Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lethal Weapon 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lethal Weapon 2

I bought the Lethal Weapon 4 Film Favorite DVD a couple days ago and so far I have watched 1 and 2. I enjoyed the first film but remember thinking "is that it?" I thought it left a lot to be desired in some areas. However I thought the second film takes everything that was great from 1 and improves it.

Anyways I was just wondering is the general consensus that 2>1 or is it the other way around? Still have not seen 3 or 4 yet.
Old 08-12-10, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lethal Weapon 2

Lethal Weapon 2 blows away the first movie. It is the peak of the franchise. Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 are screwball comedies compared to Lethal Weapon 2. I like them all, but Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 are just pure fluff - almost cartoonish to some degree.
Old 08-12-10, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Lethal Weapon 1 is gritty, fun, very good performances, escapist entertainment and the definitive movie in the franchise and what all other buddy-cop movies strived to be ever since. the rest in the franchise are just plain silly.
Old 08-12-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lethal Weapon is just solid.
Lethal Weapon 2 is funnier and more action-packed than the original (if not as intense), but I hate the way the film treats the Patsy Kensit character. It's totally chauvinistic.
Spoiler:
Riggs finds her in a supermarket, she spends most of her time playfully resisting, then has sex with her, and she's killed -- off screen! -- to motivate him.
The rest of it is fine and I like the idea that they're up against someone with diplomatic immunity, but this one thing really bugs the hell out of me.
Lethal Weapon 3 might've been mediocre, but Rene Russo elevates it from a C to a B- all by herself. Great character.
Lethal Weapon 4 lacks the luster and energy of the others, but I thought it was fun. If you're still a fan of the series through 3 I can't imagine your goodwill would abruptly stop short at 4. And the movie has this way (for me, maybe not for others) of making some really silly stories work, like the shark in the boat, and Murtaugh adopting an Asian family or whatever.
Old 08-12-10, 01:09 PM
Banned

Lethal Weapon is a great film. Don't like the fight sequence with Mel and Busey at the end though. Stupid.

Lethal Weapon 2 is absolutely a terrific sequel, but I like part 1 more.

Lethal Weapon 3 is god-awful.

And u couldn't make a worse Leathal Weapon film than part 4. Anyone who thinks Part 4 is a good film.......I feel sorry for. The WHOLE film felt improvised and badly I might add. It's one of those films that I actually had to turn my head away from the screen because of total embarassment for the franchise.

Btw, isn't that dvd with all 4 films together the director cuts? All the extra footage from parts 1 and 2 is crap. Stick with the theatrical cuts for parts 1 and 2. Parts 3 and 4 you can set on fire.

Last edited by pbishop69; 08-12-10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 01:14 PM

IMHO,
Lethal Weapon 1, set the standard for buddy cop movies. Great movie.
Lethal Weapon 2, the silly showdown at the end, just seemed too forced.
Lethal Weapon 3, bringing in a female version of Mel's character - still not certain if it was brilliant or just to make certain portions of hollywood happy (like Laura Shuller Donner (the producer)).
Lethal Weapon 4, come one!!, Jet Li in an american movie, playing a villian (if memory serves me right) the first time in his career. He was brilliant, they had to have him slow down his punches and moves, cause the american camera crew couldn't capture it on film. The end, very corny, but a fitting end to a great movie series.
But as I said, just my opinion.
Old 08-12-10, 03:59 PM
Banned

My 3 favorite cop/buddy movies are LETHAL WEAPON, 48 HRS and MIDNIGHT RUN. There hasn't been a cop/buddy come out in the last 20 years that comes even close to those 3 films. The next closest would be LETHAL WEAPON 2. That's it. And don't say COP OUT with Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan. I didn't even see that film and I know its probably one of the worst films of this genre.
Old 08-12-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

The bomb on the toilet in Lethal Weapon 2 is probably the most memorable scene in the whole series.
Old 08-12-10, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt Lethal Weapon 2 edged out Lethal Weapon IMO. I must admit I enjoyed all the films though. Gibson and Glover were terrific together! And lets not forget Joe Pesci-
Old 08-13-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The bomb on the toilet in Lethal Weapon 2 is probably the most memorable scene in the whole series.
"The "bomb in the toilet" sequence was used as an early teaser trailer for the movie. The trailer ended with the toilet landing on Murtaugh's car and the voice-over announcer saying "They're not taking any more crap!"
- IMDB

I think i actually remember seeing this trailer. Jesus I feel old.
Old 08-13-10, 03:01 PM

Lethal Weapon is a legitimately solid flick, with two really fine performances and tons of charisma. I think Glover/Gibson have amazing chemistry.

Lethal Weapon 2 is a hell of a lot of fun and pretty good sequel.

3 and 4 are enjoyable, but only because, for me, they earned it with the first 2 films. They aren't very good movies and some aspects are annoying or laughable. It's just fun to see these guys together on screen. The ending of 4 is extremely corny, but it still gets me sometimes.

The original Lethal Weapon is one of the best 80s action flicks, easily. Up there with Die Hard and Predator.