Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: So...
... I saw it and I loved it.
23.08%
... I saw it and I liked it.
30.77%
... I saw it and I hated it.
0%
... I plan on seeing it one day (DVD/BD/TV).
7.69%
... I have not seen it and would rather watch "Dance With Me" a trillion times.
34.62%
... I'll only see it if twikoff likes it.
3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-10, 06:20 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Release Date: Friday, August 6, 2010

Official Site: http://www.stepupmovie.com

Director: Jon M. Chu

Cast: Rick Malambri, Adam Sevani, Sharni Vinson, Alyson Stoner, Keith “Remedy” Stallworth, Kendra Andrews, Stephen “Twitch” Boss

Synopsis: New York’s intense street dancing underground comes alive in eye-popping Digital 3D as a tight-knit group of street dancers (RICK MALAMBRI, SHARNI VINSON) team up with Moose (ADAM SEVANI) and find themselves pitted against the world’s best hip hop dancers in a high-stakes showdown that will change their lives forever.

Rotten Tomatoes: 50% Rotten (As of 7:00pm EST || Reviews Counted: 73 || Fresh: 37 || Rotten: 36)
Old 08-06-10, 06:26 PM

Re: "Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

So I saw it and liked it.

The dancing was great, the acting was not... but I didn't see it for the acting.

My wife and I saw it in 3D and the 3D was pretty good. This was the first movie that my wife had seen in 3D and she thought that the parts where they reached for the audience that the dancer's arms looked really skinny.

All in all a good movie (Dancing: A; Acting: D; Overall: B-).

Oh, and I haven't seen the first two... and I am a fan of SYTYCD.
Old 08-06-10, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, I have to ask, what's the deal with the dancing in this movie? All the ads made it look like they had slowed the frame rate, or cut frames out, or did some other stupid thing in post that made everyone's movements wholly unnatural. I would never see the movie in a million years anyway, but that effect (whatever it was) hurt my head when I saw it in previews, so I was curious.
Old 08-06-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd guess it's used to drag out the 3D effects.
Old 08-06-10, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but what is it exactly? It's not slow motion. It looks like they desynchronized the two eyes of the 3D image.
Old 08-06-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So yes I saw it in 3-d (don't ask) and the best way I can explain the effect is its almost like they ran the moves through an "auto-tuner"...
Old 08-07-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While the central romantic storylines (and acting) were of the basic movie-of-the-week variety, the dancing was pretty solid, and even some of the minor character backstory footage was used to convey what dancing means to these characters who express themselves primarily through their dancing. The movie featured a handful of the dancers from past few seasons of "So You Think You Can Dance", some of them got a lot of dance-time, others got cameos.

I opted not to see it in 3D, but it was plainly obvious which bits were aimed for 3D, but it didn't really enhance even the featured dance bits.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+ (mainly for the dancing)
Old 08-07-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know why people are so embarrassed when reviewing this film. This is a genre film, just like if someone was reviewing a martial arts film - I have rarely heard someone say "the action was awesome but the acting was awful" for a Chow Yun Fat or Jet Li film (which usually do have bad acting when they arent cast in their art house action films. I dont know why for anyone that liked the film, they have to just let everyone know the acting wasnt Oscar worthy. There is no need to say anything about that because this is a teen/mtv/disney/nicelodeon type film.

Step Up 3D was an awesome amazing film. I'm not kidding but this turned out to be one of my favorite movies of the year along with Inception, Gallants, Magadheera, and Kick-Ass. I probably loved it also due to seeing the movie in Times Square where everyone was cheering and clapping during the movie - this is the type of film where that type of interaction enhances the film along with the 3D.

I thought Step Up 3D was sort of like a dance version of District B13 - this movie didnt have great acting but thats not what held the movie back. It was the energy, flow, action, and actors with heart that made the movie succeed - and that is what Step Up 3D is all about.

I didnt even think the acting was bad, the main guy Luke was surprisingly not annoying. I expected him to be an annoying cross between Ashton Kutcher and Channing Tatum. The only strange thing about him is that he didnt dance in the movie (hes sort of like a player-coach). Why couldnt they find a hot actor that could dance? Strange. But the main girl lead was great - good actress and good dancer. She is hot too, but when watching her, I couldnt stop thinking that she looked like a female double of Joseph Levitt - they could play brother and sister. And the main other two leads - the Jewish couple - were great as well - they at least could act and dance.

The 3D really enhanced the dance off scenes (the action scenes). There was some really amazing powerful dances in this flick - that robot guy is worth it for price of admission.

I'vr got to say this is my second favorite 3d movie after Avatar. I wish Hollywood did more regular live action/drama/comedies in 3D, because I cant really stand watching cartoon after cartoon in 3D - it is just not interesting to me anymore.

Is this movie playing in 2D in theaters anywhere?

