Buffy First Impressions - Season 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Buffy First Impressions - Season 2

This is the 2nd thread in a series. The thread for the first season is here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/578...eason-1-a.html

Due to renewed interest in Sessa17's mysteriously deleted Buffy thread, in which he watched and reviewed every episode of Buffy as he watched the show for the very first time, I have decided to repost his reviews, which I managed to recover via a now-expire Google cache, and an archive.org copy of the archived version of the thread (more on that later).

The idea is to create a thread that current and future newcomers to the series can read along with as they watch the show. People who have already seen the show are free to read along and comment as well, however, please NO SPOILERS AT ALL ABOUT FUTURE EPISODES OR CHARACTERS. Only comment on events and characters up to the last review posted.

I plan to post Sessa17's reviews once every few days, somewhere between 2-4 episodes at a time. This will allow people time to watch or rewatch the show in time with the reviews, as well as time to discuss individual episodes before the next batch of episode reviews is posted.

I also plan on linking to any "additional reading" I am aware of, such as the AVClub reviews of the show, which were done by a similar neophyte to the show, so the reviews should be safe for new viewers as well (although the comments section on that site may not be).

Finally, I may also post what recollections I have of seeing the show as it aired. I will be posting first impressions only, as far as I can recall them, and may refrain from reviewing an episode if I can't recall my first impressions.

If you've already seen the entire show and want to read what's left of the old thread, the archive.org copy is available online here:

Due to the lack of bbcode formatting in the archive threads, quote and spoiler boxes don't exist, so read at your own risk.
Old 09-11-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Buffy First Impressions - Season 2

The first Sessa reviews:
Sessa17 02-27-05, 02:30 PM
Began Season 2 last night, wasn't sure I'd make it this far.

"When She Was Bad" - Wow, a world of difference in just this first episode compared to all of the first season. Buffy is back with blonde hair instead of brunette & quite a few lbs lighter as well. She really looked 16 years in the first season. Looks like she has a new dad also, I don't think it's the same actor. The goofines is gone, & this ep was a pure character piece. We see for the first time why Buffy was so detached in the first season on top of struggling with her death. The "techno-pagan" is back as well, as a possible love interest for Giles, didn't think she was going to be a recurring character. Angel spends most of the ep following Buffy around like a puppy which was kind of annoying. And much more Cordelia, which is a good thing for me, however I think Buffy has saved her life in 5 straight eps now, so it's kind of annoying & unwarrented that she still hates her so much. But overall, this was by far the best ep to date, so far it looks like everyone here may be right.
Sessa17 02-27-05, 10:11 PM
Onward...

"Some Assembly Required" - I just can't get back to back good episodes. Another dreadful episode that almost rivals my least favorite episode so far with the Power Ranger robot bad guy. The riff on Frankenstein has been done to death. The only saving grace was Giles & Ms. Calendar getting together. Also the end seemed to hint at Cordelia almost liking Xander for an instant

"School Hard" - Enter Spike. Knowing how popular he is I'm assuming he sticks around. So far this is the first major character introduced since the original 6 from the first episode. Tons happens in this one & excellent overrall except for Spike running away from Buffy's mom for no apparent reason. We learn something that answers some of the complaints I have, in that the principal & the cops both are aware of everything going on. That's huge b/c I've been bitching about how dumb the principal must be. Also, Spike kills "The Anointed One", which I also didn't expect & we learn that Angel was Spike's mentor maybe (I liked the scene with them). Great intro for Spike, he had a few funny lines, killed several random people on top of a bunch of vampires, & seems to shake things up, I just hope he is a formidable villain & not beaten easily like every single bad guy has been so far.
Old 09-11-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Additional Reading

AVClub - "When She Was Bad", "Some Assembly Required", "School Hard"

http://www.avclub.com/articles/when-...bad-etc,13059/
Old 09-11-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My First Impressions Recollections:

