Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone get a Gamer magazine in the mail recently?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I just got one today. I see it's some Best Buy thing and it actually has some decent coupons in it, but I can't see paying $20 for a gaming magazine for a year. I didn't even look at the content, so I don't even know if it is any good.
Old 10-13-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone get a Gamer magazine in the mail recently?

I got the debut issue for free a couple months ago. The content sucks balls but the coupons were decent. Would never pay to subscribe, though.
Old 10-14-10, 07:33 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I got issue 3 also yesterday. Content looked similar in quality to EGM or Gamepro.
Old 10-14-10, 09:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Never saw an issue until #3 arrived yesterday.
Old 10-14-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Still haven't recieved any issues yet.
Old 10-14-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their review of Crackdown 2 in the first issue was amazing. They gave it a 9 or something and the entire review read like a press release. It was obvious they didn't play the game.
Old 10-14-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I got an issue for free too. I think they gave Front Mission Evolved like an 8 or 9, which I thought was odd (though I haven't played it).
Old 10-14-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

sounds like it's less independent than Game Informer is.
Old 10-14-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Got first issue for free, but nothing since. Gamer's Club is a joke.
Old 10-14-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got an issue a week or so ago. Flipped through it for a few minutes while on the can and then promptly tossed it in the recycling. Seemed like all style and no substance, and the coupons didn't interest me except for the one for the new Spiderman game, but that thing will be $20 in six months anyway.
Old 10-14-10, 12:49 PM

I got an email saying I was gonna get a free issue but that was weeks ago. I still havent gotten one.
Old 10-15-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I got one issue for free and haven't gotten one since.

I have noticed the reviews were more positive on all games then most mags. I think the "worst" game got a 7 or so. They're still trying to sell games so they want to tell you "this game sucks a bit but it's still good enough to buy from us."
Old 10-15-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only redeeming thing about this magazine is the fact that it contains coupons. The actual content is straight up garbage from a can.
Old 10-15-10, 02:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

What, you mean a game magazine sold by a store that happens to sell video game has nothing but glowing reviews for all games? I'm shocked.. shocked I say.
Old 10-15-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Gamer's Club is a joke.

$10 in RZ certs back for every $150 is nothing to sneeze at, especially since most stores give you fuckall for every $150 spent. Not to mention all the offers where they give you an extra $10 just for pre-ordering games. Hardly a joke IMO.
Old 10-15-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
The only redeeming thing about this magazine is the fact that it contains coupons. The actual content is straight up garbage from a can.
I didn't think the content was that bad. I still have the issue in the bathroom, and read bits and pieces of it from time to time. It's not the greatest but it's hardly garbage like Stuff or Maxim, or EGM.
Old 10-15-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got issue 3 in the mail on Wednesday. I haven't looked at it yet, although i did check out the coupons. Nothing there that interested me.
Old 10-15-10, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I didn't think the content was that bad. I still have the issue in the bathroom, and read bits and pieces of it from time to time. It's not the greatest but it's hardly garbage like Stuff or Maxim, or EGM.
I just received the Black Ops issue for free in the mail. My EGM subscription ran out a couple years ago, so maybe it's changed since then, but even as bad as it was at that point it was far better than this @Gamer nonsense. Seriously, Bungie/MS could have put the Halo Reach review as the text on the back of the game case and it wouldn't have seemed too out of place. It sure does a nice job of explaining what some of the new features are, but it's only got about a sentence worth of actual review, not preview, writing. The Rock Band preview, even though it's just a preview, isn't worth reading either.

I've placed the mag in the bathroom, but even then I have a hard time picking it up. On the bright side, it's made me think that I'd enjoy having a real game magazine subscription again. What's good these days?
Old 10-16-10, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nathan A
I just received the Black Ops issue for free in the mail. My EGM subscription ran out a couple years ago, so maybe it's changed since then, but even as bad as it was at that point it was far better than this @Gamer nonsense. Seriously, Bungie/MS could have put the Halo Reach review as the text on the back of the game case and it wouldn't have seemed too out of place. It sure does a nice job of explaining what some of the new features are, but it's only got about a sentence worth of actual review, not preview, writing. The Rock Band preview, even though it's just a preview, isn't worth reading either.

I've placed the mag in the bathroom, but even then I have a hard time picking it up. On the bright side, it's made me think that I'd enjoy having a real game magazine subscription again. What's good these days?

It may seem hard to believe, but Gamepro is an excellent mag now. It reminds me of Next Generation, which I sorely miss. I was stuck in the airport one day so picked up an issue and was surprised as all hell. Im not sure when they changed formats but i remember it seemed like it used to be written for 6 year olds with their protip: press start to pause the game hints and their reviews that used some weird cartoon face with crazy hair.

Now its full of interesting articles and editorials and the reviews dont even score the games, which is different than The other mags. The new egm is okay too if a little light on content for seven bucks
Old 10-16-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THe coupons are the exact same ones you can get from printing them online with your gamers zone club. No point in having the issues.
Old 10-17-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
THe coupons are the exact same ones you can get from printing them online with your gamers zone club. No point in having the issues.
Actually, they're the same coupons that you used to be able to print yourself. Since they started the mag, they moved the coupons to it.
Old 10-18-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
It may seem hard to believe, but Gamepro is an excellent mag now. It reminds me of Next Generation, which I sorely miss. I was stuck in the airport one day so picked up an issue and was surprised as all hell. Im not sure when they changed formats but i remember it seemed like it used to be written for 6 year olds with their protip: press start to pause the game hints and their reviews that used some weird cartoon face with crazy hair.

Now its full of interesting articles and editorials and the reviews dont even score the games, which is different than The other mags. The new egm is okay too if a little light on content for seven bucks
Wait, what? Seriously? May have to browse through one in the store.

I get the console/company specific ones because of cheap subs (OXM, Official Playstation mag, Nintendo Power). There are some decent articles and in depth stuff every once in a while, but I usually just go straight for the reviews to see if anything interesting is coming out, and never get around to reading the rest of the magazines. And the OXM discs have basically been thrown in a pile, I can't remember the last time it had something decent.