Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pop-Up "Ad" at end of Beauty & Beast BD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen this mentioned in the forum (or in any review of the new BD of "Beauty & the Beast"), but is anyone else really annoyed by the pop-up "advertisement" at the end of the film, right as the credits are starting?

It appears at the bottom of the screen and promotes a feature FOUND ON DISC 2! It says "Recommended Feature: Beyond Beauty" and give a rose to select to play the feature. You can close it clicking on the x, or it will go away in about 10 seconds on its own. But I find it REALLY a bad sign when these pop-up promos start appearing in the films themselves.

What's next? Will the movie itself look like network TV shows with promos running wild all over the screen?

I called Disney's video customer service line and the woman took all the info about my complaint, but said she wasn't aware of this.

(By the way, the appears in both the Special and Theatrical versions of the film.)
Old 10-07-10, 05:29 PM

Re: Pop-Up "Ad" at end of Beauty & Beast BD

What type of player do you have? And, have you played it in another type of player to verify it?

I haven't screened the disc yet so can't comment on the veracity of the complaint.
Old 10-07-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is pretty outrageous. I don't even mind forced ads (as long as they're skippable) but when they actually start appearing during the movie that's when I object. Pressing the skip button 10 times is a minor annoyance but a line has been crossed when they interrupt the movie proper.

In this case I also think part of it is the ignorant belief that "the credits are on so the movie is over!". I got into the habit of watching through the credits around the time I got into DVD's and now 11 years later it's part of my movie-watching wind-down. To stop a movie immediately just seems abrupt now, not to mention the fact that the end credits feature additional score and often times have inventive design (admittedly more of a title sequence thing, but some do like "Wall-E"), easter eggs, additional scenes afterwards etc. I have a feeling that the person who made this call doesn't see the credits as a part of the movie itself, nor did they realize that it would be a non-issue to steer you towards the extras after the credits finished.
Old 10-07-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

A pop up promoting the documentary about the movie you just watched, AFTER the movie-mind you, is a problem?

Sorry, but until they start putting actual ads in there, this falls into the 'who cares?' column.
Old 10-07-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
A pop up promoting the documentary about the movie you just watched, AFTER the movie-mind you, is a problem?

Sorry, but until they start putting actual ads in there, this falls into the 'who cares?' column.
I have to agree. It's at the bottom, blends well with the background and lasts for a few seconds then disappears.

Judging by what I see at movie theaters, the vast majority of patrons leave as soon as the credits roll. With this new little feature, you don't have to shut the movie off. Why not check out one of the extras?

Oh, did you see there were no ads for other Disney movies when you put the disc in? It went straight to the movie menu. I think it's a very welcomed trade-off.
Old 10-07-10, 06:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Did that ad run in the closing credits of the theatrical film? If not, it shouldn't be on the BD.

It's that simple.
Old 10-07-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It popped up after I watched the special edition on my PS3 Slim.
Old 10-07-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Did that ad run in the closing credits of the theatrical film? If not, it shouldn't be on the BD.

It's that simple.
Agree 100%

This is the first I've heard of this. Hopefully it's an isolated deal, or at the extreme, just something Disney is going with.
Old 10-07-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

It's that simple.
Using that logic, I take it you won't watch the Extended Version of the movie since that scene was not in the theatrical film.
Old 10-07-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This strikes me as one of those "foot in the door" situations. If no one complains about this one, what will they try next?
Old 10-07-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's that simple.
not sure there would have been much of a method to access those features in the theater

with that said I guess you should be PO'd that there was no warning on the disc before the movie to silence your cell phone
Old 10-07-10, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously...we need to just a make a "Beauty and The Beast BD issues" thread.
Old 10-07-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People are actually defending pop-up advertising on the film?
Old 10-07-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't checked out my disc yet but if this is true that is a giant load of BS. I don't care what anyone else says... it's unnecessary. I love bonus features and don't need to be reminded to watch them. Plus, I actually like movies to be left intact without having some ad playing over the credits. The people who make any given film we enjoy rightfully deserve some respect for their hard work and I find this disrespectful and irritating as even a notion.
Old 10-08-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question OP did you watch it via Fastplay or did you select the main menu. I would say most likely if you inadvertantly watched it via Fastplay then thats why it poped up. I remember a few years ago when fast play was first introduced on dvd , something similar to that poped up at the start of the credits mentioning to be sure to check out the bonus features , now that ive watched the film.

