Eureka -- "Stoned" -- 08/20/10

Old 08-20-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Eureka -- "Stoned" -- 08/20/10

Eureka 2

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Tensions between Carter and Grant over Allison peak, Henry woos his own wife and Zoe deals with a secret love as something begins turning townsfolk into stone.

Episode 7 of 20

Eureka was renewed for a 5th season earlier this week.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0100817syfy02/

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like there is 2 more episodes left this summer. There will also be a special standalone Christmas episode in December.
Old 08-20-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Eureka -- "Stoned" -- 08/20/10

Originally Posted by DJariya
Eureka was renewed for a 5th season earlier this week.
Awesome! This season has been really good.

I won't spoil anything, but regarding the ending to tonight's episode: Wow! I did not see that coming, but I like it.
Old 08-20-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Did it look like she has had work done on her face?
Old 08-21-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I won't spoil anything, but regarding the ending to tonight's episode: Wow! I did not see that coming, but I like it.
This is my first season watching this show. Can somebody clue me in on who that character is?

Loved this episode. The "She Blinded Me with Science" scene was great. Even though I'm new to the show, I already feel like I know these characters.
Old 08-21-10, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
This is my first season watching this show. Can somebody clue me in on who that character is?

Loved this episode. The "She Blinded Me with Science" scene was great. Even though I'm new to the show, I already feel like I know these characters.
I think she is a new character, as I've seen every episode. But I watch so many shows I could be wrong.
Old 08-21-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

She works for a shadowy organization and nearly killed Kevin and is responsible for the death of someone that Henry loved if i remember correctly. Seems that she was a shrink our counselor during season one.
Old 08-21-10, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Axeramm
She works for a shadowy organization and nearly killed Kevin and is responsible for the death of someone that Henry loved if i remember correctly. Seems that she was a shrink our counselor during season one.
Ah, I think I remember her now, but her face does look quite different now.
Old 08-21-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was expecting Nathan.
Old 08-21-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recognized Debrah Farentino immediately. It's funny because I think of her character from time to time and for some reason I was thinking about her during this episode. They dropped her a long time ago and I sure never expected to see her again. I'm glad they didn't show her name at the beginning of the episode.

IMDb has not yet been updated to show her being in this episode.

This could be good.
Old 08-21-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this show any good? I was thinking of watching it only because Felicia Day is joining the cast, but I watched the first 2 eps when it first aired & they were pretty terrible. I tried watching Sanctuary & that was freakin' horrible.
Old 08-21-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Is this show any good? I was thinking of watching it only because Felicia Day is joining the cast, but I watched the first 2 eps when it first aired & they were pretty terrible. I tried watching Sanctuary & that was freakin' horrible.
There's nothing on her website or IMDb about this. If she's your only interest, then I would say don't bother jumping in now. Not because the show is too complicated to pick up on, but I don't think anyone who's not into the characters would give a damn at this point.
Old 08-21-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jumped into the show this season after only seeing a couple first season episodes. I thought it was a good jumping in point as they started a new storyline with the time travel stuff. I've been able to follow and pick up on most things so far (except I had to google Debrah Farentino's character after last night's show). I don't know if your assessment of the show being "pretty terrible" at the start will change, as the show seems more or less like I recall from what little I saw of the first season. It's turn off your mind sci-fi with light humor. It's not "must see" for me, but I enjoy it when its on.

BTW, Felicia Day did confirm she was going to appear on "several" episodes of Eureka during her interview with The Nerdist podcast. But none had been filmed yet, so it's likely she won't be on until next year, maybe.
Old 08-21-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ Yeah I jumped in this season also after only seeing 2-3 1st season episodes. I do own all the DVD sets that have been released. It was really easy to pick up on this season with the entirely new arc, plus I love all the characters. It's light hearted and quirky science fiction with some touches of humor. If you did not care for the few you saw, then don't bother watching it for 1 person who isn't even a series regular. Plus, we are already almost halfway done with season 4
Old 08-21-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
There's nothing on her website or IMDb about this. If she's your only interest, then I would say don't bother jumping in now. Not because the show is too complicated to pick up on, but I don't think anyone who's not into the characters would give a damn at this point.
She's filming the episodes now (she has posted set-pics), she said its an "on-going" character she is playing, that I think has 6 eps right now. And I didn't mean I was going to start watching the show when Felicia came on, I meant I was going to get the DVD releases & watch it from the beginning, but I'm not sure if the show is worth getting into like I said, bases on what I saw of the first 2 eps & other Sci-Fi station TV series.
Old 08-21-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

I meant I was going to get the DVD releases & watch it from the beginning, but I'm not sure if the show is worth getting into like I said, bases on what I saw of the first 2 eps & other Sci-Fi station TV series.
I like the show, and the only other Syfy show I've watched is Battlestar Galactica. Sanctuary looked like crap.

