Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Challenge of the Super-heroes/Super-Heroes Roast (1979) avail 10-19 (Made On Demand)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Challenge of the Super-heroes/Super-Heroes Roast (1979) avail 10-19 (Made On Demand)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Here's a guilty pleasure and it will be nice to finally dump my shitty bootleg. It is truly awful but fun at the same time. Hopefully the Star Wars Holiday Special isn't far behind.

http://www.wbshop.com/Legends-of-the...26&PID=3821628

Legends of the Super-Heroes (mini-series) - Adam West/Burt Ward/Frank Gorshin-Starring 2-Part Special Coming to DVD! **UPDATE: DVD Includes 'Extra Footage'!**

1979 production with Ed McMahon was actually a double spin-off, of the live-action Batman AND the animated Super Friends!
Posted by David Lambert
10/08/2010

After the classic live-action late-'60s Batman series went off the air, stars Adam West and Burt Ward were still highly recognizable as the Dynamic Duo. One appearance they made together as Batman and Robin came in 1979, at the height of the popularity of the Saturday morning cartoon series Super Friends (which began in 1973, and had a dozen-year run in various incarnations...most noticeably the late-'70s version Challenge of the Super Friends). In 1979, Hanna-Barbera capitalized on the fans of both shows with a 2-episode prime time live-action special titled "Legends of the Super-Heroes", which aired on NBC that January.

The first episode was titled "The Challenge", and the second part was titled "The Roast". Besides West and Ward, Frank Gorshin also returned from Batman in his legendary role as The Riddler. Other classic DC Comics heroes and villains also were in the production, including many that were known primarily at the time for their Super Friends appearances. The bad guys on the Legion of Doom included Sinestro (Charlie Callas), Giganta, Solomon Grundy, The Weather Wizard (Jeff Altman), Doctor Sivana (Howard Morris), Aunt Minerva (Ruth Buzzi), and Mordru the Merciless. Joining the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder on the Justice League were Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkman, Black Canary, The Atom (Alfie Wise), The Huntress, Captain Marvel and a new hero: Ghetto Man. Also appearing was William Schallert (The Patty Duke Show) as "Scarlet Cyclone" (a.k.a., "Retired Man"). Hosting the second episode, "The Roast", is none other than Ed McMahon (The Tonight Show, Star Search)! You'll also hear the voice of Narrator Gary Owens (Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in) and briefly see a pre-Night Court Marsha Warfield in an uncredited bit part. June Gable, best known as Joey's agent "Estelle" on Friends, appears as gossip reporter "Rhoda Rooter", and Pat Carroll (Make Room for Daddy, Too Close for Comfort, She's the Sheriff) appears as "Hawkman's mother".

Warner Brothers has announced today at the New York Comic Con that this rarely-seen production will come to DVD exclusively through their WBshop.com online store's manufacture-on-demand (MOD) program. Available starting October 19th, the cost will be $19.95 for a 100-minute disc. You can pre-order Legends of the Super-Heroes right away, and lock in a copy of this DVD for your collection. Be aware, though, that as usual this MOD title will only be available to ship to U.S. destinations (we don't have any of the details, but we are given to understand that this is due to legal reasons, rather than any studio limitations). Package art isn't available yet, but here's the studio's description of the release:

Heroes and villains of DC Comics square off in the two-part, live-action, made-for-TV (with a laugh track!) smackdowns of Legends of the Super Heroes. The Challenge: Batman and Robin (Adam West and Burt Ward of the live-action Batman TV series) lead The Flash, Green Lantern and more JLA members against The Riddler (Frank Gorshin reprising his TV role), Mordru, Weather Wizard and other Doom-dealers. The Legion's ultimate gambit: trick the heroes into downing a diabolical depowering drink! The Roast: Poking fun beats swapping punches when celebrity host Ed McMahon emcees a rowdy rave-up. Who knew DC Super Heroes and villains packed as much verbal wit as physical grit when not locked in mortal combat? These Legends will leave you laughing.

UPDATE (10/9): In a trio of "tweets" (Twitter posts) made yesterday evening, it was revealed by the folks at @WarnerArchive that their upcoming Legends of the Super-Heroes DVD release will include "unseen footage". After noting that the New York Comic Com was the ideal place to "drop the bomb" about their releasing this title, they revealed that it would have the unseen footage, immediately joking about "whether the footage deserves to be seen is another matter" (this production has always been ribbed for it's cheesiness factor), and then went on to say that "we almost literally dug the original 2" video masters out of the salt cave in Kansas, mislabeled and forgotten. + we found cans of outtakes". WOW! So those outtakes apparently became the source of the extra footage included on this DVD. Great to know, so we wanted to pass it along to all of you.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Leg...#ixzz11vS6sj8t
Here's the link for it at Warner Brothers: http://www.wbshop.com/Legends-of-the...26&PID=3821628
Old 10-09-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Challenge of the Super-heroes/Super-Heroes Roast (1979) avail 10-19 (Made On Dema

The intro can be found on youtube here (Can't embed this video)

$20 is kind of steep, but I might just bite on this one
Old 10-10-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Challenge of the Super-heroes/Super-Heroes Roast (1979) avail 10-19 (Made On Dema

