Old 10-04-10, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Event -- "Protect Them From The Truth" -- 10/04/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
President Martinez's (Blair Underwood) administration unveils a tough new strategy to force Sophia (Laura Innes) to reveal the detainees' plan, putting into play a new detainee, Maya (guest star Clea DuVall). Elsewhere, we learn that Vicky (Taylor Cole) and Carter (guest star D. B. Sweeney) are in possession of a crucial hostage. FBI Agent Collier's (guest star Heather McComb) suspicion grows deeper.

Looking forward to it. And another comment that says this show is a rip-off of Lost because a plane crashed.
Old 10-04-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The Event -- "Protect Them From The Truth" -- 10/04/10

I'm looking forward to it! The more I think about this show during the week, the more I realize how much I'm enjoying it.

Kinda funny how Jason Ritter is the main guy in each promo shot even though on the show he's really the most clueless about what's going on LOL. I guess he's kinda like Jack in LOST, which this show is a rip-off of. Last episode there was even a plane crash.
Old 10-04-10, 09:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Same here. Out of all the new dramas, I find myself thinking about this one the most (not saying much, but there you have it. ).
Old 10-04-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

This is getting pretty good. The flashbacks were minimal and relevant to the story (I really don't care how the kid and his GF met) and we're getting into the meat of the story. Nice to see we're getting past the kid's "why won't anyone believe me" stage. He's pretty annoying when he gets whiny.
Old 10-04-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I get way more of 24 vibe from this show over LOST, because damn, shit is happening.

Even though I saw her in the credits, I barely recognized Clea Duvall

The FBI office shootout was nuts. Did not expect that to happen. And another very intriguing ending. I'll definitely be back next week!
Old 10-04-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I get way more of 24 vibe from this show over LOST, because damn, shit is happening.
Yeah, this had a definite 24 vibe. This episode really moved.

When the RV crashed into the car, did any Breaking Bad fans think Walt and Jesse's meth lab had gone out of control?
Old 10-04-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

This show is crazy fun.
Old 10-05-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Really good episode. Lots of crazy shit happened from Vicky killing the cop, the wild shootout in the Az FBI office and Clea Duvall's character killing the blabber mouth.

It's good to see that Sean now has an ally to help him searching for Layla. Once I saw the FBI agent make the phone call to confirm the pickup of Sean, I knew the shit was going to hit the fan and they were all DB Sweeney's boys.

The ending was a surprise too with all the passengers waking up.
Old 10-05-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

I know the flashbacks annoyed the crap out of alot of posters in the Pilot, who probably aren't posting here anymore , but I think they have done a good job using them since episode 2.
Old 10-05-10, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Probably the best episode so far, which is a good thing since it was going to be my last one.

I'll stick around a little longer, but to be honest, I forget about this show once it's over... no where near my level of interest of LOST (Which I thought about all week)
Old 10-05-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Good episode, but I think being able to stroll into a FBI office with automatic weapons was a bit of a stretch.
Old 10-05-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great episode and didn't expect the ending at all (again). Though it confirms the theory that
Spoiler:
the "aliens" are really time travelers and simply changed history again, thus bringing those people back to life. That also explains why they can't say anything--because it would mess up history/the future.
Old 10-05-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

About a quarter of a way into the episode, I was thinking that I might drop the show. I was getting bored. By the end, I was hooked.

The alien storyline didn't grab my attention, but with the twist at the end, I am now enjoying it.

I also get the 24 vibe, especially the night scenes at the shipping container yard.

And that dialogue referencing the cruise part just gets more "confusing" (now they are aware he actually was on the ship). Do they or do they not believe him? haha
Old 10-05-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a helter-skelter desperate energy to this show, which is welcomed in filling the void left by "24".
Old 10-05-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm starting to like this show, plus Taylor Cole is one hot babe.
Old 10-05-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Ratings slipped again last night to 7.46m, I haven't been keeping up with the show (was turned off by the pilot), but hopefully it isn't too little too late for the sake of those that are starting to like it. Of course, this is NBC, they're the most leniant with low ratings next to Fox.
Old 10-05-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Ratings slipped again last night to 7.46m, I haven't been keeping up with the show (was turned off by the pilot), but hopefully it isn't too little too late for the sake of those that are starting to like it. Of course, this is NBC, they're the most leniant with low ratings next to Fox.
Eeps, I don't like hearing that. It's become my favorite new show. Part of the problem is the brutal Monday night. I still think Lonestar might have made it had it not been sandwiched in there. Sigh.
Old 10-05-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Great episode and didn't expect the ending at all (again). Though it confirms the theory that
Spoiler:
the "aliens" are really time travelers and simply changed history again, thus bringing those people back to life. That also explains why they can't say anything--because it would mess up history/the future.
I'm not sure how you came up with this "confirmation"; AFAIK, nothing of the kind has been confirmed (although I agree they're probably time travellers from the future). And if they had changed the past in order to alter history, the passengers wouldn't just wake-up like that. (BTW, speculation does not need to be spoilered.)

