Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mafia 2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mafia 2 issues

I have never bought a PC game for my pc. However, i recently bought Mafia 2. I uploaded the disc to my comp, but when I go to play it it's a bright purple, pink, orangish color, which makes it unplayable. I was told I need Nvidia GeForce, which my comp does NOT have in it. Is there a way to find this & download it for free? As I said, I'm new to pc games, so don't really know anything about them, but my laptop (emachines), comes with a video card in it that can not read & properly display the game. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-12-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: Mafia 2 issues

You might want to activate your game with your Steam account (it's a game that allows that). Once you do that, you can download the game off of steam and they should automatically get you all the updates you need. Worth a shot, as long as you're okay with Steam.
Old 09-12-10, 04:30 PM

well that's what downloaded into my comp, is steam. then I used the disc to download the game. Is it possible to just download it without the disc?
Old 09-12-10, 04:36 PM

Absolutely. Open Steam, go to Library, select "Mafia 2" from the list and then click "Install Now".
Old 09-12-10, 04:40 PM

Oh, yeah -- and uninstall the game you just installed first, just to be safe.
Old 09-12-10, 04:48 PM

yup, I just uninstalled it & trying it again. gonna take another 4 hrs. though. lol
Old 09-12-10, 04:51 PM

I'll post back & let you know how it went. fingers crossed.
Old 09-12-10, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giallofan
I was told I need Nvidia GeForce, which my comp does NOT have in it. Is there a way to find this & download it for free?

That is ripe for a "download more RAM" joke. Nvidia Geforce is a physical card that goes inside your computer. It cannot be downloaded.

My guess is that your laptop does not have an actual graphics card. Most mainstream laptops like an emachines will have an integrated card that is not a real graphics card.

Click on the Start button and type dxdiag into the Search bar. Run that program and click on the display tab. If it say Intel something, then you have an integrated card.

Integrated cards lack the more advanced features such as pixel shaders that are required in modern games. Quite simply, it is like trying to run a modern game on an old SNES. These integrated cards are meant for office work and internet surfing, nothing advanced like 3D gaming.

Laptops are also extremely difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade. So installing an actual graphics card probably isn't going to be an option.