Old 11-08-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Weeds -- "Fran Tarkenton" -- 11/08/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While the rest of the family try to arrange for passports for their escape to Europe, Nancy and Vaughn have an intense heart-to-heart. Meanwhile, Doug puts his freedom on the line when he returns to Agrestic for some important paperwork.

Next week is the season finale.

I know the Weeds threads hardly get any hits, but some of you are still watching, so I won't ignore it.
Old 11-08-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Weeds -- "Fran Tarkenton" -- 11/08/10

In an up and down season, this was an up for me. I liked that Nancy seemed to realize how much she's fucked up. And I loved the use of Daniel Johnston.
Old 11-09-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

This episode was fucked up. It was like watching Nip/Tuck
Old 11-09-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great penultimate episode. Really looking forward to the season finale. I didn't think it was possible, but Weeds is sort of back on track for me. It's still not as good as the first two seasons, but this season is miles ahead of the seasons three, four, and five. Everything's been clicking, characters are growing, and the plot's moving along. I definitely don't feel like I'm watching a train wreck and can't look away anymore (which is exactly how I felt during seasons four and five).

I'm interested in seeing where they're going with the story. It was nice to see Nancy finally realize she is an awful person and has really messed up a lot of people's lives.

I wonder what's going to happen with Silas? He's probably my favourite character, which is funny because I didn't like him at the start of the series. So while on the one hand I'd hate to see him leave, I also think he deserves to make a clean break and start having a normal life. You can tell he wants nothing to do with all of this and was just staying out of familial loyalty, but obviously the paternity results might change that. I understand he is mad, but he also needs to realize that while Judah may not have been his biological father, he did raise him and that he is still Judah's son. I think he'll end up staying, maybe even saving the day in the finale, realizing that blood isn't the only thing that makes you family.

It is funny though that of Nancy's three sons, they all have different fathers.

Really bleak and depressing episode, nice to see everyone sort of facing the consequences of their actions. There were some nice laughs mixed in throughout as well. I got a good laugh out of the Arab guy getting into college and not knowing about it because of Nancy's teacher stealing mail.
Old 11-09-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, great episode.

I loved Doug's line, something like "You are married to Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"!
Old 11-09-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm interested in seeing where they're going with the story. It was nice to see Nancy finally realize she is an awful person and has really messed up a lot of people's lives.
Well she realized it many times in the last few seasons. When Shane got and when Shane killed Pilar especially. In fact there were a few more times she's made reference to it, not to mention how she's a bad mother to her new baby. After everything she's done and after her realizations of how she's fucked up the family, she's continued to make yet another stupid decision that makes things worse. I don't see how this time will be any different - the writers seem to rely on it in order to place them in these situations.

I found it to actually be a decent episode, but despite a few good episodes - it's been pretty aimless as a few of the other seasons. Basically they just drove from place to place running away from Nancy's husband until finally getting caught. It took the whole season for something to move forward.

BTW, did Nancy know Silas wasn't Judas or was she surprised to find out?
Old 11-09-10, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone refresh my memory as to how Doug hurt his arm?
Old 11-10-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
BTW, did Nancy know Silas wasn't Judas or was she surprised to find out?
To me her reaction was more 'Shit he found out' than 'OMG! What!?'
Old 11-10-10, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Super J
Can someone refresh my memory as to how Doug hurt his arm?
A Raccoon bit him in a port-a-potty. I think he hurt his arm off-screen, so they wrote it in. It was very random how it was just there.

Where was the baby this episode? Everyone was out 'doing something', but I never saw the little bastard.

Nancy still looks hot.
Old 11-10-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Better episode than most this season, but not the ones where we see Nancy's goods. Finale looks like it should be a solid ending, apparently with "5 final minutes" we can't miss.
Old 11-11-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
To me her reaction was more 'Shit he found out' than 'OMG! What!?'
Thats what I thought... it seems like that would fit her character more if she knew already