DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Louie -- "God" -- 08/31/10

Louie

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Louie realizes he has a shitty life and decides to explore religion

Episode 11 of 13

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EEQQvbDij8s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EEQQvbDij8s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-31-10, 10:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Louie -- "God" -- 08/31/10

The stand-up bits were pretty good this week, but the flashbacks only had a few funny bits.

Didn't the actress that played his mom tonight play his date in the Bully episode?
Old 09-01-10, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis has full creative control and shows like tonights explain why.

He's a great stand-up, but this episode blew.
Old 09-01-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Too much flash-back, not enough actual jokes and practically no funny bits.

And what's the deal with his mom being played by the same actress who also played hi date a couple episodes ago? Creepy much?
Old 09-01-10, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe its a Freudian thing about guys dating girls who remind them of their mother
Old 09-01-10, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When the doctor was in the doorway, I was thinking "that guy's as tall as Tom Noonan."

The Sunday school blackboard:

Jesus was
NAiLed to A CROSs

BecAuse oF some Jews

Good episode. God is an asshole.
Old 09-01-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Someone claiming to be Louie CK posted this at the avclub http://www.avclub.com/articles/god,44549/

The "Mom" episode was a character idea. a parent that is completely narcisistic. My mother is the opposite. But this show is not entirely autobiographical. Often it's not that at all. I just wanted to try this mom character and it worked well with the brother character I had developed. I also don't have a brother. I threw a couple of scenes at Robert Kelly and there was something so endearingly pathetic about him that I brought him back. When I started screwing around with this idea of having this awful mother, Robert's character fit into it perfectly.

I had written the God script before we started shooting and I shelved it. I just didn't think I could pull it off in the best possible way and did not want to do a shitty version of it. So I wrote it and then put it away. Several weeks later I wrote and shot Mom. A few weeks after that, I revisited the GOD script. I had more confidence in how we were producing the show and photographing it and I wanted to take it on. So I dusted off the script. Gayle Keller, the casting director, told me her idea of Tom Noonan, who I love and that just made me have to do it. Amy Silver the designer, made a great Jesus. So we put it into the mill.

Before it was shelved, Gayle had put a few people on tape, auditioning for "God". Amy Landecker had read for the mom. I hadn't seen it. She subsequently got the part for Bully, which we shot pretty early in the season. (sorry I know the timeline is a mess here) Anyway I watched her audition for God and she just nailed it (sorry) . No one else came close. So I decided I don't care that she was in this other thing. This show doesn't really function as a series. I don't think of it that way. I use what I need to tell each story. Also this is a flashback. It's in the past so it's a rememberance. There is something about a flashback, it feels like it exists on a hazier plane of reality than a present day story. It felt right to me to do that. Also at the end of her audition she said "You wanna go get some donuts?" which had this weird chilly time-travelly feeling to it because our Bully scene was so donut-centric.

As far as the mom character... Yeah, the mom in GOD is really my mom. We're even in a Pinto just like hers. She was a working mom and always wore a trench coat. The Mom in MOM was a total crazy character having to do with nothing in my life. The kid playing me in God was vastly different in look and character than the kid who plays me in Divorce and Bully. Every episode is tacking a different thing. Some people will be confused. That's okay. I think it's worth it. If it irks you to watch it because of that, I understand. But I still want to make the show this way. And they're letting me.
By the way my daughter, Jane, is played by two different girls through the season. I don't think it matters. Thanks for watching.
Old 09-01-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

we watched this last night and after 10 minutes the wife asked if they switched shows, after 20 minutes i wondered it too. very bizarre episode with no laughs, ballsy (stupid?) move.

i did think the Noonan part was awesome and insanely creepy. i was waiting for little louie to drive the nail into his friend, i think that could have made it take a funny turn to add some laughs.
Old 09-01-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Too much flash-back, not enough actual jokes and practically no funny bits.

And what's the deal with his mom being played by the same actress who also played hi date a couple episodes ago? Creepy much?
Wow you're easy to creep out.
That wasn't creepy, lazy maybe, but not creepy. She's just an actress.
Old 09-01-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I thought her casting may have been a (sub?)conscious choice denoting that he may want to fuck his mother.

Either way, that actress is pretty fucking hot in "A Serious Man".
Old 09-01-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Little off topic....but Louis is drunk on a plane right now and his tweets are fantastic.....follow him @louisck if you haven't already....
Old 09-01-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird episode but I still liked it. I had no problem with his mom being played by the actress from Bully and being seemingly completely different (you know nice) as well as the absence of his brother (though for a few minutes I thought that Ryan kid was supposed to be Bobby). The line about getting some donuts was a nice connection.

Either way, like he says not everyone will like/understand it but for me it worked even if it was definitely a bit on the odd side.
Old 09-01-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

I don't know why it bothers me so much that they cast a kid with blue eyes when Louie himself has brown eyes...but it does. Casting director fail
Old 09-01-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The stand-up part was fine, but the flashback (which was the rest/majority of the show) was dull. I don't understand why it was even there - the show is supposed to be a comedy, isn't it?
Old 09-01-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Wow, what a great episode. Without argument, it has the least amount of "laughs" of all the shows, but the whole cruxifixtion post-mortem was riveting. I found this one completely engaging. I welcome the changing styles and tones.
Old 09-02-10, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I don't know why it bothers me so much that they cast a kid with blue eyes when Louie himself has brown eyes...but it does. Casting director fail
That's pretty nitpicky, but the fact that Louie does so much stuff for his show and is autonomous from FX will lead to stuff like this. However, I think Louie is the funniest and most unique show I've seen in a while. While, I love It's Always Sunny, it's basically Seinfeld on steroids.

I loved this episode, Tom Noonan was great, I loved him in Damages and Synecdoche, New York.
Old 09-02-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Wow, what a great episode. Without argument, it has the least amount of "laughs" of all the shows, but the whole cruxifixtion post-mortem was riveting. I found this one completely engaging. I welcome the changing styles and tones.
I felt the exact same way. Like the bully episode there weren't really any laughs, but I thought it was really, really good. Very impressed with the directing.
Old 09-08-10, 01:20 PM

Does anyone know the name of the Church where this episode was filmed? It looks very familiar to me.
Old 09-08-10, 06:18 PM

I liked how the maintenance guy had to fix the crucifix by re-pounding the nails back in to Jesus.

Hilarious in a creepy sort of way.