Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
6.76%
31.08%
45.95%
12.16%
2.70%
1.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
I would rather see Costner's version of Prince of Thieves again.
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 10:00 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Movie:
"The Town" (Starring: Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, Blake Lively, Chris Cooper, Pete Postlethwaite)

Release Date:
9/17/2010

Rating:
R (for strong violence, thick Bostonian accents, career resurrections, and exclamations of "The Town is nearly as ludicrous as [Affleck's] debut Gone Baby Gone -- another poison pen letter to Beantown" throughout.)

Running Time:
125min. (2h. 05m.)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
As he plans his next job, a longtime thief tries to balance his feelings for a bank manager connected to one of his earlier heists, as well as the FBI agent looking to bring him and his crew down.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.2 (8,371 votes as of 10/02/10)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:157 Rotten:09 (95% as of 10/02/10)

Metacritic:
74 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 10/02/10)

Trailer:
<object width="450" height="237"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/24502"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/24502" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="237" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-02-10 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 10:03 AM

Re: The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

mods,
can we merge with existing so we can have poll?

thanks.
Old 09-17-10, 03:16 PM

just saw this. excellent!!! nothing truly original (kinda thought of it like Heat's baby brother), but definitely distinguishes itself in its own right.

Affleck did such an amazing job in front and behind the camera. more then adept in every way and seems to have really found a calling with his first two directorial efforts.

Rebecca Hall was incredible as well and thought she was the standout, with Renner getting honorable mention.

also loved Hall's
Spoiler:
coded "sunny day" warning to Affleck eventhough that was too eerily similar to Judd's gesture to Val Kilmer in Heat. but it was warm and unexpected because i didn't think she still cared.

slow, tense build in beginning and then once it got going, after 20-25 minutes, really gets the heart racing and i was just so intune with the story and characters and had no idea how it would end, which i love in a movie- for it to be unpredictable (not having read source of course) right to the last frame.

just all around excellent story telling with drama and action scenes done right.

truly, surprised at how much we liked it and perfect beginning of Fall drama that if into it will knock you for a nice emotional wallop.

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-17-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
just saw this. excellent!!! nothing truly original (kinda thought of it like Heat's baby brother), but definitely distinguishes itself in its own right.

Affleck did such an amazing job in front and behind the camera. more then adept in every way and seems to have really found a calling with his first two directorial efforts.

Rebecca Hall was incredible as well and thought she was the standout, with Renner getting honorable mention.

also loved Hall's
Spoiler:
coded "sunny day" warning to Affleck eventhough that was too eerily similar to Judd's gesture to Val Kilmer in Heat. but it was warm and unexpected because i didn't think she still cared.
I saw it tonight with my wife and we both liked it alot.

Oh and I also thought
Spoiler:
the sunny day scene was an homage to Heat. Although Val Kilmer wasn't aware of the cops til she signaled him. Ben Affleck saw them, and when Hall said the code word, he realized she loved him and was only doing it because she was forced.
Old 09-18-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked it a lot. Very good all around. Good story, good acting, good direction and great action. One issue I have with the movie is:

Spoiler:
I just don't understand how Claire can be so in love with the guy that held her hostage.

Although in the grand scheme of things it didn't bother me enough to turn me off from this great movie.
Old 09-18-10, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I liked it a lot. Very good all around. Good story, good acting, good direction and great action. One issue I have with the movie is:

Spoiler:
I just don't understand how Claire can be so in love with the guy that held her hostage.
Spoiler:
well, she fell in love with him before she knew and perhaps still traumatized wasn't totally in right mind in first place. we saw she was completely devastated when she found out. she knew he was the one calming her down in the bank so that might have played a factor. but i guess in the end she knew they would probably never be together and she just realized she loved the man she originally met.
Old 09-18-10, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I saw it tonight with my wife and we both liked it alot.