I didn't see most of this season as it aired, as I had moved to a city that didn't have the WB. We got the WB in time for Season 3, and thus I watched most of season 2 in reruns during that season. As such, I'm not going to have many personal reflections on this season.
Old 09-11-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
My First Impressions Recollections:

I didn't see most of this season as it aired, as I had moved to a city that didn't have the WB. We got the WB in time for Season 3, and thus I watched most of season 2 in reruns during that season. As such, I'm not going to have many personal reflections on this season.
In the previous thread I talked about my first viewing and how it was affected by what (now yesterday's) anniversary is, and being regretful of not seeing it as it originally aired. That you saw it in reruns, most likely the very first in 1998/1999, is the next best thing to the original airdates. As I said in the other thread that beats DVD viewing any day.

This particular season....I mean damn. How great was it to see the huge revelations that took place for the very first time?

In terms of recollections, I would imagine it's easier to recall things one episode at a time, week after week, rather than marathon viewing where everything happens back-to-back without any gaps unless you impose them yourself. I don't know how these reviews were spaced out , whether a break in between each episode or disc took place to gather thoughts together and write them down, or otherwise.
Old 10-13-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I was just flipping through the guide and saw the Comet channel (?!) is airing reruns of Buffy. The S2 finale was on so I decided to watch it. I probably haven’t seen it in 15 years, but it does not hold up well!

The pacing is very jolted and the scenes don’t have a lot of chance to breath. The worst part was how obvious the stunt acting was. During the climatic flight scene, you clearly see both stunt actors constantly throughout the scenes. I never noticed it, but guess that’s the “benefit” of viewing on a 65” tv.
Old 10-13-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I was just flipping through the guide and saw the Comet channel (?!) is airing reruns of Buffy. The S2 finale was on so I decided to watch it. I probably haven’t seen it in 15 years, but it does not hold up well!

The pacing is very jolted and the scenes don’t have a lot of chance to breath. The worst part was how obvious the stunt acting was. During the climatic flight scene, you clearly see both stunt actors constantly throughout the scenes. I never noticed it, but guess that’s the “benefit” of viewing on a 65” tv.
The obvious stunt actors always annoyed me, no matter the screen size. I figured it was mainly a byproduct of its low budget.
Old 10-13-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07

Comet is likely also showing it in HD, so higher resolution than the original airings.
Old 10-13-22, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, I still have these files, I never finished posting though,

Sessa17 02-28-05, 10:52 PM
Just passed the first 2-parter.

"What's My Line: Part 1 - 3rd episode in a row with a new character introduced & this one I was hoping would stick around in Kendra despite her awful accent. Liked the idea of another slayer who was trained my the books more. Also, this ep had the best fight so far, b/c Buff/Kendra, although most have the fights have been awful, actually being able to see the stunt doubles in several fights. The other major event was Cordelia & Xander making out. Loved the cheezy music that played when they hooked up, but there wasn't enough build up to this or Cordelia joining the group, both just kind of happened within 1 episode. Also, more Ozz/Willow stuff stuff.

"What's My Pine: Lart2" - Overall an excellent two parter but my fear with Spike is already happening. He makes all these bold threats, & he is quickly disposed of again. Xander & Cordelia make out again with the great cheezy music. Hope this keeps building for a while. Sad to see Kendra leave so quickly, but I'm sure she'll return eventually.

"Ted" - Ugghhh. Another stinker. Buffy's mom (by far the worste character on the show) has a new boyfriend & its evil Jack Tripper. Giles gets some nookie, but I though it was a little dumb him going out in place of the slayer. A little more Cordelia/Xander which I really hope lasts for a while. Although, Cordelia was accepted into the group too easily. The entire first season & the beginning of this one, is her with her own clique mocking Buffy's, & now all of a sudden she is walking around school with the Buffy crew. She just started helping out of nowhere one ep, & now her friends seem to have vanished, but maybe this will be explained later.

Last edited by Jay G.; 10-13-22 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-01-05, 10:57 am
sessa, you skipped over reptile boy, halloween, lie to me, and the dark age. That's part of the reason the cordelia/xander thing happened too fast for you.

