Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gothic 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gothic 4

This is coming out next week and i love RPGs.
Never played 1,2 or 3. Is this game going to be any good?
Old 10-05-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Gothic 4

3 is terrible.
Anything will be an improvement compared to that.

Consider it an action RPG, sorta like Dark Messiah.
The screenshots look gorgeous.
Old 10-05-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1 was good, 2 and 3 were not so good. We'll see how this turns out.
Old 10-06-10, 01:39 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PC demo looks good, but reminds me a lot of Gothic 3...and as said above that is not a good thing...

Xbox demo looks like trash....some say the demo is 2009's version, lets hope. With Two Worlds 2 pushed, might be worth looking at in a month or so after the Fallout and Fable 3 games have run their course, and the game is under 25 bucks....my magic ball tells me we will see some 6-7 scores on this one from metacritic...
Old 10-06-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
PC demo looks good, but reminds me a lot of Gothic 3...and as said above that is not a good thing...

Xbox demo looks like trash....some say the demo is 2009's version, lets hope. With Two Worlds 2 pushed, might be worth looking at in a month or so after the Fallout and Fable 3 games have run their course, and the game is under 25 bucks....my magic ball tells me we will see some 6-7 scores on this one from metacritic...
It looks exactly like Risen or Divinity 2, both generic RPGS that tanked quickly.
Old 10-06-10, 10:04 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
It looks exactly like Risen or Divinity 2, both generic RPGS that tanked quickly.
Sometimes games like this hold their value longer than a big game like Bioshock, but I see this falling quickly in price...
Old 10-08-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

release delayed by 1 week.
Old 10-08-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
release delayed by 1 week.
This is the type of game that the boredom of the summer release schedule might have prompted me to pick up. Instead, they release it 2 days after Kirby's Epic Yarn, the same day as Fallout New Vegas, and one week before Fable III and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II.

Yeah, good luck with that.
Old 10-10-10, 11:14 PM
gamer for life

Old 10-11-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow. very disappointing review.
guess i won't be picking this one up.
Old 10-11-10, 12:42 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by timewaster
guess i won't be picking this one up.
well it was not much of a review, but yeah I think I will pass until it hits the 10 dollar mark...
Old 10-11-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The gameplay/combat isn't as bad as that "preview" (based on the demo) makes it out to be, but it's definitely not as dynamic or engaging as Fable II, Sacred II, Jade Empire or other similar action RPGs. He does have a point about the structure of the demo feeling a bit confined, yet I'd be willing to believe that the introductory portion mostly boxes you in so that you can learn the bits and pieces of the controls, inventory structure, use of magic, etc. The dialogue, however, is very wooden, and the story feels like it might follow suit.
Old 10-11-10, 01:03 PM
gamer for life

yeah I am not sure why I even posted that review, since I played the demo myself on both the pc and xbox, and thought it was ok....
Old 10-11-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by timewaster
It sure was. It sounded like he was reading from a stack of shuffled cue cards and half-heartedly trying to make it sound off-the-cuff. His dialogue was as wooden and poorly-written as that of the game. If he's going to use so many over-the-top analogies and exaggarations he needs to put some energy in it to try to sell the review.

I'd kind of forgotten about this series. I remember playing and enjoying the first one, other than some somewhat major bugs, but I've never gotten around to the others even though I know I've got a copy of Gothic 3 somewhere. I agree about the release data. I'll probably give it a shot eventually, but Fallout: New Vegas and Rock Band 3 will be taking up a bunch of my time in the immediate future.
Old 10-12-10, 04:44 PM
gamer for life

Gothic 4 7.5 from ign on pc version....7.0 on xbox version...
Old 10-26-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm playing the pc version and actually enjoying it.
It is no way as bad as that reviewer makes it sound.

The plot/chars are OK.
The skill customization are somewhat limited.
what i like is the combat and the graphics are very nice.
Old 12-29-10, 02:24 AM
gamer for life

I picked this up on the 360 finally...

It is not a great looking game or anything, but doing a side by side...the demo is from 2009 or something, because the full version looks WAY better...

The frame rate dips...and it still has some weird stuff in the background with AA, but it is actually looks better than other B level RPG games like Divinity 2 or Risen...

To early to say if I like it or not...but so far so good..
Old 01-05-11, 06:54 AM
gamer for life

Finished it...I would say skip it unless you are hard up for a RPG game.....

The graphics...while better at first than the demo, they fall apart later in the game. It almost seems like they got lazy and stopped trying toward the end...it was a mess...

Combat....boring. You have three paths to take...Sword, bow or magic....though you could spend points in all of them...spread it out..but that would be a mistake...

Magic...you run out of mana quick. My fire path was 60 percent full....and every time I used it, I could only get off three attacks before I ran out of mana...it took at least 4-5 blast to kill even one easy creatures....to make it worst, every time you leveled up fire, it made the amount of mana needed to cast the same spell go up. You unlock a charge attack that is suppose to be devastating, but only does 1/10th the damage of the low level fire spell (why would I use that?)...The only way to make magic even a little bit worth it is to ONLY invest in all three types of magic, fire/ice/elec...because then you would at least have a fast regeneration rate on your mana..

Bow...not bad, but you have to spend a few seconds drawing your weapon...and most enemies charge you...not so bad except every hit on you messes up the charge on your bow...making you start over...on a side note, when you are fighting guys with bows, your attacks DO NOT mess up their charge

Sword...what I ended up using the most...the system is ok at times, but enemies block your attacks...while doing so you have to charge up an attack to break it...by the time you charge up your attack they are no longer blocking, and your charge attack does less damage than 2 normal attacks, and you can get in 5 normal attacks in the time it takes to charge...so instead of even using the charge attack, you just stand there while they block, dick in hand...waiting for them to drop their shield so you can attack again...it really sucked...

Enemies...seemed like there are 10 different kinds...that is it...now there are a few different colors to change it up, but it was really disappointing fighting the same skeleton 20 hours in...

Story...confusing at times, but fun in a cheese sort of way. The game makers had fun with this, and parts had me smiling...

Overall one of the weakest games of 2010..second only to Hydrophobia on that list. If you just love RPG games, it is worth 10 bucks at most...
Old 07-06-16, 12:54 PM
gamer for life

I was harsh on this..

I picked it up again on the ps4..it is on sale right now..(I think I actually bought it a while back when it was 2.99)

Needless to say I am actually enjoying the game more than I did on the 360..I think a lot of that is playing on Gothic difficulty and sticking with lightning which is so much better than fire...