Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Avatar: The Last Airbender Spinoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avatar: The Last Airbender Spinoff

The creators of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” say that the new spinoff series “The Legend of Korra” will be more mature than the original show, but will still have the same sense of fun and adventure.

Nickelodeon, the network behind the original show, today announced that it will air the “Avatar” spinoff series “The Legend of Korra” (a working title) starting next year.

The first series took place in a world in which supernatural “benders” have the ability to manipulate the elements of air, earth, fire and water, and focused on Aang, a young airbender who turned out to be the Avatar, a person capable of controlling all the elements. The new series takes place 70 years later in the same world and follows the new Avatar, a teen girl named Korra who has learned to bend earth, water and fire and seeks to master air under the tutelage of Aang’s son, Tenzin.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/...e-new-spinoff/
Old 08-05-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Spinoff

Saw this last week, didn't think to start a thread here. Ever since we dumped cable and went to Netflix, we don't really keep up much with current shows.

I'm really excited to see this, they created such a rich world of possibilities, it would be a shame to not explore it further, and it's good to see them do it with a new Avatar.
Old 08-05-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh joy! Avatar was amazing, so I'm down with anything these guys do.
Old 04-29-12, 12:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone been watching this? It's great! It has the feel of Avatar, but with a whole new (or almost wholly new) set of characters. They've done a great job of showing how time has passed and how dynamics have changed since the last series. It's only four episodes in but so far it's on track to be as good the original series.
Old 04-29-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

I've been watching and enjoying the hell out of it. It's weird that J.K. SImmons is Tensin. Even knowing that before hand it doesn't really sound like him doing the voice.

Anyone though for a bit in the last episode that the
Spoiler:
water bender ambassador (or whatever he was) was actually the villain in diguise?
There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way. And I get the funny feeling the lovely Ms. Sato
Spoiler:
is actually an Equalist.
Old 04-29-12, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the same thing.

Spoiler:
I figured that was the obvious reason the his face is being hidden.

Its been great so far.
Old 04-30-12, 09:49 AM

I've been loving the Legend of Korra. Everything about this show is just top-notch.
Old 07-11-12, 11:34 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Nick announced Season 2 coming in 2013.

Nickelodeon orders second season of 'The Legend of Korra

It’s official: The Legend continues! Nickelodeon has picked up a second season of the animated adventure series The Legend of Korra, EW has learned. After averaging 3.8 million viewers for Season 1, Book 1, which concluded June 23, the Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel received an order for 26 more episodes (which presumably will be divided into two parts called Books 3 and 4.)

The show is already set to return in 2013 with the premiere of Season 1, Book 2 (which consists of 14 episodes, finishing off the original 26-episode order), as 17-year-old chosen one Korra (voiced by Janet Varney) has now become a fully realized Avatar.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/11/le...second-season/
Old 07-11-12, 11:52 PM
Banned

Hah, I hope they have the story to back that up. They clearly just treated Book 1 as a longer version of the mini-series that was originally ordered (complete with a neatly tied-up end) and hell, she's already the Avatar! I imagine it'll be a bit difficult to come up with a new villain and 40 episodes worth of new story.

At least it'll look good.
Old 07-12-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that Nick's off my D* lineup, however temporarily, I'm really regretting not keeping the HD first season on my DVR.

It's been a gorgeous looking show and a good ride so far.
Old 07-12-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I liked Legend of Korra a lot. I was worried that I would be disappointed because I loved Avatar: The Last Airbender so much.

Actually, the one thing I was disappointed about with Legend of Korra is that it wrapped up the conflict so quickly. Hopefully the rest of the series will adopt a more leisurely pace. The great thing about the original series, IMO, is that it took the time to have character-development episodes that only minimally advanced the plot.
Old 07-12-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah Amon was a great villain and I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of him. Overall the show was pretty well done. Hopefully with a larger episode order they can get into some more long-form story telling.
Old 07-12-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

They handled Amon's departure with enough ambiguity that they can say his teary expression wasn't accepting his death at his brother's hands but rather that he was forced to kill his brother. So I'm sure they can bring him back.

Hopefully now that they know the show will be longer, the pacing won't be so awkward (my only issue with an otherwise great show).

It's a shame Paramount doesn't like to release Nick shows on BD. This show looked great in HD.
Old 07-15-12, 03:25 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Crunchyroll has all the Legend of Korra stuff from Comic-Con. Spoilers for Season 2, artwork and video from the Legend of Korra panel.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...egend-of-korra