Or, you didn't skip watching them, you just skipped posting thoughts about them?

ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! You guys are right!!! I spoilerized myself. My stupid friends at the discs out of order. I am so f'n pissed off, i think i'm going to put some scratches in their dvds or wipe my butt with one. All my efforts to not ruin things for myself. I knew it seemed weird that giles/calendar were fighting & xander/cordelia got together to quickly.

Damn. Have to backtrack & watch disc two tonight. Very good thing i've been posting & checking into this thread or i would have been watching the final disc next.

Old 10-13-22, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-01-05, 09:58 PM
This summer will probably be the last chance I have for something like that since I hope to get a real job soon, and I wont have weeks at a time when i can just be lazy. Maybe Ill do something like this when i do that.

Having a "real job" is no reason not to do this. I have a full time job 55+ hours a week, & I run a comic book store on the side, & I'm still in college, plus I have an annoying girlfriend & I have plenty of time to do this marathon at nights.

Anyway, started the disc I stupidly skipped over.

"Reptile Boy" - Another weak ep. Buffy gets drunk off of about 1 quarter of a glass of a drink, which was rather dumb. Xander falling into the frat through the window was funny.

"Halloween" - Great ep, maybe the most fun one so far. Xander was good in this one, Giles getting spooked by ghost Willow as someone posted here was hillarious, I actually rewound it to watch it again & this was a big ep for Giles as his shady past is hinted at for the first time plus we learn he had the nickname of "Ripper" once. Giles is my favorite character so far, & he is the one we know the least about so I'm glad he is finally getting some back story. The down side was Spike again gets disposed of like he was nothing. His "cool factor" for me lasted all of one ep, he isn't much of a villain if he gets beat so easy all the time.

Old 10-13-22, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-02-05, 10:34 PM
Anway, just finished the end of my back-tracking.

"Lie To Me" - Pretty good ep. This was the first ep where I noticed a lot of really good lines Spike had a couple & Xander had a great one:
Willow: "The Lonely Ones?"
Angel: "Vampires."
Xander: "Oh! We usually call them the nasty, pointy, bitey ones."

"The Dark Age" - By far my favorite ep so far, since Giles has become far & away my favorite character. Finally we get some good back story with his dark London days (& a picture of young Giles looking like Sid Vicous). I liked seeing Giles all disheveled, drinking, & worn out by his past catching up with him. Also really like Ethan Rayne coming back as cool sort of foe too Giles. The only down side is the use of Angel is getting annoying, he just pops in out of the blue all the time when there is trouble, kind of just for a lame plot device.

Last edited by Jay G.; 10-13-22 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-03-05, 07:06 PM

Anway, late last night I got one more in, back to where I left off before the screw-up, which is a little confusing for me continuity wise jumping ahead 3 eps.

"Bad Eggs" - Ughhh, another groaner, Reptile Boy bad. I think the only signifant thing was the intro of Gorch Bros (or at least one of them). The writers were laying it on a little thick with the of "Of Mice & Men" stuff. I couldn't find anything good about this ep.

Last edited by Jay G.; 10-13-22 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-03-05, 11:02 PM
I guess I just watched the meat of season two.

"Surprise" - The Buffy & Angel do it episode. A lot happened here. John O' Conner from one of my all-time favorite movies makes an appearance & we learn that Jenny Calendar has been betraying everyone which kind of sucks b/c I like her & Giles. The Judge is introduced, which didn't strike my as a big deal b/c following the pattern of all villains on this show, he is disposed of quickly. Oz gets "initiated" into the Buffy clan, but has zero reaction to seeing a vampire slain, so he either knows something or is something. And of coarse, vampire sex, which was probably a great ending when it first aired, but seconds later I found out the result.

