Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Just got an empty box from eBay!?!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a brand new The Prowler on Blu Ray last week, and it arrived on Thursday. I opened the package took out the Blu Ray box and put it on the counter until I was ready to watch it.
I just went to open the box to watch the movie, which was shrink wrapped and still had the security sticker on it, and it was empty! No disc at all! The shrink wrap was strange, thinner than normal, I remember thinking to myself as I was opening it "This shrink wrap feels odd, I hope it hadn't been opened before." What should I do? I wrote to the seller, but who knows if it was even his fault. Also, there is no way to prove there was no disc in the box.
Old 08-22-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Just got an empty box from eBay!?!

Originally Posted by Nickofdoom
I bought a brand new The Prowler on Blu Ray last week, and it arrived on Thursday. I opened the package took out the Blu Ray box and put it on the counter until I was ready to watch it.
I just went to open the box to watch the movie, which was shrink wrapped and still had the security sticker on it, and it was empty! No disc at all! The shrink wrap was strange, thinner than normal, I remember thinking to myself as I was opening it "This shrink wrap feels odd, I hope it hadn't been opened before." What should I do? I wrote to the seller, but who knows if it was even his fault. Also, there is no way to prove there was no disc in the box.
Just call Blue Underground and tell them you bought it, shrink wrap and all, and you got an empty case. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.
Old 08-22-10, 08:03 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can request a replacement or refund from the seller and let them deal with blue underground or you can deal with blue underground.
Old 08-22-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Somebody is scamming somebody here. Wuther you are the second or the first to feel it is another question.

The Prowler is awesome btw.
Old 08-22-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
You can request a replacement or refund from the seller and let them deal with blue underground or you can deal with blue underground.
I predict with 90% accuracy that if he complains to the seller, they'll accuse you of trying to do a scam. If you even bother filing a dispute with paypal, all they have to show is that they sent something.

Just go straight to BU.
Old 08-22-10, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The Prowler is awesome btw.

I wouldn't know, I can't watch it
Old 08-22-10, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I predict with 90% accuracy that if he complains to the seller, they'll accuse you of trying to do a scam. If you even bother filing a dispute with paypal, all they have to show is that they sent something.

Just go straight to BU.
That's my guess too.

This sucks.
Old 08-22-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Imagine if you bought it at Best Buy or Big Lots I expect you would return it in a heartbeat.

The seller should stand behind the product so I would raise hell through ebay and if you paid with PayPal you can file a dispute (within 90 days).
Old 08-22-10, 09:09 PM

Well, I e-mailed the seller and Blue Underground, lets see if I hear back from either. If not I'll file a dispute with paypal and see where that goes.

Worst part is I checked all the stores around here and in Vegas last weekend and couldn't find a copy, and amazon and deepdiscount were temp. sold out, so ebay was a last resort. I was really looking forward to watching it too.
Old 08-22-10, 09:33 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A threat of negative feedback and opening a dispute at both ebay and paypal would surely get any serious seller to refund or replace your purchase.
Old 08-23-10, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

This does happen- I worked for Tower and had this happen to a few customers, and I once received an empty HD-DVD case from Inetvideo (they sent me a new one with no problem).
Old 08-23-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nickofdoom
Well, I e-mailed the seller and Blue Underground, lets see if I hear back from either. If not I'll file a dispute with paypal and see where that goes.

Worst part is I checked all the stores around here and in Vegas last weekend and couldn't find a copy, and amazon and deepdiscount were temp. sold out, so ebay was a last resort. I was really looking forward to watching it too.
Have you contacted Blue Underground? Just leave out where you bought it from.
Old 08-23-10, 06:32 PM

I contacted the seller and he said he'd ship out another one today, no problem. Hopefully this will go smoothly.
Old 08-24-10, 07:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I had it happen at least once with a DVD bought brand new at BB. Looked completely factory-sealed, so think it was a factory screw-up. Also once had a BD come with just the DVD at Target.
Old 08-24-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a dupe disc 1 in my LOTR set, in other words I didn't have the second disc of the movie. I had to fight with the girl at Target when I took it back. She said stuff like, "Well maybe you have two sets and you're keeping the second disc at home." To which I replied, "What the hell am I going to do with two copies of the first half of the movie and no second half?"

