Old 09-15-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Terriers -- "Dog & Pony" -- 09/15/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Needing money quickly, the guys go bounty hunting. Their target: an armed robber named Montell Gobright (Matthew Willig), who turns out to be a bigger fish than they thought he would be.

Episode 2 of 13

I liked episode 1, but didn't love it. It's really different and I like the way it's shot, so I will still watch.
Old 09-15-10, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terriers -- "Dog & Pony" -- 09/15/10

Will definitely tune in, and hope more people will as well, but don't think it's going to gain many viewers. The marketing really dropped the ball with this series.

I like it though, and look forward to tonight.
Old 09-15-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liked the first ep, will be tuning in.
Old 09-15-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually purchased a Season Pass on iTunes based on the first episode. I really dug it. So I'm in no matter what now. Please don't suck!
Old 09-15-10, 05:14 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

FYI, the two stars are doing what is called the Terriers Pickup Truck Tour where they are stopping by several cities to promote the show. Spokane, WA is their first stop (tonight). Not sure what remaining cities will be part of the tour, but plan to be on the lookout.

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/blog...-pickup-t.html
Old 09-15-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn the blond girlfriend of the sidekick is hot.
Old 09-15-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the pilot was okay, but this seems much better about halfway in.
Old 09-16-10, 07:16 AM

I'm really digging this show. A lot of great lines tonight.
Old 09-16-10, 10:40 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^ Agreed -- funny episode last night. Also, I didn't realize that Tim Minear Exec Produces this show -- it definitely has the creative talent around it.
Old 09-16-10, 06:14 PM

Terriers (64 minutes)
- 0.822 million viewers
- 0.6/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49

Ouch. Not looking good.
Old 09-16-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by scorpion
Terriers (64 minutes)
- 0.822 million viewers
- 0.6/1 HH
- 0.4/1 A18-49

Ouch. Not looking good.
FX will air the entire 13 episode season regardless as they are all in the can. Cable doesn't cancel shows in the middle of their seasons. But, if it keeps those numbers, you can forget a 2nd season.
Old 09-16-10, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
FX will air the entire 13 episode season regardless as they are all in the can. Cable doesn't cancel shows in the middle of their seasons. But, if it keeps those numbers, you can forget a 2nd season.
Yeah, I know I can look forward to at least this season, but the shows seems really good and it's a shame we probably will not get more than that.

The name of the show is pretty much its downfall.
Old 09-16-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not just the name. It's a hard premise to sell, and they did a poor job of selling it. There is also, IIRC, not that great a track record of launching shows on FX on Wednesdays. Sons of Anarchy is the obvious exception, but it clearly appealed to a lot of the demographic that watched The Shield and had a marketing campaign that worked a lot better than the Terriers one did. The Shield and Sons of Anarchy also paired better for reairing than Sons of Anarchy and Terriers do. Honestly, I think more of the audience that will be around for The League would like Terriers than the Sons of Anarchy crowd evidently did.
Old 09-18-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife and I watched it last night, thought it was amusing, but there's too much other stuff coming up to put this on our viewing schedule...
Old 09-18-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally got a chance to watch the first two episodes. I wasnt expecting much (based on the name), but it was pretty enjoyable. Hopefully the numbers get better and the show is able to stick around for a little while.
Old 09-19-10, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked episode 2. However, the case about Hank and Britt going after the armed robber for that bounty was pretty meh, but there was some other pretty good scenes and dialogue between Hank & Britt that kept it entertaining.

at Britt freaking out when the Terrier licked his balls.

at Hank pointing out to Britt that the Terrier just shit on his carpet. I liked that they actually showed the clump of shit just sitting there.

There was a nice side boob shot of Laura Allen. For those who recall, she starred on The 4400 in the 1st couple of seasons.

I don't know what the deal is with Hank buying that house that he can barely afford. What is the point of that? It's a pretty lame way to show that he still cares about his ex, if that's what he's trying to do.

Honestly, I think only a very small audience really appreciates this kind of show and that's why the ratings have been disappointing. Hell, most of the country probably had no interest in watching initially because of the name alone. And as Jimmy James said in his post, the premise of 2 loser PI's with no license running around San Diego trying to make a quick buck is a really tough sell and isn't OMG, this is must see TV material.

It's really quirky and the 2 leads are interesting, so I will continue watching.
Old 09-21-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the scene of them talking about coming up with a name and a logo. Finally this is where they're going to get the Terriers name! Then after the pause Hank is all "I can't think of anything."
Old 09-21-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

liked it. too bad the ratings are atrocious. i think they marketed this show horribly.
Old 09-21-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I'm late to this episode, but I fell asleep early last week and missed the episode. Thankfully, FX aired an encore after Sons Of Anarchy tonight.

Enjoyed the episode much more than the first. I'm actually surprised this show got greenlit at all, there's just something so off about that I can't believe a studio and network actually backed it. And when I say there's something off, I don't mean it in a bad way, quite the opposite. I actually really enjoy that about the show, but I'm just surprised it actually made it past an unaired pilot.

Logue's doing a real good job with the role. I really like his character a lot.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Honestly, I think only a very small audience really appreciates this kind of show and that's why the ratings have been disappointing. Hell, most of the country probably had no interest in watching initially because of the name alone. And as Jimmy James said in his post, the premise of 2 loser PI's with no license running around San Diego trying to make a quick buck is a really tough sell and isn't OMG, this is must see TV material.

It's really quirky and the 2 leads are interesting, so I will continue watching.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. This show has a very niche audience and won't be a show with great ratings because it isn't marketable or appealing to a lot of people. The premise isn't very grabbing, the marketing was horrible, and there's no real "big" names attached.

That said, I liked the first episode but wasn't completely sold. This second episode though, hooked me. I love the way its shot, it has a lot of very subtle and odd humour, and I like the two leads as flawed and quirky characters. I'll definitely keep tuning in.

Originally Posted by superfro
I loved the scene of them talking about coming up with a name and a logo. Finally this is where they're going to get the Terriers name! Then after the pause Hank is all "I can't think of anything."
Yeah, that gave me a pretty good laugh.

Originally Posted by Deftones
liked it. too bad the ratings are atrocious. i think they marketed this show horribly.
Agreed. They dropped the ball with the marketing. The only reason I tuned in is because of FX's track record with comedies and dramas and because I like Donal Logue. I can't imagine there were tons of people checking this show out based on the "previews."
Old 09-21-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
The only reason I tuned in is because of FX's track record with comedies and dramas and because I like Donal Logue.
100% same here.