En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Trek: Animated Series: canon or not

Do you consider this show canon
Old 09-11-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Animated Series: canon or not

No, and I think that's the massively prevailing view. I believe it is Roddenberry's own view, which is usually what determines the question at least in terms of creations during the creator's life.

It is also quite inconsistent with TOS and the TOS-era films if I understand the argument correctly. I haven't actually seen TAS since I was a kid, but I liked it then.
Old 09-11-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

David Gerrold and D.C. Fontana disagree. When they wrote episodes for TAS, they worked very hard to maintain both consistency and continuity with TOS. Plus, many of the characters, situations, places, ships, and other elements introduced in TAS were referenced in later series and films (such as Kirk's middle name).
Old 09-11-10, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Elements are canon, but only what was chosen for usage elsewhere. A similar example is the species name Twi'lek being adopted by Lucas from the EU, Aayala Secura was an EU character, the podraces were referenced in the Droids cartoon, Boba Fett was introduced in the Holiday Special and the designers of Ep. III using some scenes from the Holiday Special for inspiration in the design of Kashyyk.

Additionally, some speculate Lucas took the idea of Vader creating 3PO from a throwaway plot device in the "Splinter of the Minds Eye" novel from '78.

And don't get me started on all the Jedi stuff Lucas pulled from the West End Games RPGs.
Old 09-11-10, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes to being cannon. Does everything fit well? Nope. But the show(s) contradict each other, and the movies, all the time so it is not that big of an issue really. Roddenberry called it cannon so it stays. Die-hard fans are split on the matter... I play the MMO game where "cannon" is always discussed to death.
Old 09-11-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Elements are canon, but only what was chosen for usage elsewhere. A similar example is the species name Twi'lek being adopted by Lucas from the EU, Aayala Secura was an EU character, the podraces were referenced in the Droids cartoon, Boba Fett was introduced in the Holiday Special and the designers of Ep. III using some scenes from the Holiday Special for inspiration in the design of Kashyyk.
Don't forget Courscant, which also came from the EU.

Haven't seen TAS in a loooong time, but it's only $19.99 at wal-mart. I remember it being a step above a lot of the animated fare at the time, not so much for the animation, but I could tell even as a kid that the stories were a lot better. As for it being canon, about the only major plot I remember was something about Spock's childhood.
Old 09-11-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with "some parts are, others not". There's plenty of references to TAS in the later series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...s#Canon_issues
Old 09-11-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I understand canon in general, incorporation of a non-canon material by a canon material makes the part referenced in the canon canonical. There is nothing improper about that. Non-canon does not mean this is definitively outside the realm of this universe, just that it has not been established definitively as part of the universe.
Old 09-11-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I look at it as Star Trek season 4.
Old 09-11-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I always felt the PC games "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary" and "Judgment Rites" were the unofficial 4th Season.
On the CD version they had the entire original cast do voice work.
Old 09-11-10, 03:06 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I'm in the TAS=TOS S4 camp too. The amount of running time for TAS totals to around half of a TOS season.
Old 09-12-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

seems to me if you get a lot of the same writers from TOS, it has the same actors come back to do their voices, and Roddenberry is involved it's canon

TAS wasn't like the various EU books that are written by who ever and often don't line up with each other

besides Generations has one of the biggest contradictions ever, having Scotty know of Kirks death when in Relics Scotty says he bets it was "Jim Kirk himself who hauled the old girl out of mothballs to come looking for me"
Old 09-12-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
besides Generations has one of the biggest contradictions ever, having Scotty know of Kirks death when in Relics Scotty says he bets it was "Jim Kirk himself who hauled the old girl out of mothballs to come looking for me"
I'm pretty sure that someway, somehow, the plan was to have Kirk come back at some point. Wasn't there a whole series of books about Kirk being rescued from the Nexus?
Old 09-12-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

Additionally, some speculate Lucas took the idea of Vader creating 3PO from a throwaway plot device in the "Splinter of the Minds Eye" novel from '78.

And don't get me started on all the Jedi stuff Lucas pulled from the West End Games RPGs.
Old 09-12-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I'm pretty sure that someway, somehow, the plan was to have Kirk come back at some point. Wasn't there a whole series of books about Kirk being rescued from the Nexus?
No, but Shatner "wrote" a series of books about Kirk being brought back to life in the 24th century following "Generations".
Old 09-12-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer to think Guinan was right...Picard could NOT leave the Nexus. So him "getting out" of the Nexus and Kirk dying and all that crap actually took place in the Nexus. And Picard is still in the Nexus, though all the movies and books he's been in since Generations.

Outside of the Nexus Picard is considered dead. Whether or not they were able to bring Kirk back remains to be seen.

I realize this is not how it has gone down in the movies and books, but it would be kind of cool if they did a book series or a movie that revealed this is how it played out after all this time.
Old 09-13-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Sure.
Old 09-13-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.
Old 09-13-10, 08:58 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes.
Old 09-13-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
TAS wasn't like the various EU books that are written by who ever and often don't line up with each other
That's no longer true. Now that the books are the only source for TNG-era stories, the publisher has taken to coordinating the books much more closely and building larger arc stories.

Yes, "written" by Shatner, and like Star Trek V they're practically fanfic with Kirk as the Shat's Mary Sue. Not only aren't they canon, but they don't even belong to the same non-canon canon as the other Trek novels.
Old 09-13-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Speaking of ST V, if TAS isn't canon, then ST V shouldn't be.
Old 09-13-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, there was a movie between Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country?
Old 09-13-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Speaking of ST V, if TAS isn't canon, then ST V shouldn't be.
Gene Roddenberry agreed with you.

Originally Posted by [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StarTrekVTheFinalFrontier
TV Tropes[/url]]
Canon Dis Continuity: It's still technically part of the canon, but the events have never been directly referenced in another canonical Star Trek work again. Rumor has it the writers are specifically told not to as a matter of course. Gene Roddenberry said he considered some elements of the movie apocryphal, but he apparently never told anyone which ones.

The novels, which are now vetted more thoroughly than they used to be, have featured Sybok exactly once—in an alternate universe where humanity was conquered by the Borg and Spock was never born.
Note that in the TNG episode featuring Sarek, he introduces his wife as his second, implying that he either illogically knocked up some Vulcan chick and left her pregnant, or that Sybok doesn't exist in the TNG-verse.