Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official WB Digibook-->Regular Packaging Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official WB Digibook-->Regular Packaging Thread

Old 09-18-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Official WB Digibook--> Regular Packaging Thread

For those of us who dislike Digibooks, I thought it might be useful to compile a list of WB Digibooks that have received or will receive non-Digibook packaging. I believe this is what has been re-released so far, please feel free to correct me or post announcements on future re-releases, and I will update the original post as necessary.

Se7en (Walmart exclusive)
Amadeus (no soundtrack sampler or digital copy) - 9/15/09
The Matrix - 1/12/10
Bonnie and Clyde - 2/2/10
Batman - 5/4/10
Clash of the Titans - 5/25/10
Poltergeist - 9/7/10
JFK
Falling Down - 11/16/10
The Shawshank Redemption - 11/16/10
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - 11/16/10
How the West Was Won (without Smilebox version) - 1/4/11
The Outlaw Josey Wales (Wal-mart exclusive) - 6/7/11
The Exorcist (without original theatrical cut) - 10/11/11

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-27-11 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-18-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official WB Digibook-->Regular Packaging Thread

The Matrix is available in a regular case.
Old 09-18-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The Matrix is available in a regular case.
Also, Natural Born Killers director's cut was released in a regular case (the digibook contains the theatrical cut).

And Dirty Harry is available as part of a double feature in a regular case.

This thread makes me sad though since I think digibooks are the best form of packaging for a Blu-Ray.
Old 09-18-10, 04:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Makes me VERY happy studios give the option of regular cases.

EDIT: There's also 300, but since the digibook came out AFTER as the SE, I suppose it doesn't really fall into the same category. But it is one with both digipak and standard case available.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-18-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, updated original post.
Old 09-18-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
EDIT: There's also 300, but since the digibook came out AFTER as the SE, I suppose it doesn't really fall into the same category. But it is one with both digipak and standard case available.
300 is like NBK, though, where the digibook version and the regular case version are completely different discs, more akin to a "double-dip"....

I think his thread is only supposed to be ones where the exact same disc is originally released in a digibook, and then re-released later on in a standard case....
Old 09-18-10, 05:29 PM
Banned

I love digibooks. They just look so much better than the plain blu-ray cases.
Old 09-18-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I think his thread is only supposed to be ones where the exact same disc is originally released in a digibook, and then re-released later on in a standard case....
Correct, I'm just looking for releases that are identical other than packaging.
Old 09-18-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 09-18-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great idea for a thread, thanks for posting. Hope to see it kept up as it will be a helpful resource.

I'm also glad WB is making more Digibook releases available in standard packaging, with standard MSRP. I'm indifferent to Digibooks themselves, but I take issue with paying a premium for what amounts to a picture book - with no day & date alternative.
Old 09-19-10, 10:51 PM

I checked the back covers of the Poltergeist Digibook and the regular release and they are slightly different. The regular edition has fewer subtitle tracks. Does this make any difference to the PQ or AQ?
Old 09-20-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RD1973
I checked the back covers of the Poltergeist Digibook and the regular release and they are slightly different. The regular edition has fewer subtitle tracks. Does this make any difference to the PQ or AQ?
I'd be willing to bet the farm that they are the exact same discs, but for whatever reason WB just didn't list all the subtitle tracks on the back cover.....

Honestly, what is the more believable scenario: That they made a typo/omission on the packaging, or they went through the trouble to re-author and press new discs just to remove a few subtitle tracks?
Old 09-20-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
what's that "John Rambo" blu ray????
German(?) DigiBook. They released an entire series of them. I see "The Dark Knight," "Batman Begins," and "Blade Runner" also in those pictures, and I think a couple others.
Old 09-20-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented Falling Down and it looks the best I've ever seen it, so I can't wait until the regular case is released in November.

Been picking up a few UK versions just to avoid the crappy "books", but I wish they'd just release them concurrently here in the US to please everyone.
Old 10-20-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How the West Was Won sans Smilebox on 1/4/11.
Old 10-20-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny how WB now seems like they're trying to disincentivize people from buying non-digibook versions by excluding key components of the full release (e.g. with The Exorcist and How the West Was Won).
Old 10-20-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

If the non-digibook comes in with a lower list price than the book, then I think one can understand why they would make some features exclusive to the book version. Not really different from say the two different Iron Man 2 releases. Some people won't care to have fancy packaging or extra features, so they go for the cheaper one.

EDIT: Just happened to notice the forthcoming standard release of Falling Down is $10 cheaper in list price. Now Amazon is selling the book at a deep discount off the 34.99 list so it's only going to be $2 more than the standard. I don't know if the standard drops features. But if that book price goes up at Amazon after the standard comes out, it's pretty much a guarantee only collectors will be shelling out for the book at the higher price.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 10-20-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're not just excluding extra features though - they're removing entire versions of the film. The biggest draw to the two respective releases are being able to watch them as they were originally seen in theaters (the theatrical cut of The Exorcist and the Cinerama version of How the West Was Won), yet these are what WB is excising from the standard releases.
Old 10-20-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well HTWWW was a 2-disc set with one version per disc, so if the standard has to be a single disc, nothing to do there.

I don't see why WB would leave the theatrical off the standard Exorcist though - that means they have to press a different disc whereas with HTWWW they likely just use the same disc from the 2-disc book.

They may just know their customer base that well - those who love the books are likely the ones who will care more about having both versions. The casual buyer probably won't care if they get both versions. So they extract more money from the collector.
Old 10-20-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't see why WB would leave the theatrical off the standard Exorcist though - that means they have to press a different disc whereas with HTWWW they likely just use the same disc from the 2-disc book.
No, the theatrical cut of The Exorcist is on a separate disc from the extended version....they are not on the same disc/seemlessly branched (as is the case with the recently released Apocalypse Now/Redux release).....

The regular case Walmart exclusive edition is just what disc 1 of the 2-disc digibook regular release is....they did not press a different disc...
Old 10-20-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WMAangel
No, the theatrical cut of The Exorcist is on a separate disc from the extended version....they are not on the same disc/seemlessly branched (as is the case with the recently released Apocalypse Now/Redux release).....

The regular case Walmart exclusive edition is just what disc 1 of the 2-disc digibook regular release is....they did not press a different disc...
OK thanks for the correction - I have the digibook and already forgot! That makes even more sense then that one is being left out for that standard version too.

So the question is, are there any non-digibook releases which dropped content other than these two?
Old 10-24-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Like last year, Warner's will have Academy Award-themed slipcovers on some repacked releases on January 4th (The Blind Side, Gone With The Wind, L.A. Confidential, The Wizard of Oz).

But three previous Digibook-only releases -- the already mentioned How The West Was Won, along with JFK and The Matrix -- will now be available in BD keepcases as part of this promotion.
Old 10-24-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Adboy151
But three previous Digibook-only releases -- the already mentioned How The West Was Won, along with JFK and The Matrix -- will now be available in BD keepcases as part of this promotion.
The Matrix has already been re-released in a regular case, back on January 12th, 2010....
Old 12-20-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Poltergeist I finally received from the DD BOGO sale that I thought would be a digibook turned out to be the non-digibook packaging. If anyone in this thread wants to trade for it still sealed, I would accept an open/mint copy.
Old 01-13-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got JFK in a regular BD case at Best Buy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.