Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Home Alone Complete Caper 4-Film Set >> 10/5/10

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to VideoETA, the box set with all four Home Alone features is arriving on 10/5/2010.

Home Alone is enjoyable (as something I grew up on), I am amused by how violent 2 is, and 3 was surprisingly passable for what it was (someone bought it me as a joke birthday gift and I actually watched it).

I wish 2 had another Columbus/Culkin commentary since the one on the first movie is excellent.

I never wish to see 4. Shocking that these are getting the HD treatment...
Old 09-04-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Home Alone Complete Caper 4-Film Set >> 10/5/10

I thought this was only suppose to be the first two movies?
Not the crappy 3rd one with the parrot that had nothing to do with the first two movies and the even crappier direct to basic cable 4th one that saw daniel sterns character return but this time played by french stewart
Old 09-04-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd definitely get the first one, MAYBE the second (it's basically a carbon copy of the first), but I'd definitely pass on 3 and 4...
Old 09-05-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And if there wasnt enough stuff already out on the 5th...
Old 09-05-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I already own the first two individual Blu-rays. Home Alone is a genuine Christmas classic at my house. The second one was entertaining to a degree, certainly worth owning, but as stated above by another poster it most certainly does feel like a carbon copy to some extent. I have ZERO interest in the third or fourth films for obvious reasons. I'll pass on a double dip for two sure to sub-par movies I don't even want to see.
Old 09-05-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GenPion
I already own the first two individual Blu-rays. Home Alone is a genuine Christmas classic at my house. The second one was entertaining to a degree, certainly worth owning, but as stated above by another poster it most certainly does feel like a carbon copy to some extent. I have ZERO interest in the third or fourth films for obvious reasons. I'll pass on a double dip for two sure to sub-par movies I don't even want to see.
Well, the third one is actually better than the second in the sense that it's not a carbon copy of either of the previous two movies. I appreciated that they found a new "home alone" situation (the kid is sick at home for a few days, and is only "alone" when his parents are at work and his sister -- a super-young Scarlett Johansson -- is at school), and I appreciated even more that the kid tries to get his parents and the police to believe him twice before setting up a bunch of traps (which, frankly, is a weird thing to do). I was also really amused by the fact that Home Alone 2 came under fire for being so violent, and Home Alone 3's solution is to be equally, if not more violent (a lawnmower falls on a guy's face), but to round the edge off with cartoon sound effects.

However, I totally understand the nostalgia factor may be the only major thing interesting someone in Home Alone 2, and that it's just not really that important to see Home Alone 3. Still, I was kind of impressed by how not shitty it was.
Old 09-06-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up Home Alone for $10 during a Fry's sale last year, still waiting for the first sequel to hit a similar low price.

I'd rather get kicked in the balls than watch Home Alone 3 again. God knows how fucking awful the direct-to-television fourth one is.
Old 09-06-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I picked up Home Alone for $10 during a Fry's sale last year, still waiting for the first sequel to hit a similar low price.

I'd rather get kicked in the balls than watch Home Alone 3 again. God knows how fucking awful the direct-to-television fourth one is.
Two words can be used to describe How Awful Home Alone 4 is:
French Stewart
Old 09-06-10, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Home Alone 2 scared me as a child. Is that the one where he is lost in NY and some old lady feeds him pigeons?
Old 09-06-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Home Alone 2 scared me as a child. Is that the one where he is lost in NY and some old lady feeds him pigeons?
Ha Ha yeah that is the one. Home Alone 2 Lost in New York.
Old 09-06-10, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Ha Ha yeah that is the one. Home Alone 2 Lost in New York.
:shudder:

The creepy music has haunted me for years. I actually remember liking the third film when I had to watch it while babysitting. But not enough to actually buy this set. Good gift for kids though.

Still in shock they made a Fourth film.
Old 09-06-10, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Oh wow...this looks awesome!

Kevin McCallister's parents have split up. Now living with his mom, he decides to spend Christmas with his dad at the mansion of his father's rich girlfriend, Natalie. Meanwhile robber Marv Merchants, one of the villains from the first two movies, partners up with a new criminal named Vera to hit Natalie's mansion
They split up?!? Now that's what I call a Christmas classic (I bet they get back together at the end...they re-unite when they find out how much danger Kevin was in! I nailed it, right?). Good to see Kristie Ally get some work though.
Old 09-06-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh wow...this looks awesome!

They split up?!? Now that's what I call a Christmas classic (I bet they get back together at the end...they re-unite when they find out how much danger Kevin was in! I nailed it, right?). Good to see Kristie Ally get some work though.
Thats actually missi Pyle not kirstie ally lol

Not only are they divorced but kevin and Buzz and his sister are younger than he was in the first two movies when his parents are still married.
Kevin actually says he is 9 years old when home alone 4 starts but he was 10 in home alone 2. Not to mention his mother is much younger than she was in the first two. And the father lives in a mansion and has a butler not to mention he has a hot younger fiance
And his extended family is also much smaller than in the first 2 films
And keep in mind its not a prequel because Kevin does battle again against Marv from the first 2 home alone movies only this time played by French Stewart(uggggh)who has a female partner in crime played by missie pyle, and Both Marv and kevin immeadiately recognize each other from the two prior encounters. Oh and it takes place in the early 2000s
And not only that but you get rehash of Kevin experiencing after shave for
the very first time.