I think Eureka improved over the course of the first season. It's primarily lighthearted and comedic, and entertaining without ever being "great." It's more akin to USA shows like Psych or Monk than other SyFy shows (with the possible exception of Warehouse 13).

Note that one thing Eureka has never handled well is the season-long arcs. They tend to fizzle out instead of ending with a bang. However, taken on an episode-by-episode basis, the show is quite good.
Old 08-21-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

Every episode of Eureka plays out in a predictable fashion, which makes it fine for the low expectations I bring to summer time viewing. But if it had to compete for my time and attention in the fall, I wouldn't watch it. (Smallville is my piece of crap, Friday night sci-fi show the rest of the year.)

If you intend to watch the series on DVD, don't expect for even a moment that the best episode of Eureka will be as good as a mediocre episode of BSG.

Saying Eureka is a like the sci-fi version of a USA show is a pretty good description, and there's a reason all those USA shows are presented for "watch it and forget about it" summer viewing.
Old 08-22-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I was expecting Nathan.
Keep watching...
Old 08-22-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheKing
Keep watching...
Really? Do you know something because that would be awesome (I hardly ever use that overused word).
Old 08-22-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Sanctuary looked like crap.
Sanctuary was very good for the second half of Season 1 and the first few episodes of Season 2. Otherwise it's not so hot.

Too bad because they seemed to have found their rhythm and interesting story arcs and then just pissed it all away by killing off or underusing various characters and dropping their best villains and story lines. Even the two part Season 2 finale was nothing compared to the two part finale of the first season.
Old 08-22-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I like the show, and the only other Syfy show I've watched is Battlestar Galactica. Sanctuary looked like crap.

I think Eureka improved over the course of the first season. It's primarily lighthearted and comedic, and entertaining without ever being "great." It's more akin to USA shows like Psych or Monk than other SyFy shows (with the possible exception of Warehouse 13).

Note that one thing Eureka has never handled well is the season-long arcs. They tend to fizzle out instead of ending with a bang. However, taken on an episode-by-episode basis, the show is quite good.
Thanks Jay G, that is the kind of info I was looking for. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, I'm not really into lighthearted stuff, Monk is nauseating & I've never been into self-contained series, I like linear progressing stories. I'll try to rent the first season just to give it a shot because of my love of Felicia Day.
Old 08-22-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Great episode. Again, being that this is the 1st season I decided to watch this weekly, it was a perfect season to get into without needing alot of backstory.

The "She Blinded Me with Science" skit at the end with Henry and Grace was great. Very cute. I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship plays out. It's going to be heartbreaking if they manage to fix things and go back to old Eureka, which would wipe out their relationship.

Finally, it was good to see Jack have some balls to take the plunge with Allison. Glad they didn't play up a love triangle thing with Dr. Grant.

I had to chuckle when Jo almost gagged after seeing Zane and Zoe together
Old 08-22-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks Jay G, that is the kind of info I was looking for. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, I'm not really into lighthearted stuff, Monk is nauseating & I've never been into self-contained series, I like linear progressing stories. I'll try to rent the first season just to give it a shot because of my love of Felicia Day.
I strongly suggest viewing the episodes online at Syfy.com rather than buying them. Especially if you are not into the long form story arcs.
Old 08-22-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by emachine12
I strongly suggest viewing the episodes online at Syfy.com rather than buying them. Especially if you are not into the long form story arcs.
They aren't on SyFy's website or Hulu.com. They only keeps the last 4-5 episodes of the current season for cable shows like this.
Old 08-22-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
They aren't on SyFy's website or Hulu.com. They only keeps the last 4-5 episodes of the current season for cable shows like this.
Blast! Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-22-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
Really? Do you know something because that would be awesome (I hardly ever use that overused word).
Spoiler:
Nathan had a brief cameo in the preview for next week's episode so it seems like he'll be coming back eventually

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.