Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Manufactured on Demand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Manufactured on Demand?

As a huge Survivor fan, I was excited by the news that Survivor Africa and Marquesas dvd sets showed up on Amazon for pre-orders. However, I am puzzled by the description:

DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com

Does this mean Amazon burns copies onto dvd-rs? I can easily do this myself with itunes. I want an official set. However, the description mentions bonus features not seen on tv:

Survivor IV: Marquesas comes to DVD for the first time with so much more than you saw before. With this special-edition DVD set you can relive all of the original series' episodes, and rejoice to see and hear many bonus features never shown on TV. Replay the most memorable and outrageous moments of the season as the Survivors outwit, outplay and outlast each other to claim the one-million dollar prize.
This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply
Old 08-04-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Manufactured on Demand?

Yes it does. However, it does not necessarily mean this won't get a regular release to all stores. Jersey Shore - Season 1 was released this way, too, being available only via Amazon in the same fashion months before it hit brick & mortar stores

My suggestion is to wait and see if it does get a general release everywhere if you don't want burned DVD-R's. If you've already waited this long a few more months shouldn't matter.
Old 08-04-10, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting is certainly a lot easier, particularly when you are dealing with DVD-Rs. It's not like they're going to run out or anything.
Old 08-04-10, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they'd do this with the Amazing Race, since they only released seasons 1 & 7.