Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ink (Jamin Winans, 2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ink (Jamin Winans, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ink (Jamin Winans, 2009)

Anyone here seen this? Low budget, no known actors in it, possibly not many professional actors even, completely indie. But considering that the look of the film and the effects are impressive.

Finally saw it this week and I found it damned impressive for what it is. A pretty sophisticated story for this type of film. I liked it. I was surprised how much I wound up liking it by the end of the film.

It's worth checking out. It's not for everyone, but I liked it and think others will too if they check it out. It's really something for such a low budget film. I'll be watching for more films in the future from this guy for sure.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZBGeErufQdY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZBGeErufQdY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

The people who made it could not get it picked up, and it showed up on P2P networks(kind of a story at the time as it built a fanbase for the movie), and even free on Hulu, and a lot of the people who saw it bought the Blu and DVD. Hundreds of thousands bought it actually, probably more by now. It prompted this letter from the brothers who made it:

Dear Fans and Friends,

Over the weekend something pretty extraordinary happened. Ink got ripped off. Someone bit torrented the movie (we knew this would happen) and they posted it on every pirate site out there. What we didn’t expect was that within 24 hours Ink would blow up. Ink became the number 1 most downloaded movie on several sites having been downloaded somewhere between 150,000 to 200,000 times as far as we can tell. Knowing there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it, we’ve embraced the piracy and are just happy Ink is getting unprecedented exposure.

As a result, Ink is now ranked #16 on IMDb’s movie meter and is currently one of the top 20 most popular movies in the world.

This all started as a result of the completely underground buzz that you’ve each helped us create. We’ve had no distributor, no real advertising and yet the word of mouth that you’ve generated has made the film blow up as soon as it became available worldwide. So many of you came to see the movie multiple times, bringing friends and family and many of you have bought the DVD and Blu-ray from us. All of this built up and built up and suddenly it exploded.

We don’t know exactly where this will all lead, but the exposure is unquestionably a positive thing.

Ink hits Netflix, Blockbuster, iTunes and many more tomorrow! Remember to get your signed copies, t-shirts and posters at the Ink Store.

Thank you so much for the constant love and support.

Jamin and Kiowa
Double Edge Films
You can watch it on Hulu -

The maker's site:

Hard to sum the movie up as to plot. There are four positive reviews on RT, but as is too often the case, the admins have the page screwed up.

"There's a rapacious DIY showmanship at work here reminiscent of the calling-card chutzpah Robert Rodriguez and Peter Jackson showed in scrappier, pre-blockbuster days. " - Robert Abele, Los Angeles Times

"As action-packed as his film is, Winans is in no hurry to tell his tale. His pace is deliberate." - Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

"Has all the ambition of a Terry Gilliam or Jean-Pierre Jeunet epic. " - Luke Y. Thompson, L.A. Weekly
Old 08-13-10, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Ink (Jamin Winans, 2009)

wow....I think I heard about this but..wow. Seems like the budget is smaller than I'd expect from the premise but that doesn't stop it from easily having a visual flare to it either. I'll check it out. Thanks, bro.
Old 08-13-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a very intelligent film, I think you'll like it.

Might take two viewings to see how intelligent, or maybe at what a high level, the exploration/examination of the human psyche that is going on in the plot is.
Old 08-13-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my favorite films of last year. The whole last 25 minutes is pure awesome.