Holy shit! This is one of those "I never expected...." titles. I'm definitely picking it up.
Old 10-10-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I prefer this one. You gotta wonder what they were thinking. "Hey, let's dispell the idea that comics are whiter than the Klan by having a black superhero. We can call him Ghetto Man!"
Old 10-10-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had me until MOD.
Awesome release none the less.
Old 10-10-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
You had me until MOD.
Awesome release none the less.
Better than a crummy transfer bootleg.
Old 10-10-10, 02:13 PM

I might actually get this one. I will wait for a sale and pick up a few others I want too though.
Old 10-10-10, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Very true.
Old 10-11-10, 09:07 PM

THIS piece of crap gets a legitimate release (albeit MOD), but we can't get the Adam West SERIES released?!? WHAT THE F**********************CK!!!
Old 10-11-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase

$20 is kind of steep, but I might just bite on this one
That was hilarious. I haven't seen that in years. They should have gotten permission and added the SNL "Death of Superman" skit to this release.

http://hotlinks.blogspot.com/2007/10...-superman.html
Old 10-12-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Comes to $14.99 with code SCIFI25 and free shipping.

I haven't seen these since the original airing when I was a kid. I don't remember being impressed, but it was nice to see West, Ward and Gorshin in costume again.
Old 10-12-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips

I haven't seen these since the original airing when I was a kid. I don't remember being impressed, but it was nice to see West, Ward and Gorshin in costume again.
Thanks for the code. I was going to wait on a sale or a coupon code so this is perfect. I think I paid about that much for my bootleg. The picture on it is barely watchable.
Old 10-13-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you for the code! I applied it to this and Steel for $15 a pop, and free shipping.
Old 10-15-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Packaging pic revealed. Pretty poor if you ask me.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Leg...-Box-Art/14561

Legends of the Super-Heroes (mini-series) - Packaging Pic Revealed, Featuring Adam 'Batman' West and Burt 'Robin' Ward

The Riddler, Captain Marvel, Giganta, Solomon Grundy, Mordru, Hawkman & Black Canary also adorn the front cover
Posted by David Lambert
10/15/2010

A week ago we reported in detail about the Warner Archive's upcoming MOD (manufacture-on-demand) DVD release of Legends of the Super-Heroes, the 2-episode on production from 1979 which starred Adam West, Burt Ward and Frank Gorshin in their Batman roles, plus lots of other cast which included Charlie Callas, Jeff Altman, Howard Morris, Ruth Buzzi, Alfie Wise, William Schallert, Ed McMahon, Gary Owens, June Gable, Pat Carroll and an early appearance by Marsha Warfield. This live-action comedic (and cheesy!) take on Challenge of the Super Friends pitted the Justice League of America against the Legion of Doom in prime-time, and has only rarely been seen since. Now it will be available starting this coming Tuesday, October 19th, exclusively at the WBshop.com online studio store (see button link below). You'll get both episodes, "The Challenge" and "The Roast", including unseen extra footage, for just $19.95! Package art has now arrived for this title, and we've got a nice big look at it for you. West and Ward are obviously featured on the front in their classic costumes as the Caped Crusaders, of course!
Old 10-15-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know, I kind of like the artwork
Old 10-15-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This.

I know this video has made the rounds in comic book conventions. I was tempted to buy a crappy copy some years back. Glad I waited.

And even though a lot of you (including me) may not like WB's pricing on their MOD titles, this is still going to be cheaper than a bootleg at a comic con.
Old 10-16-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you didn't like it as a kid it's going to suck even worse now. At least that's my experience with things I didn't care for as a kid and try to watch now.

That said I took the bait and ordered this with the coupon code you gave. I also got three other MOD discs that I put off buying for a long time waiting for a decent price. The only other MOD title I have purchased so far is Incredible Shrinking Woman and I was happy with the quality of that disc, so I think these will be fine. I don't care if they are on pressed DVDs or burned on demand DVDs...just as long as they are available at a fair price.
Old 10-16-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Packaging pic revealed. Pretty poor if you ask me.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Leg...-Box-Art/14561
Is it just me or has Batman really gained some weight in that photograph?
Old 10-16-10, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650
Well, wearing his cowl over his cape (rather than under it as in the '60s TV show) didn't help any.
Old 10-17-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmw650
Old 10-19-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody recieve a shipping notice yet?
Old 10-19-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouchoFan
THIS piece of crap gets a legitimate release (albeit MOD), but we can't get the Adam West SERIES released?!? WHAT THE F**********************CK!!!
I doubt there was much of rights battle over this fine piece of film.
Old 10-20-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouchoFan
I've always wanted to own that. Especially the Green Hornet episodes. It would have been cool if they let Bruce beat the shit out of Batman and Robin. I know it's wishful thinking on my part but it would have been fun to see.
Old 10-20-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One step closer to the Star Wars Holiday Special getting a release.

Holy crap... this is one I never thought WB would drag out. Especially given how lucrative super hero movies have been for them lately.
Old 10-20-10, 06:23 PM

I've tried using the SCIFI25 coupon, but it doesn't work for me when I try to check out. If I can get it for a discounted price, I'll probably get it, otherwise not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.