used the old player I had the ability to use a setting on my tv that made a non anamorphic dvd fill the screen. My new player has to use a different hook up on my tv so that I can use the HDMI cable and now I don't have the ability to change the way the dvd is displayed on my tv. I will double check everything to see if I am overlooking a way to make it fill or expand to fill the tv fully.

Thanks,

Linda
Hook up both HDMI and component from player. When you run across a letterbox dvd just switch tv to the component input.
Old 11-14-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The whole 4:3 vs. 16:9 thing is rather confusing because it depends on what your TV is and what the settings are on both the TV and DVD player.

I've seen people author DVDs as 4:3 anamorphic which will work fine on a 16:9 TV but it will look distorted on a 4:3 TV no matter what your DVD player setting is.

The happy medium is 16:9 anamorphic because it will fill the 16:9 TVs and will drop black bars on the top and bottom on a 4:3 screen when the DVD player is set to 4:3 widescreen.

You really have to study the packaging to avoid fullscreen and non-anamorphic widescreen. Sometimes they just say widescreen and they are indeed anamorphic (Coffy) and sometimes they aren't (Natural Born Killers, Artisan version).
Old 11-16-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Sometimes they just say widescreen and they are indeed anamorphic (Coffy) and sometimes they aren't
My copy of Coffy (from the MGM 'Soul Cinema' line) is NOT anamorphic. Was there another version?
Old 11-16-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
My copy of Coffy (from the MGM 'Soul Cinema' line) is NOT anamorphic. Was there another version?
I stand corrected, it is 4:3 Widescreen. It's my copy of Foxy Brown that is 16:9 anamorphic.
Old 11-17-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Many re-releases, especially second tier catalogue titles, just use the existing transfer. That's especially true if you buy a multipack in which they just slap together 3 or 4 movies for $10.
The one exception is Universal, who will frequently create all-new discs as opposed to putting existing pressings into a package: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/51...llections.html
Old 11-17-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

When I bought my big screen TV back in 2007, I was going for a 27-inch, but some sixth sense at the store made me spend a few bucks more for a 32-inch set and I'm glad I did. Because most of my DVDs look better in "Normal" mode, which means a rectangle in the middle of the screen, bordered by black all around. Which makes my set a 22-inch set for all practical purposes. Which is fine with me. Most "anamorphic" DVDs look distorted or "fuzzy" on my set when set up to fill the screen. Some don't look that way and I value those (mostly studio transfers of older Hollywood movies), but those are few and far between. E.g., VIVA LAS VEGAS from my Elvis box set looks great in full anamorphic mode.