Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Haven -- "Ball and Chain" -- 08/06/10

Haven

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Duke's life is in danger after Audrey and Nathan link his lover to cases in which men succumbed to rapid aging after sleeping with her.

Episode 5 of 13
Old 08-07-10, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Haven -- "Ball and Chain" -- 08/06/10

The story was interesting and would have made a great double feature with Warehouse 13's "Age Before Beauty." With that said, the ending was weaksauce and really left me disappointed.

It was like the writers just gave up on a proper resolution and came up with a very poor solution. I'll still watch this as I know every episode can't be a winner.
Old 08-08-10, 09:40 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm still watching, but agree that this week's episode was a let-down. Started off promising, but like you said, kind of fell flat.
Old 08-08-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to move to Nova Scotia.
Old 08-10-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Did this one have the same story as all the others? I fell asleep and don't really want to watch it again.
Old 08-10-10, 10:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I jumped ship on this show... might have stuck it out if it were a shitty miniseries like "Persons Unknown" instead of a shitty regular series.
Old 08-10-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great Cast. Great Setting.

Pretty weak stories, but just good enough to keep me watching. The "nothing phases anyone" posture of all the characters kind of bugs me. I really like the newspaper guys, they add a light comedic touch to the show.

Emily Rose is a TV star waiting to happen and I don't get the Balfour hate. I think he always does a good job ... at playing a douche bag.
Old 08-10-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
Great Cast. Great Setting.

Pretty weak stories, but just good enough to keep me watching. The "nothing phases anyone" posture of all the characters kind of bugs me. I really like the newspaper guys, they add a light comedic touch to the show.

Emily Rose is a TV star waiting to happen and I don't get the Balfour hate. I think he always does a good job ... at playing a douche bag.
I agree about everything but the part about it being good enough to keep watching. It's the same flavor of show that all of Syfy's summer programs end up being, namely a non-serialized show that shies away from romantic relationships and character development. The mystery surrounding her origins is so lame as to be distracting. It gets name-checked once or twice each episode like a casual throw-in reference, but I have grave doubts that there is much to it. Syfy has shown they do not want heavily serialized shows, which means they do not want me as a viewer. Standalone episodes week after week only work when the writing is incredible, and this is not it.

This was my last episode watching to see if the story would develop. A shame, as the casting was perfect and Rose deserves better material.
Old 08-11-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Syfy has shown they do not want heavily serialized shows, which means they do not want me as a viewer. Standalone episodes week after week only work when the writing is incredible, and this is not it.
I probably would not watch, if there wasn't a summer drought. Even if this show was serialized it still would be of questionable quality. They are trying too hard to make this a gothic mystery and they should be trying harder to fit events into the real world.

The ending with the woman chained to the lighthouse was a feeble attempt to create an iconic image. All I could think about is what if the food guy on the boat from the previous week stopped at the lighthouse and released her. They could form a super evil alliance. Now we have a show.

I hate the endings but I like everything up to that point.
Old 08-11-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
shies away from romantic relationships and character development.
Kinda like the typical Syfy viewer 'eh?