Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Warriors Theatrical Cut - will this ever be on Blu-ray? (Answer: yes!)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-10-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the superior theatrical cut of The Warriors will ever see the light of day on Blu-ray since the only one curently available is the "Walter Hill Pulls a George Lucas" edition a.k.a. the "Ultimate Director's Cut"?
Old 10-10-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
re: The Warriors Theatrical Cut - will this ever be on Blu-ray? (Answer: yes!)

It should have been included via seemless branching but wasn't. I highly doubt that this release ever happens now.
Old 10-10-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, that was really stupid on Paramount's part to not include both cuts on the Blu-ray/HD-DVD. Wasn't a remake in the works? Is it still in development or was it just a rumor? Maybe if that remake comes out, Paramount will put the theatrical cut on Blu-ray.
Old 10-10-10, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah..that Tony Scott remake. Yeah...I'd like to see The Warriors in it's original form as well. Good luck about that...
Old 10-10-10, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the superior theatrical cut of The Warriors will ever see the light of day on Blu-ray since the only one curently available is the "Walter Hill Pulls a George Lucas" edition a.k.a. the "Ultimate Director's Cut"?
It's too bad really, the BD is a nice upgrade from the old DVD, but damn those inserts/fades do pull me out of the film when they show up. Would be nice if they eventually do make a theatrical cut BD.
Old 10-10-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea, that was really stupid on Paramount's part to not include both cuts on the Blu-ray/HD-DVD. Wasn't a remake in the works? Is it still in development or was it just a rumor? Maybe if that remake comes out, Paramount will put the theatrical cut on Blu-ray.
I heard they were remaking it about 5 years ago. Nothing ever surfaced, guess its not happening (probably better off).
Old 10-10-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I highly doubt we will ever get the original version outside of the old DVD since Walter Hill likes the version he released now and not the original version.
Old 10-12-10, 01:26 AM

I understand why you would want both versions, but the one that's out now is just fine IMO.
Old 10-12-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
I understand why you would want both versions, but the one that's out now is just fine IMO.
It is this kind of thinking that will stop us from ever getting the "Original" movie on blu. It maybe fine but it is not the theatrical cut of the film. That is the movie 99.9% of the world prefers...
Old 10-12-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The theatrical cut is one of the DVDs that I will never get rid of... though I love the picture quality of the blu-ray.
Old 10-12-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The comic-book panel inserts totally ruin the rhythm of the film.
Old 10-12-10, 10:47 AM
Banned

No..it does not work like that. That kind of logic only allows studios to believe through sales that this is ok. It's not. They will never have my money for that BD. NEVER. IF it had the TC on it...Sure. But it doesn't...so it won't.
Old 10-12-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

I would also like to see the theatrical cut remastered, but I doubt that Paramount will ever revisit this title. Strictly from a marketing and sales perspective, the "Ultimate Dictector's Cut" label on the current version will move more copies than a new edition advertised to be the older theatrical cut.

In a best case scenario, if that remake that's been rumored for years ever gets going, Paramount might re-issue a "Super Duper Ultimate Edition" of the original with both cuts. But since the remake project has stagnated, I don't think there's going to be another juicy tie-in opportunity like that to justify the effort.
Old 10-13-10, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
It is this kind of thinking that will stop us from ever getting the "Original" movie on blu. It maybe fine but it is not the theatrical cut of the film. That is the movie 99.9% of the world prefers...
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
No..it does not work like that. That kind of logic only allows studios to believe through sales that this is ok. It's not. They will never have my money for that BD. NEVER. IF it had the TC on it...Sure. But it doesn't...so it won't.
Check this out gentlemen my logic or thinking is not what's going to stop them from bringing out the original version. The simple fact that probably THOUSANDS of people including myself have purchased the BD of this film is the reason. Have you ever thought that people might prefer this version over the one??? Just because it's want you want doesn't mean everyone else does. I wouldn't mind owning it myself. Also, I have no problem with this version. Sorry for sharing my opinion.
Old 10-13-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Warriors "TV Composite" version is floating around the net. It's the theatrical version + all the extra scenes that were used for the TV version. That one is better than the "Ultimate Director's Cut" also IMO.
Old 10-13-10, 01:16 AM
Banned

I'm sure MOST people that bought this didn't know about the inserted stuff. That's the way things go most of the time. Not a lot of people look into the stuff as much as we do.
Old 10-13-10, 01:29 AM

The movie is great either way that's the main thing I'm saying.
Old 10-13-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

The movie is great either way that's the main thing I'm saying.
Unfortunately for me it goes from great in the theatrical cut to just OK in the DC. The comic panels in the DC just kills some of the scene transitions and tension in the movie.
Old 10-13-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the "ultimate" edition is so cheesy and pointless. Walter Hill is insane to think this was upgrading the film. It actually is a big distraction and ruins the pacing. Did he really think it was brilliant to just use a comic freeze frame at the end? It's just appallingly bad.
Old 10-13-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm sure MOST people that bought this didn't know about the inserted stuff. That's the way things go most of the time. Not a lot of people look into the stuff as much as we do.
even if I knew nothing about it it would of stood out like a sore thumb to me first time seeing it
Old 10-13-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by statcat
the "ultimate" edition is so cheesy and pointless. Walter Hill is insane to think this was upgrading the film. It actually is a big distraction and ruins the pacing. Did he really think it was brilliant to just use a comic freeze frame at the end? It's just appallingly bad.
Exactly, the comic panels just look stupid, not to mention they look like something I could have made in 10 minutes in Photoshop. Does anyone here know if there is a HD version of the theatrical cut I could download off iTunes or Amazon? I believe the theatrical cut is on iTunes and I thought I read that if you download a movie off iTunes, you get the SD and HD versions. Is this true?
Old 10-13-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly, the comic panels just look stupid, not to mention they look like something I could have made in 10 minutes in Photoshop. Does anyone here know if there is a HD version of the theatrical cut I could download off iTunes or Amazon? I believe the theatrical cut is on iTunes and I thought I read that if you download a movie off iTunes, you get the SD and HD versions. Is this true?
You get both the SD and HD versions off iTunes if you purchase the specific title in HD to begin with.

The theatrical cut of The Warriors is only available to rent on iTunes in HD... and only if you have an iPad or Apple TV.
Old 10-13-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope it sees the light of day - sometime, somewhere - because it's infinitely better than Hill's DC. He ruined one of the best films of the '70s by adding modern flair to it.
Old 10-13-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad, because the effect would at least be extremely muted in its awfulness if they'd hired someone like Alex Ross to do some nice looking paintings rather than crapping it out on a computer in a half hour.
Old 10-13-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I really really enjoy the DC, even though I hate the comic book panels. I've never seen the theatrical cut so who knows how much my love would grow for this movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.