IMO, the passengers were never really dead -- they were probably injected with some neurotoxin (from the future?) that simulates death. The question is, why?

There seem to be four groups at work here:

- President & Co who are trying to control the situation
- The captured 97 (now 96) who have some sort of agenda -- they obviously want something from us
- Those who avoided capture and "teleported" the airplane to save the president (and for some reason faked passengers' deaths)
- Rogue intelligence agency who seem to want to kill everything that moves and who are behind the president's assassination attempt

Hope this show survives these poor ratings because this is beginning to get interesting.

[Edit] Forgot to add -- I love how this show provides answers! I was thinking, why in hell are they going to the trouble of keeping the girlfriend alive -- it just doesn't make any sense. And just as I was thinking this, her captor gets a phone call explaining that the boyfriend had escaped and they might need her for leverage. Wow, answers! Such a refreshing change after 6 years of pounding my head against cement trying to eke the smallest iota of information out of Lost.

Last edited by Flave; 10-05-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm starting to wonder if that security advisor guy to the prez isn't behind some of this stuff. He's notified that whats-his-face is in FBI custody and the next thing you know bad guys show up at FBI headquarters. He really, really, really didn't want the 97 released. Could he have arranged the hijacking? Now the govt is caught in a lie about the crash because of a loose end running around.
Old 10-05-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

It sucks that serial dramas like this just can't hold on to viewers.

I think NBC has to stick with it. This is their rebuilding year after last season's disaster with Leno and if they want to keep their viewers, they have to stick with this show especially considering how much money they invested in this.
Old 10-05-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm starting to wonder if that security advisor guy to the prez isn't behind some of this stuff. He's notified that whats-his-face is in FBI custody and the next thing you know bad guys show up at FBI headquarters. He really, really, really didn't want the 97 released. Could he have arranged the hijacking? Now the govt is caught in a lie about the crash because of a loose end running around.
The writing has certainly suggested that there's something very shady about the CIA director.
Old 10-05-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the ep but there were things that bugged me about it. Was the RV driver drunk? It just seems like a movie/TV show cliche that there will be some sort of obstacle clearly sitting in the middle of the road, and some dumbass will always end up hitting it at full speed.

Also, for a rogue intelligence agency trying to cover everything up, it seems pretty sloppy to start a massive shooting at an FBI office. Wonder how they will explain that? I also get the impression that the CIA director is behind whoever that group is.

Curious to find out why Sean and his GF are so important to whoever the bad guys are.
Old 10-05-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bdshort
Curious to find out why Sean and his GF are so important to whoever the bad guys are.
Well, Sean was the only person who (they thought) survived the flight and knew that they got to the pilot.
Old 10-05-10, 01:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It sucks that serial dramas like this just can't hold on to viewers.
I blame Lost. People were either burnt out by the concept, or pissed off by the ending. People also know that networks pull shows off quickly these days, so why get invested in a serial drama if they will leave you hanging without answers. I know that's why I stayed away.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think NBC has to stick with it. This is their rebuilding year after last season's disaster with Leno and if they want to keep their viewers, they have to stick with this show especially considering how much money they invested in this.
keep what viewers? that's the problem, there aren't any for this show.
Old 10-05-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
keep what viewers? that's the problem, there aren't any for this show.
The viewers that tuned in, didn't like what they saw and dropped out. The Pilot drew an audience of 11.2m, the second episode drew just under 9 million, third episode had 7.5m viewers.

I don't blame Lost simply because it had as much an uphill battle as any other show, it had to sustain interest or it too would have been canceled, lucky for it, its first season was fantastic. Lost drew 18m on its first episode, and peaked at around 21m viewers near the end of the season. Unlike The Event, most of Lost's first season felt grounded in reality despite oddities occuring around them, The Event blew its Sci-fi load before the end of the first episode.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-05-10 at 01:54 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.