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-07-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-07-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it (in 3D of course) and thought it was alright. The dance sequences were a blast (especially the 2nd dance battle with the water) but the script was horrible, which is par for the course for Step Up. However the acting was definitely a new low, which is saying something. Some of the worst 'acting' in a major motion picture I've seen in a long time - the girl's brother especially. Also, while the 3D was great during dance sequences, the hammy use of it in other spots was painful (the Icee scene, bubbles flying at us, stuff in the foreground for no good reason). Overall if you like this franchise or SYTYCD it's worth seeing but it's definitely not as much fun as the second one IMO.
Old 08-07-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Saw it (in 3D of course) and thought it was alright. The dance sequences were a blast (especially the 2nd dance battle with the water) but the script was horrible, which is par for the course for Step Up. However the acting was definitely a new low, which is saying something. Some of the worst 'acting' in a major motion picture I've seen in a long time - the girl's brother especially. Also, while the 3D was great during dance sequences, the hammy use of it in other spots was painful (the Icee scene, bubbles flying at us, stuff in the foreground for no good reason). Overall if you like this franchise or SYTYCD it's worth seeing but it's definitely not as much fun as the second one IMO.
Pretty much spot on for me as well... Great dancing, good cheese, horrible plot (basically breakin' 2) and even worse acting. 3D fun during the dance scenes, but wow at other times. I do have to say, the robot guy was fucking awesome and would love to see a spin off of just him.
Old 08-07-10, 10:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

This was a fascinating film to watch. The visuals were mostly amazing, although there were a few shots where the director pushed the 3d too hard at the expense of the choreography. The story itself is so awful and ridiculous I should hate it, but somehow loved it. It's deliriously absurd at times, and I probably laughed harder during this movie than I did at many comedies I've seen this year. I got the feeling the filmmakers were saying, "We know this movie is silly and predictable, let's just go balls-out with the formula and hold nothing back." Occasionally they even wink at the audience to let them know they're in on the joke (the whole ice cream truck scene). Overall, enjoyable as hell if you like dance and can put yourself in the right mindset.
Old 08-07-10, 10:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yes, but what is it exactly? It's not slow motion. It looks like they desynchronized the two eyes of the 3D image.
There is a TV commercial where at the end of the Trailer, it shows the guy moving his head around but his body does not move...and it freaks me the fuck out. Everything seems very unnatural.
Old 08-07-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it again with my wife this time (I saw it first by myself to confirm that it actually was a good dance movie). Great the second time as well! I also rented the second Step It Up earlier in the day. While it was entertaining too, the second film is like an amateur film compared to the third one. In the second film, the movie moves along slowly, there's barely any dancing, and the few dance numbers that they have is in nowhere in comparison to the amazing dance choreography in the third film. I don't remember the last time where a second sequel was better than the first and third films!

I guess this is my new Bring It On guilty pleasure-type film!
Old 08-07-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Movie looks like crap, plotwise (per usual) but this has me sold:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VTW1iUn3Bg&hl=en_US&fs=1?hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VTW1iUn3Bg&hl=en_US&fs=1?hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

I just wish that by the next movie they just drop any attempts at a lame-ass plot and just deliver 90 minutes of non-stop dancing.
Old 08-07-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The robot dude is worth it for the price of admission.
Old 08-07-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by toddly6666
The robot dude is worth it for the price of admission.
He's totally badass in the clip I posted. Does he get plenty of screentime or just one scene?
Old 08-08-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
He's totally badass in the clip I posted. Does he get plenty of screentime or just one scene?
He's in about 3 dance scenes and he's the best in whatever he does...he doesn't get too much screen time and barely any dialogue...
Old 08-08-10, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by toddly6666
He's in about 3 dance scenes and he's the best in whatever he does...he doesn't get too much screen time and barely any dialogue...
Shame. But I'm still in for this. Hopefully they get wise and bring back dancers like him for the fourth and ditch anything resembling a plot.

This was shot in 3D rather than converted in post, right? If so, how well was the 3D employed?
Old 08-08-10, 11:28 PM

There's a scene in the final battle where Robot and Moose do it together... and when the music transitions to that killer move, it sounds like their necks break (a really shattering noise) and they do it in sync... WOW!

This was shot in 3D rather than converted in post, right? If so, how well was the 3D employed?
The 3D in this scene was sick! It worked really well. Not sure how they "did" it... but it was cool.
Old 08-08-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome. I'll try to go see it tomorrow after I run some errands.
Old 08-09-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome. I'll try to go see it tomorrow after I run some errands.
You should like it since u are curious about the film. Most people that diss this film are people totally against the idea of these types of movies existing. I havent heard too many negative reviews in here because no one is interested in seeing a really good teen dance movie.

The 3D in this film, especially during the battle scenes, were sick!
Old 08-09-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm interested because I enjoyed the first movie. It's the second one that turned me off to franchise since they tried to push the story (what little there was) ahead of the dancing. I go see a dance movie, I want the dancing to come first.

So I'm definitely in for this one.
Old 08-09-10, 12:09 AM

If you like Robot... go to the 0:40 mark...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9nkv4z6-aE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9nkv4z6-aE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-09-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hell, yes! This is my kind of movie and I can't wait 'til I see it!
Old 08-09-10, 03:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

as I had noted to a friend I wasn't seeing this movie for the acting or plot for that matter which was rather predicatable. However the 3D effects - I thought - were amazing! The other highlight is the soundmix, if you have a theatre that has upgraded to Dolby Digital 7.1, hear it there - it's sonically more impressive than Toy Story 3's 7.1 mix... by a mile. All in all, though and as it's been pointed out by others, the amazing choreography is what makes the movie fun and very exciting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.