Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Burn Notice -- "Center of the Storm" -- 08/05/10

Burn Notice

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Michael poses as a hit man in order to protect a witness whose testimony is crucial to stopping criminal activity.

Episode 9 of 18

3 more left this summer.
Old 08-06-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- "Center of the Storm" -- 08/05/10

This episode made no sense.

Why would the FBI ask Micheal for help? If it was such an important witness, the US Government couldn't spare a few guys?

Why wouldn't Fiona give up the bible code? Wasn't Micheal's goal to exonerate Jesse? And thats what would've happened.

Why did Micheal let the hitman go? He had confessed to 2 murders.

And now they all keep CB's on and handy?

D
Old 08-06-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice to see the guy who played Sgt. Basilone on "The Pacific" getting some work.
Old 08-06-10, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich
This episode made no sense.

Why would the FBI ask Micheal for help? If it was such an important witness, the US Government couldn't spare a few guys?

Why wouldn't Fiona give up the bible code? Wasn't Micheal's goal to exonerate Jesse? And thats what would've happened.

Why did Micheal let the hitman go? He had confessed to 2 murders.

And now they all keep CB's on and handy?

D
Not necessarily disagreeing with you on these, but to give some possible explanations (and I'm stretching on a few)

- The FBI thing was a bit of a reach, but I think it was about specific guys asking for help as they were going to be suspended (as opposed to the FBI in general asking for help). Still can't see FBI folk doing this, and if the FBI can find Michael, why can't his enemies? I think the sell job here (by the writers of the show) is the FBI guys wanted to save their proverbial asses and knew Michael would see some value in a future favor.

- I think Fiona didn't give up the Bible because she knew it would be betraying Michael despite the end goal being met (in other words the ends don't justify the means)

- No idea why he let the guy go.... maybe he looked into his soul and thought he was a generally good guy? OK I can't think of anything!

- I think Michael tipped Sam when he grabbed the antenna when he was being abducted by the hitman. Seeing as Sam can seemingly acquire anything in a 1 day period, the CB thing didn't bother me too much.

The story arc is getting a little convoluted and I really hope they start simplifying it a bit. I like the Jesse dynamic, but the other stuff is a bit of a mess right now.
Old 08-06-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The FBI thing was a cheat. They needed somebody impressive for the strongarm bit at the end and wrote something lazy. I admit that.

It's not just about betraying Michael. It would be about not only betraying him but undermining his goal of stopping the organization long term, perhaps permanently. The goal is to stop the organization and to take care of Jesse if possible, not the other way around. Fiona might have misgivings about the priority list, but it's Michael's call.

The CB thing is so petty a complaint it's really silly, within the universe of the show where any of them can get anything at no notice, can armor a vehicle with an hour and a half of prep time, etc. I think it's just common sense to go to CB if you need mobile communication in a non-cell environment. If they had hit us with some ridiculous go up 3 channels each message code Smokey and the Bandit style with no prior set up, that would have pissed me off. They didn't do that.

With all of that said, the way the show (within the show, not necessarily in the promos) is selling this meet up with Simon as some sort of Michael mindfuck worries me. I'm not sure they're up to pulling that off given this episode.
Old 08-06-10, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
With all of that said, the way the show (within the show, not necessarily in the promos) is selling this meet up with Simon as some sort of Michael mindfuck worries me. I'm not sure they're up to pulling that off given this episode.
They certainly did seem to build that up quite a bit... I hope they don't go with a Silence of the Lambs type vibe.

The show works best when it doesn't take itself too seriously, it seems like they are heading toward a serious/darker angle with that storyline (who knows maybe they won't)
Old 08-07-10, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was nice to see the "Hitman with the heart of gold" trope used. I was getting tired of the hookers.
Old 08-07-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm really digging this season, but every time I watch one of these I can't help but think the intro is woefully outdated. I think it needs a facelift. Keep the "spies are a buncha bitchy little girls" and the final shot of Michael behind the wall but change everything else up.
Old 08-07-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

It's not hard to go with the FBI guys needing help. He's dealt with Lane & Harris in the past so it's not a stretch. Fiona not giving up the bible was fine, also. She has no idea what Vaughn is up to and no reason to turn it over. And letting the hitter go, Michael understood that with all the precautions Cole took not to get other people killed, he wasn't into his job. Besides, people like that turn into assets down the line.

Aren't you glad his brother hasn't shown up this season?!
Old 08-07-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Aren't you glad his brother hasn't shown up this season?!
Great. Now he's going to show up. Do you shout to a pitcher on the mound that he has a perfect game, too?