And finally He is never Home alone once in this movie, either his father or the buttler or the fiance is at home with kevin in his dads mansion through out the entire movie

They approached Daniel stern about comming back to play marv and he said no and that the script was an insult and total Garbage.
Old 09-06-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

:shudder:

The creepy music has haunted me for years. I actually remember liking the third film when I had to watch it while babysitting. But not enough to actually buy this set. Good gift for kids though.

Still in shock they made a Fourth film.
The real scary part is that they actually had set Home alone 4 up as a pilot for a potential Home Alone tv series and most of the actors contracts were set up for them to return for the tv series. luckily the raitings for the movie were so craptastic that the tv series fell apart.
Old 09-06-10, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Thats actually missi Pyle not kirstie ally lol

Not only are they divorced but kevin and Buzz and his sister are younger than he was in the first two movies when his parents are still married.
Kevin actually says he is 9 years old when home alone 4 starts but he was 10 in home alone 2. Not to mention his mother is much younger than she was in the first two. And the father lives in a mansion and has a butler not to mention he has a hot younger fiance
And his extended family is also much smaller than in the first 2 films
And keep in mind its not a prequel because Kevin does battle again against Marv from the first 2 home alone movies only this time played by French Stewart(uggggh)who has a female partner in crime played by missie pyle, and Both Marv and kevin immeadiately recognize each other from the two prior encounters. Oh and it takes place in the early 2000s
And not only that but you get rehash of Kevin experiencing after shave for
the very first time.

And finally He is never Home alone once in this movie, either his father or the buttler or the fiance is at home with kevin in his dads mansion through out the entire movie

They approached Daniel stern about comming back to play marv and he said no and that the script was an insult and total Garbage.
Ok, I'm renting this. You sold me. I'm getting the bong, uhh...HOOKAH ready for when it arrives.
Old 09-07-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

zero interst in this... give me 1 & 2 and be done with it
Old 09-07-10, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So in other words, if I already own 1 and 2, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy this. Cool.
Old 09-07-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I'm renting this. You sold me. I'm getting the bong, uhh...HOOKAH ready for when it arrives.
Ha Ha lol
Old 09-07-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The real scary part is that they actually had set Home alone 4 up as a pilot for a potential Home Alone tv series and most of the actors contracts were set up for them to return for the tv series. luckily the raitings for the movie were so craptastic that the tv series fell apart.
How would you do a weekly television series? How many different scenarios could you leave Kevin alone and Marv burglarize wherever Kevin's at?

You know what, don't answer that.
Old 09-07-10, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
How would you do a weekly television series? How many different scenarios could you leave Kevin alone and Marv burglarize wherever Kevin's at?

You know what, don't answer that.
I have no clue just know that the producers said that it was meant to be the pilot for a weekly tv series.

Thank god it didnt happen
Old 09-07-10, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Well, the third one is actually better than the second in the sense that it's not a carbon copy of either of the previous two movies. I appreciated that they found a new "home alone" situation (the kid is sick at home for a few days, and is only "alone" when his parents are at work and his sister -- a super-young Scarlett Johansson -- is at school), and I appreciated even more that the kid tries to get his parents and the police to believe him twice before setting up a bunch of traps (which, frankly, is a weird thing to do). I was also really amused by the fact that Home Alone 2 came under fire for being so violent, and Home Alone 3's solution is to be equally, if not more violent (a lawnmower falls on a guy's face), but to round the edge off with cartoon sound effects.

However, I totally understand the nostalgia factor may be the only major thing interesting someone in Home Alone 2, and that it's just not really that important to see Home Alone 3. Still, I was kind of impressed by how not shitty it was.
Based on what you've said above I might as well netflix the third one and see for myself. Based on everything I've read here, though, I can surely feel fine skipping the fourth one altogether.
Old 09-07-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
So in other words, if I already own 1 and 2, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy this. Cool.
Pretty much, yeah. I own 1 & 2 and I am just fine with that.
Old 09-07-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Yep, I'm very happy with my 1 & 2 standalones, which are pretty good BD's quality wise. It took almost 20 years to finally get a decent transfer of HA2, so I was glad for that.
Old 11-13-10, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Belated update: I saw this in a store somewhere, and it's just the first two movies.
Old 11-13-10, 05:44 AM
Banned

Dang. I was hoping for a decent release of the second movie. There has to be some features somewhere that they can put on it. The dvd didn't have anything. Nor did the blu-ray.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.