Oh and I also thought
Spoiler:
the sunny day scene was an homage to Heat. Although Val Kilmer wasn't aware of the cops til she signaled him. Ben Affleck saw them, and when Hall said the code word, he realized she loved him and was only doing it because she was forced.
if that scene was an homage, than i think the whole movie should be considered an homage in retrospect considering all the similar scenes.
Spoiler:
bank robber wants to pull one last job and then is out, but falls in love which makes things even more complicated, final shoot out scene- especially Renner's one last stand and Tom Sizemore's scene, girlfriend warning at end, lead character tying up loose ends, etc...

again, similar, but i thought it stood on own.
Old 09-18-10, 12:45 PM

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but with the cop at the construction site after the armored car heist...
Spoiler:
why did he look away and didn't do anything (after they escaped the feds and BPD) all got out of car in their masks, with guns? because he didn't want that trouble and probably would have been killed...
Old 09-18-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben Affleck is a damn good director, Hit his 2nd home run with his 2nd film. Very impressed, I agree that it reminded me of Heat which is a great thing considering that's my all time favorite film.
Old 09-18-10, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damnit, Scott1598...multiquote, man. lol...
Old 09-18-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really liked this one a lot... Affleck with another winner.
Old 09-18-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Definitely one of the best movies of the year, but I thought the whole "falling for the victim" plot point was too cliche for my tastes.

Also
Spoiler:
what was up with that Shawshank ending? I half expected to hear Morgan Freeman's voice when she pulled the note out of the bag filled with money.
Old 09-18-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

(Moved from other thread for "The Town")

Ben Affleck returns as director/actor/co-screenwriter in a film about Boston bankrobbers with Doug (Affeck) and Jim (Jeremy Renner) being life-long friends. Jon Hamm is the FBI agent on the case, and he's bound and determined to catch the bankrobbers. Claire (Rebecca Hall) is a bank manager of one of the banks the gang robs, and in a split-moment decision, she is used as a hostage on the getaway, and Doug takes an interest in her, which in turns complicates his life.

Overall, good action scenes, gun play, car chases with the action being easy to follow and not requiring much dramamine to endure some camera shakiness. The story could have been a little more layered, and some of the character build-up is a little slow, and other characters are a little short-changed in backstory which would have ratcheted up dramatic tension among the characters. But overall, a solid film.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 09-18-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Also
Spoiler:
what was up with that Shawshank ending? I half expected to hear Morgan Freeman's voice when she pulled the note out of the bag filled with money.
In my review, I would have referred to the last two shots as
Spoiler:
"deleted from an alternate ending to The Shawshank Redemption" or made a comment about how all criminals and cops apparently want to build boats in Florida, a desire I don't understand,
but I figured that would be a spoiler, in a sense, so I left it out.
Old 09-19-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
In my review, I would have referred to the last two shots as
Spoiler:
"deleted from an alternate ending to The Shawshank Redemption" or made a comment about how all criminals and cops apparently want to build boats in Florida, a desire I don't understand,
but I figured that would be a spoiler, in a sense, so I left it out.
Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure Andy was in Mexico.

4 1/2 stars for me. Really solid movie. Though I did have issues with it, I don't want to use the word "cliche" but it was formulaic I suppose. The biggest surprise to me was Jon Hamm. It was by far the best non-Don Draper role he has done. Renner was great, though I'm afraid he might end up typecast.

Damn good movie.
Old 09-19-10, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

better than Lex Luthor?

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_f26c4046b0"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=f26c4046b0" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=f26c4046b0" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_f26c4046b0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 09-19-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:
well, she fell in love with him before she knew and perhaps still traumatized wasn't totally in right mind in first place. we saw she was completely devastated when she found out. she knew he was the one calming her down in the bank so that might have played a factor. but i guess in the end she knew they would probably never be together and she just realized she loved the man she originally met.
Spoiler:
Did she know that he was the one calming her down? I know that he admitted to doing it but I don't think he ever explained which one of the robbers he was. That was just for the audience to think that Dougie wasn't that bad of a guy.