"Innocence" - To the opening with Angel killing a chick. Great episode, I've noticed the pattern that the Whedon written ones are always the better ones. So Buffy-sex is Angel's red kryptonite. Nice to finally see Angel with some personality. I loved the scene were he was a dick to Buffy & made her cry. This ep must have been a lot better when it first aired & you didn't know that Angel would become good again (he gets his own series so he must). Xander & Cordelia are discovered, which I hope last for a while, I like them together, also we see that Xander kept all his knowledge from the Halloween ep.

Gonna watch one more tonight but probably won't get to post about it until tomorrow.
Old 10-13-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-04-05, 03:44 PM

Got two more in late last night.

"Phases" - So this explains why Oz had no reaction to seeing a vampire for the first time. This ep would have been much better if they never showed the werewolf, b/c it was the single worse werewolf costume ever committed to screen. The thing I liked in this up was the Werewolf hunter, I hope he pops up again, it would be cool if Buffy had a rival from out of town that hunted monsters but had no special ability. I didn't like stuff w/ Xander & the jock coming out of the closet, way too predictable & done to death. Oz is great, but I've always liked Seth Green, I really hope he has a long run on the show but I'm not expecting one.

"Bewitched?" - I don't have the name of this ep in front of me, I'll edit it later. A mostly Xander ep, this show needs WAY more eps about Xander & Giles. I complained earlier about no fallout from Cord being around Xander & Buffy & finally we get some. After the episode that was all about Giles this may be my favorite. It definitely has my favorite ending so far, Xander & Cordelia are great together. The looks on Xander's face during the slow-mo shot of him walking into the school Evil Angel is way more interesting than normal Angel. I can't wait till Drusela is off the show, I want to fast foward it any time she is on screen, I just can't stand the anorexic actress that plays her.
Old 10-13-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-04-05, 04:11 PM
Fun factoid: that actress is Martin Landau's daughter. He played Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood and she also was in that movie. Kind of a funny little vampire connection.
I was wondering that everytime I saw the name in the beginning credits. It's not the character I hate as much as the actress. I just can't stand how she looks & her arms are so thin its disgusting.

Gil it was the execution of the jock being gay scene that bothered me. Just the whole joke, mean jock with a deep secret that someone thinks is something else, but it turns out he is gay & now he feels liberated saying it. I felt I've seen that exact scene countless times on other shows & movies. I wish I knew where exactly, but its a done to death joke. Maybe buffy did it first, but I doubt it.
Old 10-13-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-04-05, 07:08 PM
ps -- Am I mistaken, or do you seem to be enjoying more and more episodes as you get deeper into the show? What's your overall impression/grade at this stage?
My impression represents a weird dichotomy. I've really become a huge fan of Giles, Xander, & Cordelia, but when they are not on screen the show drags for me, & when I first watched the show initially, Xander was one of the characters I hated, I actually thought he was gay. I like evil Angel & I like Oz so far. So I'm way into what happens to Giles, X & Cord, but if the show ever starts pushing them to the back burner, my interest may go with it. (PLEASE, don't tell me if it does, I'll find out for myself).

Now on the other side, & I'm very sorry all of the die-hard fans, but you see I'm trying I still hate Buffy, she is by far the most boring part of the show, I still find Willow annoying (I know she is a fan favorite), I'm sorry, she looks like a boy, the shy puppy eye thing just irks me, I don't find it cute, Spike is just lame so far, he is more comic relief than a true villain & I think this show really needs one strong villain, & what frustrates me the most with him is he eaily has the potential to be one. I still have a few large problems that I'm not going to mention yet hoping they take care of themselves, but I will say that I would definitely not classify this show as "smart" TV as so many fans I talk to feel it is. The show is like a really bad comic book brought to life, & that is what I enjoy & what keeps me from questioning the stupidity of it all, but it also sticks to that mold never trying to be anything more. I feel like there is so much the creators just expect the audience to accept & not think about, that they keep trying to see how much they can get past them, & while I know that won't bother the average Buffy fan, it does bother me.
Old 10-13-22, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-05-05, 10:20 PM
Haven't had a chance to post what I watched last night & I have a lot to say about the first ep I watched.

