Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Going to Florence, Italy... what to buy

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Going to Florence, Italy... what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Florence, Italy... what to buy...see and do...

As the title says. Anyone konw of any Italian DVDs that are the best DVD version to get?

List so far:

Aenigma - Remastered (Lucio Fulci)
Assassination (1967)

Last edited by Dane; 08-27-10 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Going to Florence, Italy... what to buy

Ripley Home Video has several superb discs if you're a fan of classic Italian cinema:

Before the Revolution
La Signora di tutti
La Terra trema

A few have been reviewed by DVD Talk.
Old 08-26-10, 08:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good luck in finding a good DVD/BD store. I was there lats year and all I could find were really small electronics stores that had maybe 5 BD titles, all around 19.99 Euros. Too high for my blood. but if you run across a good store, please let me know. I'd appreciate it. I didn't stray too far, mostly everywhere between the City Hall, market, and the Ponte Veccio.
Old 08-26-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I recommend you not buying ANYTHING in Florence that you can pick up signficantly cheaper online. That's one expensive town. An awesome one, but pricey.

Off-topic, but make sure you check out the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens. You can get so wonderfully lost back there...
Old 08-26-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, guys.

I only intend to buy two or three DVDs in Florence as I´m aware that DVD stores in Italy can be very pricey. Not to mention Blu-rays. My visit to Rome last year taught me that. However, one might be able to find most of the named DVD titles online, but shipping cost is very expensive from Italy. So, why not pick up a few titles when visiting.

Forgot to mention that I live in Denmark (we have high wages ), and I´m aware that Europe is very, very expensive to visit if live in the US due to the low currency exchange rate. In contrast, the US is inexpensive for Europeans to visit.

Did a search and found out that LaFeltrinelli have a few stores in Florence. Blockbuster also have a store in Florence as well as some other named stores called Cinemania SAS and Edison. Not sure if there is a Mondadori Multicenter located in the center of Florence.

Found a few more titles that might be worth checking out:

Amatemi
Legend Of 1900 (UNCUT 165 min.)
Quando sei nato non puoi più nasconderti
Piano 17
Ex – (Fausto Brizzi)

PS.
Since there is so much to do and see perhaps I won´t even have time to buy some DVDs.

Last edited by Dane; 08-26-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
Since there is so much to do and see perhaps I won´t even have time to buy some DVDs.
That's good thinking. If this is your first visit to Florence, the tourist options will be overwhelming. Unfortunately, any place to shop of "value" will be far away from those areas. The few euros you save on buying the DVDs probably aren't worth the time lost. I love movies/DVD collecting as much as anyone, but there's no way I would miss the Uffizi, Duomo, David, Ponte Vecchio, etc., to go DVD shopping.
Old 08-26-10, 08:24 PM
Banned by request

And go find a restaurant called Trattoria Nelly. A wonderful small 10 table place where I has the BEST dinner ever- and I had a lot. I loved it so much I ate there twice. And you know how many good places there are there.Homemade everything. Worth walking those backstreets to find.

And for a great sandwich, go to Due Fratellini. Just don't order the lard sandwich. Yes - they have a lard sandwich. Everything else is great.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...6655985&ref=ts
Old 08-26-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Honestly, you could throw a dart out the window and find an awesome eatery/restaurant in Florence

I also recommend the Medici Tombs. They're in the basement of an unassuming building. They are absolutely MAGNIFICENT!
Old 08-26-10, 09:43 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Honestly, you could throw a dart out the window and find an awesome eatery/restaurant in Florence
That's why I called out Trattoria Nelly - it really was better then the other 5 or 6 restaurants we ate at that were also really great. Dammit, now I want to go back.

And the Medici Tombs are worth seeing. I guess in a sense, you could throw a dart out the window and it would hit something worth taking time to see. So much damned history in that city.
Old 08-27-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, for all the good tips. Really nice to hear from someone who has been to Florence or Italy in general.

Although, I´ve been to Italy close to hundreds of times by now, and own a small apartment at Lake Como this is my first time to Florence.

During my research and watching documentaries about Florence this city is totally overwhelming when it comes to art. Everywhere you go there is art. Every building has ceiling decorated with frescoes by some famous artist. It´s just unbelievable and exorbitant how much art this city has. It really takes your breath away. Whatever feeling one has about The Medici family they really revolutionized the art world.

Italy is the epitome of great food. And picking out a restaurant is a daunting task. The problem with eating at restaurants that´ been mentioned in, say Rick Steve´s guidebooks is, that they will be flocked with mainly Americans (no hard feelings), and thus loosing some of that special Italian atmosphere.

From my past experience in Italy I know one shouldn´t chose the obvious choice of places to eat, but instead pick out the restaurants where the local florentines eat. These restaurants are most often located down the narrow streets away from the expensive and flashy turist restaurants that one would find on every piazza. The trattorias where craftsmen, suits and communal workers eat side by side are often a very good sign of an inexpensive and true atmospheric places to eat.

For the purpose of this trip I just bought myself a Panasonic ZS3/TZ7 compact digital camera and 3 x 8GB SDHC Class 6 memory cards. Hope that will be enough.

Since my time in Florence is limited to six days at a Hotel with Arno river view I´ve decided only to buy some DVDs if I by chance happpen to pass a store. As some of you mentioned one can always order them online.

Last edited by Dane; 08-27-10 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-28-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Ripley Home Video has several superb discs if you're a fan of classic Italian cinema:

Before the Revolution
La Signora di tutti
La Terra trema

A few have been reviewed by DVD Talk.
I have both Before the Revolution and La Terra Trema.

I think buying DVDs would be the last thing on my mind while traveling to Europe.
Old 08-30-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just don't ever go to Milan for dvd/blu-rays. There's only one store in that whole city...actually, don't go to Milan, one of the worst European cities I've ever been to.
Old 09-18-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back from a wonderful vacation in Florence. What an AWSOME city!!! Great food!!! Definitely not the last time I´ll go there. Took about 277 photos and 37 short HD video clips.

Happened to pass by a Fetrinelli Recordi Media Store on my way to the Florence Dome, and bought the following titles:

Legend Of 1900 (UNCUT 165 min.)
Quando sei nato non puoi più nasconderti aka Once you´re born you can no longer hide.

I quickly went in and asked for the titles I wanted, and left again. Since DVDs & BDs are quite expensive in Italy I just selected the two mentioned titles... after which I ordered a large beer on a fancy café for the gastly price of $15.00 on Piazza della Repubblica.

Had a wonderful and pleasant 7 day stay, and I´ve already made plans to go there next year in September.