But the reason this is just a minor gripe is because she didn't leave with him and because she did teeter between telling the cops everything and not telling them. If she was just flat out on his side it would have been a major gripe that probably would have dropped this movie down to 3 stars for me.

But call me crazy, if someone committed a major crime and in the process caused the most traumatic experience of my life... I would want that person in jail. I think the film would have been just as great if it ended with cop cars pulling up to Dougie's house in Florida.

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but with the cop at the construction site after the armored car heist...
Spoiler:
why did he look away and didn't do anything (after they escaped the feds and BPD) all got out of car in their masks, with guns? because he didn't want that trouble and probably would have been killed...
I thought that was the reason why as well.
Old 09-19-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't get the praise for Renner. There's probably something in there worth considering that I would say I hate "that guy" in real life, but as far as it goes I basically just wanted someone to punch him in the face.

It's also a fairly common role in these kinds of movies, but it only works when that character is placed in situations where the viewer actually thinks stupid paranoia might screw something up (Ziggy in Season 2 of "The Wire" comes to mind). It's hard to believe that James would ever do anything serious to Doug, so all the character's posturing comes off as silly.
Old 09-19-10, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Spoiler:
Did she know that he was the one calming her down? I know that he admitted to doing it but I don't think he ever explained which one of the robbers he was. That was just for the audience to think that Dougie wasn't that bad of a guy.
Jon Hamm told her.
Old 09-19-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My feelings on the movie can be summed up with one word. "Meh". I'm not surprised people are liking it. Its well put together Hollywood-cheeze. Especially the ending. Its a decent American crime movie, but it just felt like it was being played nice & safe, trying to give the audience stuff that feels nice & familiar so they can say "gee, that reminded me of Heat, & I liked Heat, so this must be good". The characters felt like they were all stereotypes from other films, the story felt it was trying to be simple because the movie dare not stray off the beaten path and actually try to be unique in any way. There were moments that made me squirm they were so corny & the characters throughout were underwritten. If you like a good standard Hollywood crime film, this is the movie for you. But me, I like my crime gritty & dirty, give me Friends of Eddie Coyle any day over a film like this.
Old 09-19-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
My feelings on the movie can be summed up with one word. "Meh". I'm not surprised people are liking it. Its well put together Hollywood-cheeze. Especially the ending. Its a decent American crime movie, but it just felt like it was being played nice & safe, trying to give the audience stuff that feels nice & familiar so they can say "gee, that reminded me of Heat, & I liked Heat, so this must be good". The characters felt like they were all stereotypes from other films, the story felt it was trying to be simple because the movie dare not stray off the beaten path and actually try to be unique in any way. There were moments that made me squirm they were so corny & the characters throughout were underwritten. If you like a good standard Hollywood crime film, this is the movie for you. But me, I like my crime gritty & dirty, give me Friends of Eddie Coyle any day over a film like this.
Thanks for the review. I figured this would be more pulpy enjoyment than quality film. Sounds like a good Friday night rental.
Old 09-19-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Thanks for the review. I figured this would be more pulpy enjoyment than quality film. Sounds like a good Friday night rental.
It is a quality film, don't get me wrong, and I did like it. It's just a little pedestrian for my taste. Its very paint-by-the-numbers & hokey. It felt more like it was trying to please test-audiences at times rather than be a dirty crime film. I never read the book so if some of the decisions were based on the book I can forgive it a bit.
Old 09-19-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Liked it, but I honestly feel that critics and reviewers tend to heap too much praise on movies directed by individuals known for acting. The movie was solid, and Renner should get an Oscar nod IMO, but it felt like a Cliffs Notes version of Heat. Three out of five, maybe another half star for Renner.

EDIT: made a change to the comparison to what I feel is more accurate.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-19-10 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-19-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it was another version of Heat, then it was one without the fat.
Old 09-19-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If it was another version of Heat, then it was one without the fat.
thinking the same thing...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.