"Passion" - First off, in terms of this series, this is flawless episode & now my second favorite still after "The Dark Age". Second: NOOOOOoooooo I'm watching the first half of this ep thinking, "damn, Jenny Calendar looks hot this episode, I hope her & Giles get back together."

- Angel goes on the offensive, which was awesome, I figured someting was going to happen to Jenny, but definitely not that Angel would do her in. And I love that he just brutally snaps her neck instead of biting her. This must have been SOOOO much better watching it when it first aired, not knowing Angel would go all good & boring again. It's awesome what they have done with him, making him a girl's worste nightmare, a pycho ex-boyfriend but with a homicidal-supernatural twist to make it so much more menacing. I loved how he told Buffy's mom that he slept with her, what a great scumbag move. And then putting the dead body of Jenny in Giles place in the manner he did it, setting it up as if this is the moment for Giles, he finally isn't going to be alone any more, so awesomly gutwrenching. I really thought evil Angel would last an ep or two & b/c he is the show's hearthrob, so they could never let him get that bad.

- But, Angel wasn't my favorite part, its still Giles. The scene where is he just dazed as the cops are in his apartment, & then dark-disheveled Giles from "The Dark Ages" comes back when he goes after Angel, was my favorite part of this episode. I just wish we'd get more of that side of the character, all of the cast play their own schtick well, but Head can flat-out act, I wish they'd have him break away from the standard Giles more. He also had the best line of the ep, "Since Angel lost his soul, he's regained his sense of whimsy." Angel had a few really good lines as well, when Jenny says "I have good news" & then Angel says something like "I know, you went to the local boogity-boogity store."

- My only questions is how does Angel get into Giles apartment to set the stuff up with Jenny's corpse. He has never been in there before so he was never invited.

"Killed By Death" & "I Only Have Eyes For Her" - Both eps the exact opposite of Passion. Right when I was at my highpoint of diggin' the show, these two clunkers bring me back down. Couldn't fun any redeaming qualities to either ep.

"Go Fish" - This one however I though was a lot of fun, despite the annoying preachiness of the message involved. My favorite of all the Buffy-riffs on the classic monsters (which isn't saying all that much b/c of how bad I thought the others were). Xander was great in this one. Liked Angel getting the bad taste in his mouth from the jock he bit. For some reason I though SMG looked really hot in this ep.
Old 10-13-22, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-05-05, 11:36 PM
One of the best shots in this episode is when Angelus is standing outside of the window watching Buffy & Willow get the news. What an evil bastard.
Yeah! I knew I forgot something, that was great, the smile he gave, I was laughing at that. Its not the murdering & evilness that I like so much about evil Angel, it's those total scumbag moves. He has become the villain I've been complaining the show is lacking, & it's really going to suck when he leaves.
Old 10-13-22, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sessa17 03-07-05, 09:42 AM
Finished Season 2 last night. I cannot believe I've made it this far, & how much Buffy I've watched in such a short amount of time.

"Becoming" - Pt. 1 - Damn it!! Another character I liked bites it. A lot of Angel back story & the entire series I was wondering why Angel became good so that was interesting, but Angel's Irish accent is officially the worste accent ever commited to screen. I liked Giles' line about using the orb of Thessela as a paperweight referring back to the shop owners sarcastic line I think in "Passion". Was Whistler a not so subtle nod to Blade?

"Becoming" - Pt. 2 - A very strong season ending, really doing everything a big finale should do. More than any ep so far this one really shows the tragedy of Buffy's life. This was also my favorite Spike ep. The little scene with Spike & Buffy's mom was so good. I love how Spike was really just portrayed as a romantic in this episode, not a bad guy, & I really liked him just driving away holding Drusela in the end, not double crossing Buffy but not saving her either. Buffy finally tells her mom. Was Willow possesed by Jenny? It seems like Willow is actually becoming Jenny. Really, the only complaint I have is no more evil Angel. That ending must have been SO much better when it first aired, not knowing he gets a spin-off or comes back.