most likely iam guessing you watched the movie with fastplay enabled.
Old 10-08-10, 01:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Using that logic, I take it you won't watch the Extended Version of the movie since that scene was not in the theatrical film.
It was in the IMAX re-relase.
Old 10-08-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
wow its amazing that someone would actually try to compare an annoying little pop up (that the op didnt realize was actually only on cause he watched it with fast play on) to extended version of a movie.

really? i mean seriously.
Old 10-08-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Question OP did you watch it via Fastplay or did you select the main menu. I would say most likely if you inadvertantly watched it via Fastplay then thats why it poped up. I remember a few years ago when fast play was first introduced on dvd , something similar to that poped up at the start of the credits mentioning to be sure to check out the bonus features , now that ive watched the film.

most likely iam guessing you watched the movie with fastplay enabled.
it appears without FastPlay enabled
Old 10-08-10, 04:59 AM

I didn't use fastplay and I saw it, but I think calling it an ad may be a little harsh. When I saw it, I thought it was a neat feature as I took it as just a pop-up menu showing what features were available (that's if they would have had it as a menu with multiple features instead of just the one). There's no video or audio intrerrupting anything. It just pops up at the bottom of the screen, just like the pop-up menu. For most people, that feature would be nice to have easy access to see what special features are available without having to pick up the box (which most people don't carry with them when they sit down to watch the movie) and also see what's on the 2nd disc. For those that want to watch the credits, it doesn't take much to close it. I understand the argument, but I think it's being taken the wrong way. Plus there's probably 1% or less who actually care about watching the credits unless there are cool easter eggs, blooopers, etc. Now what may be a better compromise would be to place an icon in the corner of the screen where you can just press a button to call up the pop-up menu. I know you can get to it by pressing menu, but not all people know about the pop-up menu, and for my player you have to press menu, then arrow down to pop-up menu. It's kind of annoying.

As for not having ads when you pop in the disc, my disc had them. I saw, at least, Bambi and Toy Story 3. I needed to walk into the kitchen, so I just let them roll. My 2-year-old liked watching them anyway, but when Toy Story 3 came up, he thought that's what he was watching.

Last edited by obidawsn; 10-08-10 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

A pop-up ad/reminder/whatever during the movie shouldn't bee there (unless you opted for something like FastPlay. Period.

This is a douchey move from Disney and I'm surprised it's being defended here.
Old 10-08-10, 06:46 AM

I did not watch it with FastPlay. The promo "ad" appears when you select either version of the film from the menu.

Running times for a film are inclusive of credits, and to me, they ARE part of the film. The fact that this pops up IMMEDIATELY as the credits start--as the mood created by the final music and images from the "narrative proper" part of the film is still with you--is what most bothers me.

That and the fact that I agree with Bunkaroo that it's a "foot in the door" toward more ads during films...

P.S. As a first time poster, it kind of amazes me how one of the posters "guesses" that I watched it with FastPlay on (which I didn't), then in their next post twenty minutes later uses his/her "guess" as fact... Apparently I need to respond to questions much more quickly!
Old 10-08-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I can't help but wonder how many are posting without seeing it.

Is it similar to Lost where you pop in disc 2 (after getting the pop-up) and it starts playing the documentary immediately, bypassing all warnings, intros and menus?
Old 10-08-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The pop-up appeared during the end credits during the theatrical version and I did NOT use fastplay.

I thought it was pretty obnoxious myself.
Old 10-08-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that pop up was ridiculous! If it wants to appear at the end of the credits, fine, but not right at the beginning! For what it's worth, I haven't been able to replicate it after X-ing it out...
Old 10-08-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveInCT
I did not watch it with FastPlay. The promo "ad" appears when you select either version of the film from the menu.
Haven't watched my copy yet, but I read on another site that the end credits popup ad doesn't appear if you use Fastplay. Don't know if that's true or not - just reporting...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.