I'll admit I was getting pissed off and started to raise my voice but only because she was being stupid and unhelpful. If you're going to try and fight against helping a customer, that's fine but I expect at the very least a decent reason why or else 75% of the time I'm going to get pissed off and say why your reasons are all stupid.
Old 08-27-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I had a dupe disc 1 in my LOTR set, in other words I didn't have the second disc of the movie. I had to fight with the girl at Target when I took it back. She said stuff like, "Well maybe you have two sets and you're keeping the second disc at home." To which I replied, "What the hell am I going to do with two copies of the first half of the movie and no second half?"
I love how a store employee feels it's OK to accuse a customer of being a crook with no basis in fact.
Old 02-12-19, 08:47 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I received a package that had eBay postage on it. The package was folded empty cereal boxes in a poly envelope. Nothing else. I have no idea what this was. I have received all my eBay purchases. The only thing I can think of was I ordered some digital gift cards and they sent something to "track". But this came from San Jose and the seller was in Austin. I did have a cancelled GC purchase from someone in Los Angeles. Also, it was addressed to RESIDENT, not my name.

The address on the return label seems to match up with a "K & C Food Wholesale". I called the number for that, but they were closed for the day. It seemed to be a cell phone anyway. I then received a call back a few minutes later from another San Jose number asking if I called. I asked for the name on the return label and they said I had the wrong number. The name was Asian... the person who called me was Asian... I don't know...

Just a very odd situation. My wife thinks I was infected with some disease now.
Old 02-12-19, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
I received a package that had eBay postage on it. The package was folded empty cereal boxes in a poly envelope. Nothing else.
I guess they weren't something collectable, i.e. Star Wars?

Also, it was addressed to RESIDENT, not my name.
[...]
Yeah, that's...very...strange. I don't suppose you noticed any, err, white powder?

At the very least, I'd contact EBay. Maybe they can track it internally based on numbers on the label?
Old 02-12-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

This is how it begins... People getting weird, unsolicited packages in the mail.

Then three weeks later...

...your eyes turn yellow, your teeth sharpen, odd lesions form on your skin, and you begin to crave human flesh.
Old 02-12-19, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by thetao
I guess they weren't something collectable, i.e. Star Wars?
Collectable.... boxes? No... it was Honey Nut Cheerios.
Old 02-12-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I received a package that had eBay postage on it. The package was folded empty cereal boxes in a poly envelope. Nothing else. I have no idea what this was. I have received all my eBay purchases. The only thing I can think of was I ordered some digital gift cards and they sent something to "track". But this came from San Jose and the seller was in Austin. I did have a cancelled GC purchase from someone in Los Angeles. Also, it was addressed to RESIDENT, not my name.

The address on the return label seems to match up with a "K & C Food Wholesale". I called the number for that, but they were closed for the day. It seemed to be a cell phone anyway. I then received a call back a few minutes later from another San Jose number asking if I called. I asked for the name on the return label and they said I had the wrong number. The name was Asian... the person who called me was Asian... I don't know...

If you had a cancelled gift card order, it is possible the seller just shipped something so they wouldn't take a beating on their shipping scores with Ebay. They possibly could not find the item you bought, but had to ship someting so they get their "points", and then just refunded you the price you paid so you got your money back.
Old 02-12-19, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru
If you had a cancelled gift card order, it is possible the seller just shipped something so they wouldn't take a beating on their shipping scores with Ebay. They possibly could not find the item you bought, but had to ship someting so they get their "points", and then just refunded you the price you paid so you got your money back.
I asked for it to be cancelled.
Old 02-13-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Somebody is scamming somebody here. Wuther you are the second or the first to feel it is another question.

Not necessarily. I bought a Mad About You set once and it was missing one of the discs inside. Just a packaging error.
Old 02-23-19, 10:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the most annoying situation that buyers face after receiving delivery but eBay is a certified forum and you should talk with their customer support agent. They will definitely help you.
Old 02-24-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Not necessarily. I bought a Mad About You set once and it was missing one of the discs inside. Just a packaging error.
Yup. Thrift goods are complicated. Especially for small businesses. I have a lot of empathy for those situations. It’s one reason a reseller will only pay pennies on the dollar for their merchandise. Tho there are some sellers who will purposely sell an item like that and “play dumb” or ghost you if there is a problem.